Hammerin Hank Passes Away

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I remember where I was when he hit #715.

He handled himself with a lot of class, especially considering the racism that he faced throughout his life, including death threats when he was getting close to passing Babe Ruth. A life well-lived, Mr. Aaron.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I met him on the way home from the 2010 All-Star Game @ Anaheim! Just spoke to him for a moment as we were waiting to de-plane in Atlanta. I asked him if he had a good time at the game. He said, "Yes". I laughed and said: "It was my first All-Star Game!" which made him smile. R.I.P. Mr. Aaron!

Reactions: NWICY and cymac2408

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I can’t imagine the s*** he had to go through while chasing the Babes career home run record. Think of how many racist there must have been in 1974. Especially after seeing how many there still is in this past year. Add on top of that you have to hit a round ball with a cylinder object. All the while trying to hit the varying speeds, curves, sinkers and knuckleballs of the pitch. Really impressiv.

It's crazy to me that some top players in the mid 70s still started their career in the Negro League. Being born in the mid 70s and in a northern state I always feel so disconnected from serious segregation.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This chart is something else. Would love to see it updated with the new inclusion of the Negro leagues statistics.

I'd love to see where Ichiro would be on the left side of that chart had he played his whole career in MLB. Insane that he's in the .2% zone starting at age 27. Tony Gwynn is right next to him on the chart, a legend, and started MLB at 22.

Reactions: Entropy

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
It's crazy to me that some top players in the mid 70s still started their career in the Negro League. Being born in the mid 70s and in a northern state I always feel so disconnected from serious segregation.
I grew up in the 60s and became a huge baseball fan when I was 5. I went to a Minnesota Twins vs Boston Red Sox game in 1967. Harmon Killebrew hit a home run for the Twins but Carl Yastrzemski hit two home runs to win the game. Huge Yaz fan from that moment on as he went on to win the triple crown later that year. Nobody did it again for about 30 - 40 years later (Cabrera).

Reactions: HFCS

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron