Hearing a Campbell to Nebraska rumor...

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
FootballScoop has good sources. If they posted that article, that means someone at Nebraska is serious about Campbell. It’s not just someone throwing crap at wall. Obviously, it doesn’t mean he’s going anywhere.
I agree someone there probably is serious about him, that really doesnt mean much, hell Drake could be serious about hiring him, doesnt mean they will or he would go there, or even consider it. As far as anyone knows no one has even talked to Campbell, or the university about him.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Why would CMC leave ISU? He’s going to make over $3.5 mil with a new contract in about a week probably and it could get closer to $4mil honestly...No way Neb pays over that first off..Second, CMC chances of winning the big 12 are better at ISU than winning the BIG at that dumpster fire right now. Heck in year 2 with a very young ISU team if a couple plays fall ISU way we are playing OU for the big 12 title..And this is with an OU, OSU, TCU, WV teams with stud SR QB’s.

Sorry but Neb cannot afford to buyout CMC...As of sftart of this year ISU has made over $40 million more in TV revenue than Neb since Neb left the big 12. $40 mil more. Matter of fact Neb wont break even with ISU in TV revenue until at least 2023. That is over 10 years ot break even with Little ole ISU since leaving the conference.

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
I'm not sure why any coach would want to take the Nebraska job right now. Nebraska fans have super high expectations about the quality of their football program but fail to realize that they're no longer the powerhouse of the Big 8/12, they're an average Big Ten West team that gets their ass handed to them by Wisconsin every year.

Outside of Lincoln and Omaha, you're having to try and steal recruits from other states. Before, they essentially had to compete against the other Big 8/12 schools and a couple SWC teams from the Great Plains region, now they're trying to compete against Iowa, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Pittsburgh and Penn State for kids in the Great Lakes region, where Nebraska has absolutely no history or connections. Why would recruits go play for Nebraska, which seems so far away when you can play for another program that seems just as good and much closer and has history and connections there? Nebraska can definitely made into a respectable program again with it being in Lincoln, their tradition and national titles, a 90k person stadium, etc. but their fanbase demands a top tier elite team, which I think only a miracle coach could deliver to them at this point. I think that the fanbase would become very unhappy with in a matter of a couple years if they don't win the Big Ten or at least appear in the conference championship game a couple times.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Matt is a very bright guy, and all I can say is he’s very committed to (Toledo), and very selfishly, I think he has a really good job,” O’Brien said. “He can build something very special.” And it may be what keeps him around a little while longer.

“Last year was the first time I really felt like our football program was close to where I wanted it to be,” Campbell said. “Even though we were 9-4, we had some really tough injuries, but our team never folded its tent. Our kids never complained, never whined, never quit, they just kept coming. We’re building something special and that’s been really exciting for me.”

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
At this point in time Nebraska isn’t any better than Iowa State. We have a beautiful new addition to JTS, great facilities, a fanbase that is one of the best out there, a team that could win 7-9 games next season, and this program has gained so much recognition and respect nationally this year for its two huge wins. Nebraska blows right now and hasn’t been any bit relevant in over a decade. If Campbell leaves, he’s just plain silly. I think Campbell is smarter than bolting to a program like Nebraska.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I wouldn’t be shocked if he went somewhere else. I would be shocked if that somewhere else was Nebraska.
He’s going to get offers. I think he will give ISU a chance to match anything that comes along and we will see how much the check book opens.
I’m more worried about losing coordinators. Again.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Also. Nebby AD’s hands are tied. He has to hire Frost. It’s the only way his job is safe. Fans want Frost. Anyone else the AD hires will be tied to him like an anchor. But with Frost, even if he ends up sucking the AD has an out because hey everyone thought he’d be good there.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone90

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I don't think he's going anywhere but why would this comment mean anything? It's the only thing he can possibly say. Is he supposed to say, yea, we're looking around to see whats out there? I'm not bashing CMC, its just a stupid question to ask a coach because you in no way would ever get the truth from any coach on the planet. The person who asked this must just have started following sports yesterday.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Unless your name is Scott Frost, the Nebraska job is a loser. That group has not come to grips with the idea that it’s not 1995 anymore. The straw they have grasped at is that Frost is the guy to return them to the days of tommie Frazier and the rest of the Baylor terror sect. The AD has to get Frost, or he’s out.

I don’t know if Frost will go there, he will have better options. But if the coach they do hire is not Scott Frost, they are starting with at least two strikes against them fan base perception wise.

Of course with what has happened two of the last three weeks from the conference agenda, and Iowa State’s luck in these matters, Campbell will be in Lincoln next week.

RVD4

Dec 26, 2011
Frost to Nebby is equal to Fred at ISU. I do believe it is a done deal. He gets the Nebraska mentality and I think will do good things but it will take a while. His Florida connections will make it easier to recruit there. He was very good at Oregon and UCF.I am not a Nebby fan but I think the guy can coach.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Frost to Nebby is equal to Fred at ISU. I do believe it is a done deal. He gets the Nebraska mentality and I think will do good things but it will take a while. His Florida connections will make it easier to recruit there. He was very good at Oregon and UCF.I am not a Nebby fan but I think the guy can coach.

I think so too. The thing Nebraska needs to realize is that this isn't the 90s anymore. You aren't winning 10-12 games every year and you have to be able to live with an 8-4 or 7-5 season every once in awhile in the current climate. There are very few programs who won't have that and you aren't hiring their coach so get over it, enjoy averaging 9 or 10 wins, enjoy those 1 in 8 seasons where you make the playoff and enjoy the ride. These second and third tier programs, many who think they are owed something (NU, aTm, to name two) need to understand that firing coaches because they went 8-4 a couple times isn't any way to run the program.

Alcyclone

Jan 2, 2012
Is there someplace official that the 3.5 million deal is announced or the is that more speculation

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Nebraska just needs to focus on dominating their weak division...and that is something they should totally be able to do. Then from there a chance at a conference title and possible playoff spot is a punchers chance away.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron