How fast do you drive on the Interstate?

How fast do you drive on the Interstate?

• Speed limit or under

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 1-5 MPH Over

Votes: 110 33.1%
  • 6-10 MPH Over

Votes: 191 57.5%
  • 10+ MPH Over

Votes: 21 6.3%

• Total voters

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
What I hate is when a person slowly passes you at about .5 MPH faster than you and then pulls directly in front of you the moment they clear. That's usually when I pull into the left lane and punch it.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Another lost art...merging. Thought of this thread when I recently got on the interstate. Check the lanes as you're coming down the ramp and space yourself to hit an empty spot, don't blast down the ramp assuming there's an open spot. I did that, so second point, be at your intended speed when you get to the merge section, don't assume everyone will slow down or get over while you take your sweet time getting up to speed. I did that, so point 3, re-evaluate the traffic around you...I saw there was a car in the second lane (3 lane section) when I was coming down the ramp, so I'm good. I come off the ramp at 70, that car ends up just in my blind spot going 70 right along with me. I checked in front and behind, there were cars ahead, but quite a gap behind, so I actually slowed down to 65 until I spaced well between that other car and one that was behind, rather that just hum along with the other car in my blind spot going the same speed forever.

I find it worse when the car in front of me is trying to merge at 50 mph. :realmad:

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I find it worse when the car in front of me is trying to merge at 50 mph. :realmad:
This makes me think of other drivers around me when merging onto I-35 south from highway 30 east bound. So many drivers in front of me slow down when driving on that on-ramp at exit 151A. Do people not realize the on-ramp is banked so they can maintain their 65 mph speed, so they don't need to slow down? Doesn't seem like it.