Hard to not like the draw for ISU here

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
So win 2, then get a 5 seed in Des Moines?
If we beat two Top 10 teams on a neutral we are probably a #4 seed at worst. More than likely a #3 seed in that situation as we would have 11 Quad 1 wins with 9 of those wins coming against the Top 25 in Net.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I like it a lot. We obviously match up well with them. If we lose, no big deal. If we win it's another really good win.

For whatever reason, we've done better against the teams at the top of the conference this year. It would be interesting to know how uncommon that is....I'm guessing very uncommon for any team. Therefore, I'm glad to avoid OU or OSU or WV or Tech to start the tournament.
If we can beat Baylor on their home court...We should be able to beat OU..OSU...WV...OR TX TECH...In Kansas City!!
If we lose to one of these teams...SO WHAT...WE JUST COME HOME AND REST UP FOR THE BIG DANCE!!
Way To Go ...TJ!!

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
This tournament is so fun. But I’ in some of the Houberg years, I got annoyed at winning this just to bow out early in the Big one. I taught myself how to not care about early losses in the Big 12 tourney.

However, this year, I think this team needs the extra games before the big one.

I’ll allow winning it this year.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Latest predictions had us as a 7 seed.

If we go to KC and beat Baylor, KU, and TX (all current top 10 teams), what is our NCAA seed?
5 maybe 4 Tourney's impact bubble teams more than big seeding shifts. ISU is locked into a 6 after beating Baylor by such a wide margin on the road

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Just look at the outcome of Big 12 games over the last month. Makes the expert prognosticators look pretty bad. No sense in trying to predict.

If I was trying to make some money, I'd bet on WVU as a long shot. They're fighting for their NCAA lives.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
beat baylor by 15+ in head to head matchups this season. +home court advantage in Big12 tourney
ISU matches up well with KU and TTech (not so much WVU) depending on potential second round.
Ku has nothing to prove as a gauranteed 1 seed in the tourney. Would rather see KU than WVU or TTU if ISU wins game 1.

really wanted to avoid Texas and OK St in round 1 or 2.
You’d rather play the possible #1 overall NCAA tournament seed than one of a couple bubble/non-tournament teams?? I quit taking anything you wrote seriously after seeing that.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Just look at the outcome of Big 12 games over the last month. Makes the expert prognosticators look pretty bad. No sense in trying to predict.

If I was trying to make some money, I'd bet on WVU as a long shot. They're fighting for their NCAA lives.
You’d be losing that money.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
You’d rather play the possible #1 overall NCAA tournament seed than one of a couple bubble/non-tournament teams?? I quit taking anything you wrote seriously after seeing that.
Forget the seeds and look at the actual results. I want no part of WVU. 0-2 head to head. They are the best ft shooting team in the big 12 and isu sends teams to the stripe more than any team in big 12.

-Matchups matter
-A loss to ku does nothing for seeding, but a win might.
-A win against WVU does nothing for seeding.
-A 2-0 team heading into 3rd matchup wins 72% of the time.

Give me Kansas all day. Plus ku vs isu in big 12 tourney is always a fantastic spectacle

Last edited:

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
You’d be losing that money.
That's usually what happens when you bet a long shot. That's also why you win a lot more money if you're correct.

With this year's tournament in particular, the risk/reward payoff for taking a long shot seems better than taking a favorite.