Hockey Goalies Too Large (The Case For Larger Goals)

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
didnt they shrink the goalie pads several years ago? maybe do that again instead of making the goal bigger.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think understanding the rules is the problem.

If I educate every American on hockey's rules most of them still won't tune in.
There are some people who don't understand some sports and have no desire to and there are others who can find something to appreciate in every sport. I like to be in the latter camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSYclone22

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
The problem is, they don’t get the rules. If people don’t understand the rules they think it’s a dumb game.
This was somewhat of a problem for me. I didn't understand why the game was being played the way it is until I understood offsides and icing. Now it is much more enjoyable for me.

I even had a hockey video game but turned those rules off.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This was somewhat of a problem for me. I didn't understand why the game was being played the way it is until I understood offsides and icing. Now it is much more enjoyable for me.

I even had a hockey video game but turned those rules off.

I taught myself cricket from listening to Talksport while I work, just from the cut ins when there were big tests going. Hockey is easy even compared to basketball and American football.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
I've always said a team should just go get the biggest sumo wrestler or something and sit him down in front of the goal.

I think I'm onto something. Or maybe I'm on something.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The last time the NHL averaged 3 goals per game 2 years in a row before the 2018/19 and 2019/20 seasons was the early 90s. The NHL is on pace for 3 years in a row currently. Goals are up. Even if they change the size of the goals most still won’t tune in. The problem is, they don’t get the rules. If people don’t understand the rules they think it’s a dumb game.

Hockey's a niche sport in the U.S., always has been a niche sport, and always is going to be a niche sport. No amount of rule changes to give unneeded advantages to offenses so they can score insane numbers of goals is ever going to change that status.

I think you're overstating the rules factoring into peoples' opinion of the game. It's not that difficult of a game to figure out - round black object goes into the goal, and people are allowed to hit other people. It's just that outside of northern cities in the northeast and north central U.S. and several southern cities like Tampa, Nashville, Raleigh, and Las Vegas, the general public just doesn't care, and no matter how much the league whores itself out to cater to those people, they're not going to change their minds.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hockey's a niche sport in the U.S., always has been a niche sport, and always is going to be a niche sport. No amount of rule changes to give unneeded advantages to offenses so they can score insane numbers of goals is ever going to change that status.

I think you're overstating the rules factoring into peoples' opinion of the game. It's not that difficult of a game to figure out - round black object goes into the goal, and people are allowed to hit other people. It's just that outside of northern cities in the northeast and north central U.S. and several southern cities like Tampa, Nashville, Raleigh, and Las Vegas, the general public just doesn't care, and no matter how much the league whores itself out to cater to those people, they're not going to change their minds.

A big me up is coming at the next Winter Olympics assuming the NHL agrees to let their players go again. The US team will be as stacked as it’s ever been.

Help Support Us

Become a patron