Housing market

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Because you line up the listings and if you get a load of listings, people will call the company on the sign they see in the yard or who advertises the large volume of listings.

If the buyer uses someone else, they see the sellers rate and decide to sell through them and he will get repeat customers.

So you are exactly right, make it up in volume a.k.a bulk.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
If that’s true thats a good deal. Why would Charter take $2500 and pass on 5 figures. Not buying it. Doesn’t pass the smell test. Not even close.
It's not hard to believe given the current market. Sellers agents don't have to work much to sell a house. Buyer's agents are showing a boatload of houses to get turned away. When I sold my last house I paid my agent 1.5%. 5 figures at 1.5% is a $675k sale. The buyers agent is still typically getting 3%.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Anybody have experience (good, bad, or indifferent), with modular homes / mobile homes / manufactured housing / double wides / whatever you want to call them?

Looking in the PNW and there seem to be a fair number of them on actual pieces of real estate (as opposed to being in a mobile home park).

I'd prefer a conventionally built house for a few reasons, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of some of them (not to mention the lower price tag). There are quite a few I've seen that appear to be pretty well maintained and built (at least from the pictures).

TIA

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Anybody have experience (good, bad, or indifferent), with modular homes / mobile homes / manufactured housing / double wides / whatever you want to call them?

Looking in the PNW and there seem to be a fair number of them on actual pieces of real estate (as opposed to being in a mobile home park).

I'd prefer a conventionally built house for a few reasons, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of some of them (not to mention the lower price tag). There are quite a few I've seen that appear to be pretty well maintained and built (at least from the pictures).

TIA

we just sold our home (mid 2000's modular home). I really liked the house. My wife and I basically replaced everything on the inside in the 7 or so years we owned it so there's that.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to

TIA

I don’t but I’m also interested. I have a job interview for a position in Bremerton, WA. Real estate is lol

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

TIA
Modular are different than the rest. The others are all names of manufactured homes. They are built to lower standards than modular homes. Manufactured homes take a hit on resale. They have a plate on them declaring it and it has to be disclosed. Modular homes don’t.

If you want a fast build but still close to stick, go with panelized homes. Walls are built in the factory and then a crane Comes and erects the home and it is shelled in 24 hours. The rest is all done on site and you can change things up some as you go.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
If that’s true thats a good deal. Why would Charter take $2500 and pass on 5 figures. Not buying it. Doesn’t pass the smell test. Not even close.

I've used Charter twice, it most definitely is $3k to him, the other 3% to the buyer's agent. Nothing funky about it, I was very happy with his service & sold both homes within a month at or above asking.

Reactions: wxman1

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa

TIA
The house we just sold was a modular built back in '82, you wouldn't know it wasn't a conventional built house. We are looking at doing one eventually when we have the opportunity.

Reactions: I@ST1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We have been looking at building and Wausau is one that we have been in contact with. They do panelized like @BCClone discussed. All structure is built in the factory, shipped to the site and pretty much completely up in one day. They claim a faster build time as they are building in the factory at the same time as site work and the foundation going in.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We have been looking at building and Wausau is one that we have been in contact with. They do panelized like @BCClone discussed. All structure is built in the factory, shipped to the site and pretty much completely up in one day. They claim a faster build time as they are building in the factory at the same time as site work and the foundation going in.
We liked the fact that it was shelled up so fast. I’ve seen houses sit for days getting pounded with rain and the roof sheeting starts to warp and they just trail it back down and shingle over them. The interior studs also get wet then.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
manufactured homes typically have poor resale. They're ok, but not the best quality.

We just bought one off an adjacent property to eliminate the chances of it turning into a rental or a compound (has another mobile home on it, both were owned by land owners family).

What I learned along the way...any moved double wides, as well as single wides on land are hard to get mortgage financing on. I was going to move the double wide to another property I have that I want to sell, but am now selling it outright as it could complicate financing the sale for a buyer.

I'm making money regardless...and my 'de-compounding' will help preserve the value of the property we already own.

Reactions: khardbored

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Heard a story on NPR this morning (can't find a link though...) saying that housing starts are lagging because there aren't enough construction workers. They said it could take a decade for the necessary labor to come up to the point that we could build houses as fast as we were pre-2008, meaning prices could stay quite high for a long time yet. This is on top of zoning/regulations that hamper builders.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I see now that homes in west Phoenix are now around 300k. That would be like living in South Central LA. It said in AZ central that home values in the valley went up 25% alone in May. I'm looking to get out of here. I can't afford to buy a place.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Heard a story on NPR this morning (can't find a link though...) saying that housing starts are lagging because there aren't enough construction workers. They said it could take a decade for the necessary labor to come up to the point that we could build houses as fast as we were pre-2008, meaning prices could stay quite high for a long time yet. This is on top of zoning/regulations that hamper builders.

Planet Money did an episode on that topic in the last week or two.

We were looking to build early next year. Base prices have gone up about $35k since our last quote in April.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I see now that homes in west Phoenix are now around 300k. That would be like living in South Central LA. It said in AZ central that home values in the valley went up 25% alone in May. I'm looking to get out of here. I can't afford to buy a place.

We sold our house in the east valley last year. It was sold again one year to the day from when we sold it. In one year they got $210k more than we did. That stings but what are you going to do. I was very happy with what we got when we sold it.

It sold for just over double what we paid for it seven years ago.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
We sold our house in the east valley last year. It was sold again one year to the day from when we sold it. In one year they got $210k more than we did. That stings but what are you going to do. I was very happy with what we got when we sold it.

It sold for just over double what we paid for it seven years ago.
I would have done the same thing. It's nuts. Who the hell is going to pay 300k to live in Litchfield Park?lol Massive gentrification of Greater PHX is coming especially with all the tech companies moving in.