Hoiberg fired from the Bulls

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Let's face it, more than half of NBA coaching gigs are dead end jobs. I'm still amazed the number of people who think the Bulls are a disaster of a franchise but the Timberwolves aren't. As a first time NBA coach, you have to take your chance. I fully think Fred knew this going in.

The T-wolves at least have KAT. Other than that they are they same.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
It’s media members far more connected than any of us saying he’ll be back in college coaching. I’m an idiot fan, but it’s not like I’m the only one thinking this.
Are these the same media members with connections that think Campbell was going to definitely leave Iowa State? They just make up stuff based on general trends and hope some of it sticks. Then they can say they predicted it while ignoring the 10 times as many things they got wrong.

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So he gets screwed on one player and then just gives up because life is not fair. Why not go and find another Monte or Georges and go on. I mean you win some you lose some. To base your coaching preference based on one recruit is so dumb, and to me Hoiberg doesn't seem dumb.

He left ISU to knowingly be a part of a **** show in Chicago where there is no way he could've thought that he would be competing for titles with those players and that leadership. Otherwise he is just that stupid. He wanted out of ISU for other reasons than recruiting and Bulls the dream job thing. It would be nice to know the real reason(s).

Fred's dream job was always going to the NBA and yes he thought he could succeed in Chicago

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Fred's dream job was always going to the NBA and yes he thought he could succeed in Chicago

I admire his confidence in himself.

I’ll never understand why he would hitch his wagon to the slime ball that is Gar.

• Agree
Reactions: legi

CYandIareBFFs

Jan 24, 2011
Milwaukee
Fred never had a healthy, cohesive roster to work with. That said I don't think he was really the right fit for the job from the start anyways. Wish him the best to wherever he lands.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
So he gets screwed on one player and then just gives up because life is not fair. Why not go and find another Monte or Georges and go on. I mean you win some you lose some. To base your coaching preference based on one recruit is so dumb, and to me Hoiberg doesn't seem dumb.

He left ISU to knowingly be a part of a **** show in Chicago where there is no way he could've thought that he would be competing for titles with those players and that leadership. Otherwise he is just that stupid. He wanted out of ISU for other reasons than recruiting and Bulls the dream job thing. It would be nice to know the real reason(s).
I think that it was one of his mistakes here, but it wasn’t just one time. There were a few of them that we had that were that shady recruiting. His mistake was going all in on those guys. He should have focused more on the Georges and Montes of the world.

• Agree
Reactions: legi

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Everyone knew in May of 2015 this was going to be an epic failure and that in 3 years both Iowa State and the Bulls would be in worse shape. He should have stayed at ISU.
giphy.gif

Reactions: BCClone and CyTwins

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
And just like that my brief time as a bulls fan is over... I readily admit I don't know much about basketball or the NBA, but even I could see he never stood a chance with that front office in Chicago. Hope he gets another chance with a more competent group. Really don't want to see him back in the NCAA, but I don't believe he wants that anyway from what I've read.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
..... I don’t think he liked living in Ames. No harm in that.

Fred's interest in the Gopher job would seem to support this take. This move would not have fit either the 'NBA dream' or 'hates recruiting' narrative.

• Winner
Reactions: xr4ticlone

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If Fred did come back to college, you would have to think it would only be for an elite job where recruiting almost took care of itself.

• Agree
Reactions: CyJeans

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
And just like that my brief time as a bulls fan is over... I readily admit I don't know much about basketball or the NBA, but even I could see he never stood a chance with that front office in Chicago. Hope he gets another chance with a more competent group. Really don't want to see him back in the NCAA, but I don't believe he wants that anyway from what I've read.

Go be a nuggets fan. They seem to be well coached. They love Monte. And they are good.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don’t think there is anyway that Hoiberg goes to KU, but if he does, KU’s conference winning streak would end. He is a great offensive coach, but can’t coach defense.

And I personally would not trade Prohm for Hoiberg. I think Prohm is a better recruiter and coach.

Trying not to get too off topic here... I still like Fred and appreciate the years and success when he coached here but I agree with you, between the 2 I think Prohm is a better college coach. Prohm is actually building a program and culture that can hopefully sustain winning over the long term instead of the peaks and valleys we have seen in the past with this program. Prohm likes recruiting and he's proven he can bring elite HS talent to Ames so far. I think he runs a tighter ship with his discipline too and we're seeing a shift towards playing better defense while maintaining a very similar approach on offense to what Fred ran. Fred did bring in some good HS talent like Niang, Naz, Monte, and Thomas but outside of that it was pretty thin and left Prohm with a 2 year recruiting gap when it came to HS players when he left too.

I wish Fred the best of luck and hope he finds a job that makes him happy.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
He's not going anywhere next year. He gets a guaranteed $5 million as long as he doesn't take another head coach job in the NBA. I'm guessing he's going to take that time to spend with his family.

What would be awesome is if he's so bored sitting at home that he decides to come to help Prohm here in Ames for some "pro-bono" work on the Cyclones offense.