Hawk Football Recruiting

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
I like this picture better.
tumblr_lz4wuopIZl1qccabgo1_500.jpg

I know it's a couple years ago, and it was the TD that won the game. However every time I see that picture I can't help but think "How was a late hit NOT called there?"...

Carry on.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
I know it's a couple years ago, and it was the TD that won the game. However every time I see that picture I can't help but think "How was a late hit NOT called there?"...

Carry on.
. Plus he used his helmet for a blow to Whites head. Obviously illegal for a reason.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
unfortunately it's a good idea--and Iowa is having a great 2014 recruiting start in-state

Matt Nelson of CR Xavier another example of having nerdy ISU parents who never steered their kid to their alma mater.

Incidently, he was very high on U of Iowa pre-med program, when several undergraduate degree programs from ISU have prepared many transfers to the U of Iowa med school

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
They got commitments from 5 of the 6 Iowa kids on their poster.

Why is that? CPR is well respected in this state. The product he is putting out is as good if not better than what Iowa is doing. He seems like a coach players love to play for. He has done so much for the instate kids he has had play for him. Yet he still gets beat on the instate kids. The want to be a Hawkeye of these kids must out weigh everything else. The same goes for CFH, there cannot be a more respected person in the state yet has he signed one instate player?

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
unfortunately it's a good idea--and Iowa is having a great 2014 recruiting start in-state

Matt Nelson of CR Xavier another example of having nerdy ISU parents who never steered their kid to their alma mater.

Incidently, he was very high on U of Iowa pre-med program, when several undergraduate degree programs from ISU have prepared many transfers to the U of Iowa med school
Uhh, his parents are ISU alum? What a waste. I hope they never show their face in town again. Do they not know Med school is post grad? Going under grad at Iowa is no certainty that you get into Iowa med school.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
ISU parents? They the type that walked around campus in hawk gear? Ick.

It will take at least a generation of ISU winning before we can pull more in state talent....longer if the hawks are also winning. ISU may have more students from IOWA, but the hawks have the random fans around the state.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Why is that? CPR is well respected in this state. The product he is putting out is as good if not better than what Iowa is doing. He seems like a coach players love to play for. He has done so much for the instate kids he has had play for him. Yet he still gets beat on the instate kids. The want to be a Hawkeye of these kids must out weigh everything else. The same goes for CFH, there cannot be a more respected person in the state yet has he signed one instate player?

Because Iowa bled the casual fan dry in 1981. I know it's hawk mythology that they "supported" their teams in the worst of times, but I remember my uncle talking about going to kinnick in the 70s to watch them play osu and mich, and they might have had 35k attending.

They had losing records 20 straight years. Then they beat Mich and went to the rose bowl, and every t shirt fan that didn't have a rooting interest chose Iowa. They also had olson coaching the basketball team to a final four to draw interest.

Iowa state allowed themselves to be identified as little brother by spending no money on their fb program until Macarrived, and gene Smith went into debt to give basics to the program years after everyone else had them. Of course that spending led to bvd having to come in and cut the **** out of the department.

There are generations of Iowa kids in small towns that are indoctrinated to be hawk fans. That is passed down top their mutant offspring. It's ingrained in their dna.

It took a long time to make it line this, it will take even longer to change.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Because Iowa bled the casual fan dry in 1981. I know it's hawk mythology that they "supported" their teams in the worst of times, but I remember my uncle talking about going to kinnick in the 70s to watch them play osu and mich, and they might have had 35k attending.

They had losing records 20 straight years. Then they beat Mich and went to the rose bowl, and every t shirt fan that didn't have a rooting interest chose Iowa. They also had olson coaching the basketball team to a final four to draw interest.

Iowa state allowed themselves to be identified as little brother by spending no money on their fb program until Macarrived, and gene Smith went into debt to give basics to the program years after everyone else had them. Of course that spending led to bvd having to come in and cut the **** out of the department.

There are generations of Iowa kids in small towns that are indoctrinated to be hawk fans. That is passed down top their mutant offspring. It's ingrained in their dna.

It took a long time to make it line this, it will take even longer to change.

The other issue is that there are ISU parents who have Hawk fan kids, like that footballer from CR Xavier. I've run into plenty of coworkers where both are ISU alumni, only to have the kids rooting for the Hawks, not by their choice. These kids, despite growing up in a house which roots ISU and watches games will choose the Hawks since all of their friends and schoolmates root for Iowa. While kids should make their own choices, the peer pressure is hard to overcome for them at an early developmental age.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
The other issue is that there are ISU parents who have Hawk fan kids, like that footballer from CR Xavier. I've run into plenty of coworkers where both are ISU alumni, only to have the kids rooting for the Hawks, not by their choice. These kids, despite growing up in a house which roots ISU and watches games will choose the Hawks since all of their friends and schoolmates root for Iowa. While kids should make their own choices, the peer pressure is hard to overcome for them at an early developmental age.

I would agree. I lived in Nebraska my whole life (Bellevue till 6th grade, and a small town in the center of Nebraska through graduation) and was the only Cyclone fan around. It wasn't till I went to college before I met another cyclone fan and you get the same crap from everyone. Why would you root for ISU, blah blah blah so I get it. But I would not be denied. :twitcy:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
For all we know our class might end up being ranked higher than them in the end...why do you care where they come from? It's nice to get in state talent but if they want to go through a coaching change and play in a weak conference then maybe they don't have the mentality it takes to play in the Big 12

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Uhh, his parents are ISU alum? What a waste. I hope they never show their face in town again. Do they not know Med school is post grad? Going under grad at Iowa is no certainty that you get into Iowa med school.
agree. And Nelson's brother is an ISU alum too! The dad and Matt were on local news last night. Seem like nice folks. Dad was nerdy and typical ISU alum ISU probably lost in the early 80's.

Personal approach helps Hawkeyes land Nelson | TheGazette

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
For all we know our class might end up being ranked higher than them in the end...why do you care where they come from? It's nice to get in state talent but if they want to go through a coaching change and play in a weak conference then maybe they don't have the mentality it takes to play in the Big 12

I don't think that is it. Kirkie may be a scumbag who covers up rapes, and drugs, etc, but he really has won more than that fanbase full of genetic misfits deserves.

For many on here, it really was something that was beaten into the fans during the mac years. How many native kids did we beat UNI out for and have the coach spin the whole Iowa thing for a personal connection. But how many kids did he really take from Iowa? I remember there was a tackle from ic that committed from here, and mac was so proud of it.

Then iowa had a recruit fall through days before signing, and hayden went to the kids house and flipped him in an evening.

Then you have lapdog drunks like pat mitchell who would let the hawk coach poop in his mouth if he wanted to. And the odds are really stacked against Iowa State in Iowa.

As bad a Chizik was here on the field, at least he understood the realities of life here. Recruit the South, don't worry bout instate, because the vast majority of these kids have watched iowa be good for a period of time. The orange bowl may have not been acknowledged by most of the country, but these kids witnessed the hawks winning a bcs bowl.

And the big whatever may really really suck at football, but these kids have been trained to believe that playing indiana is like playing oklahoma.

Reactions: Tony

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I don't think that is it. Kirkie may be a scumbag who covers up rapes, and drugs, etc, but he really has won more than that fanbase full of genetic misfits deserves.

For many on here, it really was something that was beaten into the fans during the mac years. How many native kids did we beat UNI out for and have the coach spin the whole Iowa thing for a personal connection. But how many kids did he really take from Iowa? I remember there was a tackle from ic that committed from here, and mac was so proud of it.

Then iowa had a recruit fall through days before signing, and hayden went to the kids house and flipped him in an evening.

Then you have lapdog drunks like pat mitchell who would let the hawk coach poop in his mouth if he wanted to. And the odds are really stacked against Iowa State in Iowa.

As bad a Chizik was here on the field, at least he understood the realities of life here. Recruit the South, don't worry bout instate, because the vast majority of these kids have watched iowa be good for a period of time. The orange bowl may have not been acknowledged by most of the country, but these kids witnessed the hawks winning a bcs bowl.

And the big whatever may really really suck at football, but these kids have been trained to believe that playing indiana is like playing oklahoma.
And not only just Pat Mitchell, but his whole staff. It's quite pathetic, really.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron