Heisman Finalists

cymaniac17

Jan 25, 2010
Parts Unknown
Seriously? I would have had James going to NYC, but not over Ball. Ball leads the nation in rushing (and carries at 6.4 ypc), and is just two TDs away from breaking Barry Sanders' single season record. James is great, and I'd have put him in over Honey Badger. But Ball absolutely deserves to be there.

True. He is going to break sanders record of 39 TD's... BUT sanders did that in 11 games! And He scored 5 TD's in the bowl game but they didnt count bowl games back then for stats. So when someone scores 45 TD's in a year, then they can say they broke the single season record.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Well we will agree to disagree. Because imo outside of RG3, James is the most exciting player in the country to watch.

Well if we are going to go by that, then Denard Robinson should probably be there too.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
True. He is going to break sanders record of 39 TD's... BUT sanders did that in 11 games! And He scored 5 TD's in the bowl game but they didnt count bowl games back then for stats. So when someone scores 45 TD's in a year, then they can say they broke the single season record.

Roger Maris didn't break Babe Ruth's single-season HR record (he played in more games). Hank Aaron didn't break the career record (he played in nearly 800 more games than Ruth).

See how ridiculous that sounds?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Roger Maris didn't break Babe Ruth's single-season HR record (he played in more games). Hank Aaron didn't break the career record (he played in nearly 800 more games than Ruth).

See how ridiculous that sounds?
What's ridiculous to me is that they are picking an arbitrary date to start counting bowl games. Guess what, we have the bowl game data for years past. Why isnt the record 44 TDs? They know how many Barry scored in his bowl game? How silly is that?

Do you also know for years the record books had both Ruth and Maris listed as the single season home run leaders? Maris actually died before they made him the sole record holder.

And comparing a single season mark to a career record is just silly. Longevity is part of what makes career statistics so important. Single season records are meant to be compared over equivalent time frames, or else you wouldn't have them.

Last edited:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
What's ridiculous to me is that they are picking an arbitrary date to start counting bowl games. Guess what, we have the bowl game data for years past. Why isnt the record 44 TDs? They know how many Barry scored in his bowl game? How silly is that?

Do you also know for years the record books had both Ruth and Maris listed as the single season home run leaders? Maris actually died before they made him the sole record holder.

And comparing a single season mark to a career record is just silly. Longevity is part of what makes career statistics so important. Single season records are meant to be compared over equivalent time frames, or else you wouldn't have them.

Yes, I'm well aware of the fact there were separate records for years. Then it was rewritten. Because separate records was a stupid idea. Ruth played a longer season than the guy who held the record before him. So if we're going to go with the same timeframe, we have to go by how many each player had by THAT number of games, not 154.

However, I was not aware that Sanders' mark didn't include his bowl performance. So yes, his mark should be at 44 (or however many more than 39).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron