HEY !! There was a game today

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Even our ever-reliable information hound, mred, isn't here as much as he used to be.

I always have to miss the Wednesday games due to other obligations, but with my kids getting older and having various things going on it feels like I usually end up not watching the weekend games either. I need to make more of a point to do that. I'm reading the board as much as always, but I feel I haven't had a whole lot to contribute recently.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I always have to miss the Wednesday games due to other obligations, but with my kids getting older and having various things going on it feels like I usually end up not watching the weekend games either. I need to make more of a point to do that. I'm reading the board as much as always, but I feel I haven't had a whole lot to contribute recently.

Not calling you out (which I hope you already know that). Just always like seeing the hidden details you always manage to dig up. :) Life moves forward and people get busy with stuff they didn't have previously. It's why we rarely make road games anymore.

On a side note after seeing that the Big 12 looks like a three-bid league this year (unless WVU makes a strong move this month), it sure seems like a long time ago that the Big 12 had its top SEVEN programs all hosting NCAA 1st and 2nd round games as rewards for being a top 16 seed. Ok, it WAS a long time ago. But, it's kinda sad that the Big 12 will likely never be that good again.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
No offense taken whatsoever.

To be fair, it's easier to get 7 teams in the top 16 when you have 12 instead of 10. But like you said, we're nowhere near that point.

They are talking about 8 men teams making it. If the Big 12 WBB wants more than 5 or 6, they are going to have to step up in the nonconference and prove their ability there. Hate to say it, but a lot of perception about quality of leagues/teams is set before conference begins.

• Agree
Reactions: geewago

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
To be fair, it's easier to get 7 teams in the top 16 when you have 12 instead of 10. But like you said, we're nowhere near that point.

I made myself curious about that season (2002), so I went searching the Googles to better recall how that year's tournament went down for the Big 12. Oklahoma was a 1 seed that season and went on to play UCONN for the national title. Baylor was a 2 seed. Colorado, Iowa State, and Kansas State were 3 seeds. Texas and Texas Tech were 4 seeds. Every Big 12 team that made the tournament was a host school for 1st and 2nd round games. As for the fates of the other league teams that year: Baylor was upset in the 2nd round by Drake and, as many will recall, Iowa State lost to 11 seed BYU (this was the year ISU was hosting 1st and 2nd round games PLUS the regional games). Texas lost to Duke in the Sweet 16. Colorado advance all the way to the regional final, losing to national runner-up OU. Texas Tech also lost to OU in the regional semis. Kansas State advanced to their regional semi-finals, losing to ODU. Pretty decent showing, overall - regardless of the ISU and Baylor early exits.