Hurricane Ian's destruction

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I'm waiting for the shot of Mike Seidel bracing himself against the wind while people behind him are walking around.
This is my only real gripe with Hulu. They need to get The Weather Channel badly. It’s unreal entertainment during hurricane and blizzard season.

For all you YTTV homers, I know YTTV has it, so save your typing fingers, please :)

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Fortunately, after Hurricane Andrew in 1992 Florida enacted a very aggressive building code such that anything built after that date is required to withstand hurricane winds up to (I'm guessing here.. 115 MPH). So yes, there will be huge problems and destruction but anything built in the last 30 years should fair pretty well.

Going to be talking to a friend in our building on the Atlantic side later today. Not horrible there, but lots of rain and wind. Unfortunately our building is undergoing concrete restoration and my beach-facing sliding doors are not installed, just plywood make-shift walls. So anxious to see how we did.

You are correct. Even with these winds, it shouldn't be like what happened in Homestead with Andrew.....hopefully.

My wife has friends east of the Tampa area and the main worry is the storm surge and it's coinciding with high tide. That is what is really scaring the locals.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
The Sunshine Skyway Bridge camera they're showing on the weather channel is insane

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I was worried about Sanibel when I saw the hurricane track. With how big the storm surge is, I'd be surprised if there was anything left which is super unfortunate. I loved going there.
Yeah, we went there on vacation a couple times, and really enjoyed it. I cannot imagine going through something like this on that island. Not a lot there to stop it, and the whole island is basically a sand bar of sea shells.

Reactions: GMackey32

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Yeah, we went there on vacation a couple times, and really enjoyed it. I cannot imagine going through something like this on that island. Not a lot there to stop it, and the whole island is basically a sand bar of sea shells.
Pretty much. If the storm surges are truly going to get to 16 feet, nothing on that island will survive except maybe the lighthouse but that's even pushing it.

• Sad
Reactions: Cyclonepride

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Parents place getting hit. Area evacuated yesterday. Neighbors put stuff in pool, etc. for us. Hoping to hear news in a a few days if we will need to head down or not depending upon how quickly neighbors can get back on island. Their place is elevated for storm surges but vehicle, boat, etc could be ruined if bad enough.

Hurricane clean up was not on my radar as part of our harvest duty list.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Pretty much. If the storm surges are truly going to get to 16 feet, nothing on that island will survive except maybe the lighthouse but that's even pushing it.
Yeah we used to vacation down there a lot as a kid, Sanibel is a great place. Really sad to watch. My aunt and uncle have a place in Ft Myers, but its away from the coast a bit so hopefully its safe from the surge.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I was supposed to be in a condo on the beach in Siest Key this week. Friday night we saw Ian developing south of Cuba and moved all our plans to early November. At the time it was a gamble since hurricanes are wildly unpredictable — some peter out, some head in a totally different direction. Definitely glad we made the decision we did.

Best of luck to the people down in FL.

#mostboringpostever

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Yeah we used to vacation down there a lot as a kid, Sannibel is a great place. Really sad to watch. My aunt and uncle have a place in Ft Myers, but its away from the coast a bit so hopefully its safe from the surge.
Sounds like they are set up better than most. It's good that it didn't hit Fort Myers head on.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Live camera from Naples pier

Couldn't find one from Sanibel, as it sounds like most of them are down.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The eye of Ian will pass directly over my mom's house. The construction is rated for winds up to 135 mpg (gusts this morning were 190). She had mentioned yesterday that they would go to a friend's home that was even sturdier if it looked like the storm would strengthen beyond predictions (which it did). I haven't heard from her since yesterday afternoon and don't know where she is currently or if they still have power. The rode out Charley which was a MUCH weaker storm (Charley's eye passed just five miles east of the home they had then), so figured they'd be ok this time and chose not to leave. Left work today because I wasn't particularly focused. I just want to hear something from her.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The eye of Ian will pass directly over my mom's house. The construction is rated for winds up to 135 mpg (gusts this morning were 190). She had mentioned yesterday that they would go to a friend's home that was even sturdier if it looked like the storm would strengthen beyond predictions (which it did). I haven't heard from her since yesterday afternoon and don't know where she is currently or if they still have power. The rode out Charley which was a MUCH weaker storm (Charley's eye passed just five miles east of the home they had then), so figured they'd be ok this time and chose not to leave. Left work today because I wasn't particularly focused. I just want to hear something from her.
Damn man, hope everything works out ok. She is probably fine with zero reception, but I know there are some long hours ahead.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Even 10 ft of surge on Sanibel will submerge the majority of the island. Captiva would be 100% underwater at less than 10 ft.

• Agree

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Even 10 ft of surge on Sanibel will submerge the majority of the island. Captiva would be 100% underwater at less than 10 ft.
My Mom's boss has a home on Sanibel and I'm fairly certain it's not on stilts if I remember correctly. It'll be interesting to hear how much is left of it when its all said and done.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Can you get ahold of the friend at all?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My FIL lives in Palm Harbor. Most recent report --

"Gusty winds here, but nothing too serious."