Home Security System

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I am looking to change my home security system provider (Currently with ProtectionOne) It started out 23 dollars 5 years ago but it's 35 dollars now. 50% increase in 5 years for bare bone service. I don't get any fancy app control or anything.

What do you use? How much do you pay? Anyone have AT&T system?

Thanks all!

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Not sure how tech savvy you are, or how much work you want to put in yourself, but you could try installing Dropcam cameras yourself.
Cameras are $200 each.

Cloud recording costs $99/year and the footage is stored for 7 days. 30 day storage is $299/year.

I do not have these but I've read good reviews.
They give you motion detection, alerts to you phone and ability to view live footage from your phone.

https://www.dropcam.com/

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I am looking to change my home security system provider (Currently with ProtectionOne) It started out 23 dollars 5 years ago but it's 35 dollars now. 50% increase in 5 years for bare bone service. I don't get any fancy app control or anything.

What do you use? How much do you pay? Anyone have AT&T system?

Thanks all!

We use a local company called Dynatek and pay $35/month but $5 of that is the cellular box since we don't have a home phone.

DO4ISU

May 16, 2007
I use LifeShield. It is a DIRECTV Company. So if you go with them you will also get $10 off your DIRECTV bill every month.

http://www.lifeshield.com/ps-nat-br...shield|pmt|e|pdv|c&_vsrefdom=Brand_LifeShield

Plus there is a Referral Program. My Referral Code is 716346886.

At LifeShield we value our customers. To show our appreciation to those that recommend us to friends, family and neighbors, you will receive a $150 coupon* towards any purchase in the LifeShield online store.
Plus, your friend will receive a $100 coupon* towards any purchase in the LifeShield online store. You can use your coupon toward accessories and equipment, and expand your LifeShield system. Try new products or add additional sensors to maximize your security:

- Indoor camera
- Additional window or door sensors
- Glass break sensor
- Keychain remote
And More!

Simply use your Referral Code found on the first page of your setup guide, and give it to everyone you know. When they call LifeShield at (877) 563-9925 be sure they use your code so that you both receive your coupon. It’s that easy!

Read more: http://www.lifeshield.com/customers/referral-program/#ixzz3SaX6mVhe

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
There was one installed in my house when we bought it. Unhooked it as soon as we moved in and haven't touched it since. I live in an Iowa suburb, I'm more likely to get hit by a meteor than have a break in.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'd highly suggest Frontpoint - Alarm.com. Self install cellular system that has phone app applications.

Why we liked it:
1. Cellular system - works if power, phone lines are cut or "down." Each unit sends signal through to company, not through your "box" so, even if someone breaks your control box, it still works.

2. Garage - we have sensors in our garage - with tools, expensive maintenance equipment, yada yada, I wanted my garage on the system. With the remote app you can disarm/arm your system in your car, and we have sensors on our garage doors and windows.

3. Separate codes for separate people. You know who is coming and going. You can give family members their own unique codes, so you know who is coming and going from the house.

4. Install was easy, and we can add to the system anytime we want by just buying a device and linking it. For example, we started with glass breaks for big areas, but are slowing adding window sensors.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
chuckheston_460x276.jpg

:jimlad:

Seriously though, I don't have one, and am kinda a DIY guy. I have looked into DSC systems and the Simplisafe stuff too :yes:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Hey ruxCYtable, do you have Simplisafe? I was kind of looking into that one myself.
Yes I do. Very happy with it. Only hiccup was I ordered a refurbished unit and it came with a T-Mobile chip in it, which had trouble connecting to them. They sent me a unit with a Verizon chip and no problems since. Absolutely love it and a great value. I actually also pay $10 extra per month so I can control it from my smartphone, so I pay $25/mo.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron