Housing market

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It never ceases to amaze me the ability that college-educated upper-middle class people have to talk themselves into the belief they're some sort of proletariat that needs a ton of help to get by.
One of the biggest subsidies / handouts is the home mortgage interest deduction. Luckily it is capped at like $750k, so the truly impoverished are taken care of.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
One of the biggest subsidies / handouts is the home mortgage interest deduction. Luckily it is capped at like $750k, so the truly impoverished are taken care of.

Indeed.

The truly impoverished don't own their residence.

Even if they did, they're not likely to be paying much interest on a relatively small loan to cover what is likely a very modest home by Cyclone Fanatic standards. They're not going to have much income tax liability or have a very high marginal rate, either, so the impact of the deduction is very limited.

But if you're part of a two-income household of two college grads with their kids who bought a $675,000 house in a prosperous midwestern suburb (e.g., Ankeny), then the MID is a nice windfall.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Actually that has become a very minimal thing in the Midwest the last few years. With the new high deduction for taxes and low internet rates. Take a 500k house with 20% down. You have your 2.5% internet rate and your deduction first year is less than 10k. If you are buying a house now, with 6-7% rates, it probably does make a difference.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Actually that has become a very minimal thing in the Midwest the last few years. With the new high deduction for taxes and low internet rates. Take a 500k house with 20% down. You have your 2.5% internet rate and your deduction first year is less than 10k. If you are buying a house now, with 6-7% rates, it probably does make a difference.
That's true, but again - who IS using itemized deductions? NOT the lower-income folks, and not even medium-income. So who does this subsidy help?

If the goal is to help people own their own home, there are better ways.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
That's true, but again - who IS using itemized deductions? NOT the lower-income folks, and not even medium-income. So who does this subsidy help?

If the goal is to help people own their own home, there are better ways.
We have tried other ways to get people into a home and the programs usually have too much red tape and fall flat. Remember that 1st time home buyer credit? The Obama administration ran that special during a recession and when banks weren't lending to anyone.

Just a couple:
-Downpayment Act $25K for a downpayment
-No/Low Payment Mortgages through Fannie/Freddie
-HUD has numerous programs
-DPA programs

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We have tried other ways to get people into a home and the programs usually have too much red tape and fall flat. Remember that 1st time home buyer credit? The Obama administration ran that special during a recession and when banks weren't lending to anyone.

Just a couple:
-DPA programs
FHA has programs where only 3% down is needed.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Just a couple:
-DPA programs

I did some work with Habitat. Went over documents with borrowers and a general discussion about the program.

Folks working there said the biggest challenge is getting those borrowers to come back even after taking the step of submitting docs and talking to a representative.

No idea if that still holds true, but surprising at the time

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
I don’t know, but what I can tell you is that many of the appraisals I did( I stopped about a year and a half ago- no money if you don’t own the business) we maxing out and many we’re refi’s that the owners were rolling stuff into them. The company owner did the FHA loans and basically that is all he did because we had more of those than regular ones. 3-5% down was typical and several times the owner was handing back 3% for closing costs (basically making a 0 down loan). Now we are supposed to subtract those from the value, but the industry had decided they were too common (me as an outsider, I believe they did it because very few appraisals would have worked otherwise). There is a new mortgage mess with new games that were played. The employment market will determine if we have a rash of foreclosures or not.
Hard to believe (not hard to believe!) that lenders would play with this type of fire again. What the hell, moral hazard for all!

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Washington State has a dpa program with the household income max of $160k, i was surprised at one so high but then those housing costs.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In a hot market it’s hard to get those accepted, isn’t it?
No. Just a little slower. Generally they bid higher since approval may not be as certain. I know this was a while ago but when the wife and I sold our first house, we had 2 offers, a pre approved for just under ask and an FHA for a little over ask. We took the guaranteed money knowing that FHA could have small hiccups and it takes about a month longer with paperwork. (Side note, apparently my FIL worked in the same area as the FHA people and they were bad mouthing us left and right for awhile). With the current environment, everything takes another 3-4 weeks so paperwork may work itself out.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Zillow has my house valued at 12% lower than Redfin and 5% higher than Movato.

Short story? No one knows.

I have a 6-figure difference between Zillow and Movoto (which also has demonstrably significantly wrong information). Redfin doesn’t have enough info. Those sites are pretty good if you’re in an area with a lot of data and comps, but when they go wrong, they go WAY wrong.

Reactions: Des Moines Clone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have a 6-figure difference between Zillow and Movoto (which also has demonstrably significantly wrong information). Redfin doesn’t have enough info. Those sites are pretty good if you’re in an area with a lot of data and comps, but when they go wrong, they go WAY wrong.
Zillow showed 292. Movoto says 172 and has picture of our neighbors house and Redfin doesn’t even have anything in the town. Having been an appraiser, eyeballing— I would put ours in that 260-280 area. Small town Iowa. Although some have pushed higher and Zillow could be possible pending the buyer.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
No. Just a little slower. Generally they bid higher since approval may not be as certain. I know this was a while ago but when the wife and I sold our first house, we had 2 offers, a pre approved for just under ask and an FHA for a little over ask. We took the guaranteed money knowing that FHA could have small hiccups and it takes about a month longer with paperwork. (Side note, apparently my FIL worked in the same area as the FHA people and they were bad mouthing us left and right for awhile). With the current environment, everything takes another 3-4 weeks so paperwork may work itself out.
But with cash offers and needing to fix things, pretty sure fha around here were not winning bids.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
But with cash offers and needing to fix things, pretty sure fha around here were not winning bids.
Probably not. Most people aren’t willing to take a risk that there is a hiccup especially if they are buying a house with proceeds from that house. Many of the these were first timers or houses that people didn’t need the funds as fast. More I think about it, it’s weird the amount of FHA loans we had coming into us compared to conventional. Even had some nice homes that needed to have some work done to them to get them back to condition. Houses that were 200k plus. In a town of a couple thousand you didn’t find many houses over 200k so it was odd that they would still qualify.

Reactions: simply1

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Is there a link to the source of this chart? I would like to try and track this on a somewhat periodic basis as my wife and I may be in the market for a house come next year
It was on Twitter which according to 50% of America won't exist next year

Help Support Us

Become a patron