Greater Fan support Needed !

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
# of Fans - A-
Atmosphere- C+
Go Clones
I agree with you that it was disappointing. It obviously didn't help that we were loosing to Kent State. I think the absolutely horrendous intro hurt a lot as well because the crowd never had the chance to go crazy before the game.

Cyclone15

Aug 21, 2007
Ankeny
The Virginia Tech entrance and the fans in particular ALL head bopping and jumping in place was AWESOME ! When I saw that kind of energy and excitement throughout the WHOLE STADIUM for an intro I right away thought that's what I'm talking about.

The "stuffy" fans are supposed to be 2 hours to the east. Why can't we bring that to our game... the V-TECH atmospere / intro and support. It was not just for that one emotional game either. It is there "normal" crazy jump around go nuts style. That's what I wish we could bring. He won't say it... but that was not the LOUDEST / BEST crowd in the Big 12 Chizik was hoping for. And again, why always wait for the fair weather- let's be the chicken before the egg... and come out SCREAMING and end SCREAMING in support win or lose. LOUDER ! no.... LOUDER !

WAIT...

LOUDER ! :biglaugh:

Go Clones !
(I will be greatly disappointed if 50,000 towels ends up like 20,000 for Saturday... left somewhere.. forgotten...)

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
The fans come to see the team play. They paid to see the team play. And now it is the fans responsibility to be loud? I disagree. I'm of the "give me something to cheer about" crowd. I watched the KSU Auburn game. There were 88,000 at that game the place was quiet until Auburn made a few key plays at the end (or KSU choked more like) but then the place was crazy. The team gave them something to cheer about and then they were loud. And that was a 88,000 SEC crowd.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I think there have been some big changes in crowd support over the last few years. I think atmosphere is a ton better, in fact I thought Thursday night was the second best atmosphere I have seen at Jack Trice. (Colorado 05 was #1)

Cyclone15

Aug 21, 2007
Ankeny
The fans come to see the team play. They paid to see the team play. And now it is the fans responsibility to be loud? I disagree. I'm of the "give me something to cheer about" crowd. I watched the KSU Auburn game. There were 88,000 at that game the place was quiet until Auburn made a few key plays at the end (or KSU choked more like) but then the place was crazy. The team gave them something to cheer about and then they were loud. And that was a 88,000 SEC crowd.

That is the split I see every week last year and in the past... those that cheer when it rains and those that cheer when the sun comes out. No.. I'm not talking about the weather literally... its about what's on the field. Why can't we embrace an interception ? Why not say all right it's OUR TIME. It's OUR TIME to pick the team up and give the opposition heck.... not mur mur about the previous play. Need to swallow it for what it is.. and then come out onto the field like the 12th man and give the defense all we got. No.. instead I see the other team coming out with a quieted crowd and not until they get 2-3 first downs and in the red zone the "fair weather" crowd joins in and trys to help out. WHY NOT cheer after an interception ? The defense I hope isn't coming out the way we are acting... or do they sometimes ? That is my whole point... the difference between cheering a touchdown and being a 12th man that is involved with causing CHAOS ! Heck I probably cheer less for a touchdown because well.... that's easy and their are plenty doing that.

Kinda like expecting players to play 4 quarters.... is the crowd bringing it for 4 quarters ? And don't get me started about those that leave early either... some of them were there Thursday again and at least Chizik didn't send any players in early for showers because we were probably gonna lose.

Go Clones !
(not trying to argue... just a new ERA can mean a new attitude for fans also)

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
So, did the pocket aces help contribute to the atmosphere? How did your effort go there, 15?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
15, I love your enthusiasm and utterly irrepressible drive, but this show is getting a little old. Yes, there were lots of fans in the stadium. No, they were not as loud as they were physically capable of being for 100% of the game. Yes, it is absolutely unreasonable to expect that, regardless of the product on the field, but especially with the product we saw on Thursday.

As others have stated, the stadium WAS quite loud for a lot of the game, especially when you consider how much of that time we were on the losing end of the score. Most people stayed in it well into the third quarter, but when things kept falling apart and nothing good ever happened, people started to get mentally fatigued. You were in the student section- you know as well as I do that the students and much of the east side stayed in the game for a long time after we stopped being good. We were doing exactly what you complain we weren't doing- cheering for our guys and trying to pick them up when they were down. However, cheer though we might, they just got worse, and that was really discouraging to people. I can't speak for every section of the stadium- nobody can, because each person can only be in one section at a time- but I think that Cyclone fans gave quite a lot on Thursday considering what they got in return. It cannot be a purely one-way exchange; that's just not going to happen. At some point, people will get discouraged enough to stop being rowdy until something good happens again.

The crowd needs to pick up and get into the game, yes, but that is exactly what we did for more than our share of the game. If we can get that loud and go that long with such a crappy game being played, I'm sure we'll be great when the Cyclones are actually competing with a team and not just getting stomped.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
where is 33's insight here? lets have him talk to the team and see what they thought about the crowd. they are the ones that it ultimately effects...and they also see multiple other stadiums and atmospheres throughout their careers.

hilbs31

Apr 1, 2006
Teams' 10 year record who were mentioned in this thread:

Wisconsin fans, jump around because you had a 89-38 record

V-Tech fans, get pumped for your team's entrance because your record was 95-31

Auburn fans, keep rattling your opponents on third down as your record was 84-40

Iowa State fans, I can understand why you don't get crazy for no reason as your record was 48-67

If ISU wins, the fans will get crazy. Auburn has always been good, but I'm sure at Wisconsin and V-Tech, it took awhile for fans to become fanatics.

Let's start with better recruits and see where it goes from there.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Go Clones !
(I will be greatly disappointed if 50,000 towels ends up like 20,000 for Saturday... left somewhere.. forgotten...)

20k towels might be on the high side. I did not see many people using them at all, only the students. The non student fans really need to get off their butts and join in the fun.

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
This is a genuine conundrum. However, I for one pledge to be louder and maybe even do a little more jumping around at the next game. Section 11 could have been louder.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
As a fan I paid for my ticket, and believe me I was waiving my towel around and getting into it.....but I don't owe anybody anything when it comes to the experience at the game. It does annoy me when people sit down the first chance they get, and when people leave early. However, the players are the ones receiving scholarships and the coaches are receiving nice paychecks.....so be careful who you blame.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The non student fans really need to get off their butts and join in the fun.

I'm in section 20 and we stood (along with everyone else in our section) for the entire game. It's like a mini-student section there because most of us are Varsity members.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I'm in section 20 and we stood (along with everyone else in our section) for the entire game. It's like a mini-student section there because most of us are Varsity members.

It is not like that in the cardinal+ areas. I think some people almost fell asleep.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
It is not like that in the cardinal+ areas. I think some people almost fell asleep.
What's the age range on those sections? Some friends and I were having a discussion the other day, about whether the average attitude at games would change as the older sections fill up with people who were rowdy during their days as students. There are lots more 20-something alums donating now than there used to be. Those people are obviously more enthusiastic about sports since they likely don't just have the money to burn; do you think that will have a positive impact on the stadium in years down the road?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
What's the age range on those sections? Some friends and I were having a discussion the other day, about whether the average attitude at games would change as the older sections fill up with people who were rowdy during their days as students. There are lots more 20-something alums donating now than there used to be. Those people are obviously more enthusiastic about sports since they likely don't just have the money to burn; do you think that will have a positive impact on the stadium in years down the road?

I am 34, and we are one of the younger couples in my section. I would say they avg in their 40s.

Help Support Us

Become a patron