How to negotiate starting salary (mega-corps)?

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
As a hiring manager thats a dangerous game to play, if you are concerned about employee growth and retention.

I would also add that, in general, the hiring manager generally has very little say over salary (at least in my experience). in my company the HR department handles that completely.

Second thought - often there's more leeway on a hiring bonus than there in on salary. There's usually some give on salary, but it has to fit with the rest of the team. It's not a good idea to bring on a new grad at a higher salary point than a 10-year veteran for a similar position.
At my mega-corp (30,000 global employees) this is absolutely the case. Hiring managers want to pay more to get quality candidates, but are hamstrung by HR/corporate salary grade limits. The biggest thing is to get into the right salary grade. I'd say it's better to be at the bottom of a higher grade than the top of a lower grade because it leaves more room for rapid advancement. When you do good work, the hiring manager can often give you an increase as long as it's within the same grade. Its "harder" to bump grades because they need more objective "proof" that you've earned it.

I'd come at them saying you should be in their highest technical/scientific salary grade. PhD with relevant industry experience is tough to find. At our place, we have engineers (thousands), senior engineers (hundreds) and principle engineers (dozens). You would fall into that principle engineer for us, and they have earning potential similar to section managers (oversee multiple departments) and assistant chief engineers.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
At my mega-corp (30,000 global employees) this is absolutely the case. Hiring managers want to pay more to get quality candidates, but are hamstrung by HR/corporate salary grade limits. The biggest thing is to get into the right salary grade. I'd say it's better to be at the bottom of a higher grade than the top of a lower grade because it leaves more room for rapid advancement. When you do good work, the hiring manager can often give you an increase as long as it's within the same grade. Its "harder" to bump grades because they need more objective "proof" that you've earned it.

I'd come at them saying you should be in their highest technical/scientific salary grade. PhD with relevant industry experience is tough to find. At our place, we have engineers (thousands), senior engineers (hundreds) and principle engineers (dozens). You would fall into that principle engineer for us, and they have earning potential similar to section managers (oversee multiple departments) and assistant chief engineers.

He's also native to the US. Guarantee that's part of why he's field facing. That's a trifecta. PhD, experience, US born.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
How long has the job been open? If it has been a while then you are going to be worth more because they cant find anyone else like you.

Do they have a busy season? If so they might be looking to get the position filled asap and pay a little more to do that.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think what happens a lot of times is people think if they ask for a higher figure than what the company wants to pay, then they'll be out of luck and the company will just move on to the next candidate. I'm sure there are cases where it's really really close between candidates for a certain position and something like that could happen, but I can't imagine it's the norm. In all the hiring I've done, most of the time there's a clear #1 that I want and if they were to ask for a higher figure, I'm going to do what I can to talk them down and absolutely not going to give up on them and move on to candidate #2.

I think your first sentence is true. The company is trying to get the best deal they can.

What I am referring to is the imbalance playing field between a company and an employee. People have been trained to do certain things at a company because its considered professional. Things like don't share you salary, give two weeks notice prior to quitting, work extra hours, etc. But it's perfectly acceptable for a company to terminate/lay off someone without notice, or underpay you compared to your co-workers (as @cowgirl836 experienced).

Employees need to realize that your relationship with a company needs to be mutually beneficial to both parties. That relationship is exchange for an employees time to a company for money. But more often than not, what may start as a mutually beneficial relationship ends up benefiting the company more than the employee. People need to treat themselves in their career to how a company would in its own business dealings. Any business will walk away if they felt a business deal was not beneficial to themselves. And it's hard, but the employee needs to either speak up or terminate their relationship with their employer once it's no longer mutually beneficial. I've personally done this twice.

I apologize for derailing this thread. /vent.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
How long has the job been open? If it has been a while then you are going to be worth more because they cant find anyone else like you.

Do they have a busy season? If so they might be looking to get the position filled asap and pay a little more to do that.

so the position has been open for a while. and they weren't satisfied with the candidate pool during the first round of interviews (this was said during the interview).

I applied and had an email from the manager in like 3 hours. interviewed the next day

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
so the position has been open for a while. and they weren't satisfied with the candidate pool during the first round of interviews (this was said during the interview).

I applied and had an email from the manager in like 3 hours. interviewed the next day
Sounds like your 100k needs to be bumped up then.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
Where is this job located? The cost of living is a huge factor into your salary. But even for low cost of living locations, $100k feels extremely low for your level of education especially considering you also have experience.

• Winner
Reactions: I@ST1 and aauummm

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Where is this job located? The cost of living is a huge factor into your salary. But even for low cost of living locations, $100k feels extremely low for your level of education especially considering you also have experience.
its a 5 state area with the majority of the action in southern michigan, northern indiana, northern ohio.

I grew up VERY poor in western iowa. so thats why 100k sounds like a million dollars to me

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
its a 5 state area with the majority of the action in southern michigan, northern indiana, northern ohio.

I grew up VERY poor in western iowa. so thats why 100k sounds like a million dollars to me

I'd start at $125-$135k. If they like you as a candidate they won't eliminate you, they'll simply come back and say, "our offer is $XYZ". No one is walking away from a desired candidate because the candidate asked for a few grand more than HR was willing to pay.

Also how did they react / body language when you said at least $100k? Did they bat an eye?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'd start at $125-$135k. If they like you as a candidate they won't eliminate you, they'll simply come back and say, "our offer is $XYZ". No one is walking away from a desired candidate because the candidate asked for a few grand more than HR was willing to pay.

Also how did they react / body language when you said at least $100k? Did they bat an eye?

Especially when they're one failed round in the hole

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and 1Nation

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Another kid in daycare it'll feel pedestrian :p but seriously, that's absolutely the sandbox you should be playing in.