Hilton Madness and secret scrimmage?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
From my understanding, Hilton Madness was a Fred thing that he wanted to see built up into something big like what they do at Kansas or Kentucky like eventually having celebrities show up. Ultimately that plan either died out because they didn't see it feasible or it died when Fred left.

We had it in 1982 when I was a freshman - and it was at midnight.

Reactions: Aclone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Lol Lewis is not and never will be a 4 or be able to play at that spot
Lol, you old school position guys.

Think of him as the 4th guard if you need to. Prohm has already commented on one of Haliburton, Nixon, and Bolton playing the 4, or at least playing with those three plus another guard for those big on archaic lineups

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Think of him as the 4th guard if you need to. Prohm has already commented on one of Haliburton, Nixon, and Bolton playing the 4, or at least playing with those three plus another guard for those big on archaic lineups

Playing your five best men, rather than trying to jam them into archaic lineups, seems to be what Prohm does. Jacobson and Young and very likely to be 2/5 of our best men, and adding in Conditt might make those big men into 3/6 of our best players.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

If you’re going to play 4 guards, your “big guard” better be able to rebound and defend in the post. Lewis can do neither.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I would rather him be another Ejim type player, or a Fizer type player, maybe even a Kenny Pratt, or Damion Staple type player! Why is everyone so obsessed with wanting everyone to be like Hogue? I get it he is and was a damn good player. But the wishful comparison everyone has on this board is getting old. Find another player to want current players to be like!
Very strange thing to get bent about.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Very strange thing to get bent about.
It used to not bother me but he seems to be the only player people remember when thinking about a hard nosed player who rebounds well. There were plenty of other guys who did it just as well or better. It was just my get off my lawn rant of the night.

Reactions: Doc and Cydkar

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
It used to not bother me but he seems to be the only player people remember when thinking about a hard nosed player who rebounds well. There were plenty of other guys who did it just as well or better. It was just my get off my lawn rant of the night.
6'-4" - 6"-8" black guy = Dustin Hogue.
White guy under 6'-8" = Matt Thomas.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If you’re going to play 4 guards, your “big guard” better be able to rebound and defend in the post. Lewis can do neither.
No, your offense-defense net impact just needs to be better than the alternative. The alternative is basically Griffin or guards equally unproven in defending and rebounding.

No one is suggesting he play major minutes there, but if we're looking at Nixon, Tyrese, or Bolton playing the four, then Lewis isn't out of the question.

The shooting of Nixon plus Young and Jacobson is going to necessitate at times a willingness to have a liability at the four on defense.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Granted that was just a practice but....WOOF!

Either our defense is much improved or our shot selection and ball handling need vast improvement.

Lots of turnovers, only one that could handle the ball was Haliburton.

We left about 10 till 5 and I could count the number of made shots on my fingers. Lots of situational full court.

I’m sure things will improve and likely jitters with the crowd but.....Griffin looked the most impressive!

Good. Because if you leave a practice and the offense is lighting it up it means nobody is playing defense. These players know each others moves and tendencies and practice is completely situational unless its a full scrimmage.

Nixon, Bolton, Tre Jackson didn't seem to have trouble handling the ball in the 3 games in Italy. I'm sure it was a struggle at times...happens some practices.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
No, your offense-defense net impact just needs to be better than the alternative. The alternative is basically Griffin or guards equally unproven in defending and rebounding.

No one is suggesting he play major minutes there, but if we're looking at Nixon, Tyrese, or Bolton playing the four, then Lewis isn't out of the question.

The shooting of Nixon plus Young and Jacobson is going to necessitate at times a willingness to have a liability at the four on defense.

Lewis has hardly done anything to show he belongs on the floor. Let alone play way out of position and get abused on defense.

Edit: And if you’re expecting Nixon to be a good shooter, be prepared to be disappointed. He’s inconsistent at best. At least that’s what he’s shown so far.

• Optimistic
Reactions: isutrevman

dshindy

Jun 23, 2014
Johnston
Lewis has hardly done anything to show he belongs on the floor. Let alone play way out of position and get abused on defense.

Edit: And if you’re expecting Nixon to be a good shooter, be prepared to be disappointed. He’s inconsistent at best. At least that’s what he’s shown so far.

You misunderstood his point. He doesn't think Nixon is a good shooter.

He's saying Prohm might be willing to use more offensive firepower at times at the 4, even if it puts us in a disadvantageous position defensively, because Nixon is not a good shooter.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
You misunderstood his point. He doesn't think Nixon is a good shooter.

He's saying Prohm might be willing to use more offensive firepower at times at the 4, even if it puts us in a disadvantageous position defensively, because Nixon is not a good shooter.

Ah I see. My point still stands Lewis can’t play the 4.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
I'm hoping Griffin is a better rebounding Deonte Burton.

I wish, Burton was an unstoppable stud when he was on. Griffin looks tough and a good rebounder. He can spell a break for Jacobson, but thats about as far as I'll go.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
From the practice...Seemed to me that Solo and Griffin are ready to play. Leech can move like lightening.

Solo did his best when he was with the right players and was not double-teamed in the paint. Griffin really looked tough and a good rebounder, but I don't remember if he shot a 3-pointer or not? Leech look really good as he always did in Cap City if you watched, always a question of does he need to put more weight on before he plays?

Reactions: Aclone

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
The day looked like a defensive exercise, with lots of press defense. The offense didn't look very organized to me. You never saw the starting Squad together. It seems like Halliburton and Bolton are going to be your key guards on offense. I'm not sure how much Nixon will be scoring.