Gomez to Wisconsin

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
Isn’t Bono kind of a dooshbag though?
Not sure how many doooshbag tendencies you need to exhibit before you are full-blown doooshbag but yes, he has a few dooshbag tendencies.

PS- the only reason he won a NC for us was because Lincoln McIlravy was out for concussion protocol, which is now very ironic.

• Eggplant
Reactions: cyputz

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Not sure how many doooshbag tendencies you need to exhibit before you are full-blown doooshbag but yes, he has a few dooshbag tendencies.

PS- the only reason he won a NC for us was because Lincoln McIlravy was out for concussion protocol, which is now very ironic.
Watch the last McIllravy Bono final that Lincoln won. It was in overtime and if it were officiated with more recent standards may not have made it there with as much time as McIlravy spent fleeing the mat in the third. Winning on a go around because you spent the whole match backing up isn't a cant lose strategy.

This doesnt absolve Bono from douche status but I dont think his credentials should be questioned as a competitor.

My Twins

Jun 3, 2021

There's a bit of an asterisk involved with your statement about Bono's NC. When Bono won with the Iowa guy sidelined, Bono was a junior and Iowa guy would have been a senior. So... let's say Bono finishes second. In Bono's senior season, Iowa guy would have graduated and Bono likely wins as a senior.

Your point stands, tho... Bono and his family were all douches.

My Twins

Jun 3, 2021
Watch the last McIllravy Bono final that Lincoln won. It was in overtime and if it were officiated with more recent standards may not have made it there with as much time as McIlravy spent fleeing the mat in the third. Winning on a go around because you spent the whole match backing up isn't a cant lose strategy.

This doesnt absolve Bono from douche status but I dont think his credentials should be questioned as a competitor.
You watch much wrestling at Nattys? They don't call stalling in big matches. I was in Cedar Falls sitting right in front of the match.

Bono kept it close, but the Iowa guy was never in danger of losing.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016

Isn’t Mcilravy’s record against Bono like a career 10-0?

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Isn’t Bono kind of a dooshbag though?
My 2 cents on this - Bono has always been nice and respectful to me. Outside of the Ben Askren recruiting story I've only heard (and experienced) positive things about him. I can't fault him for the breakup with KJ but I can credit him for coming here as a Assistant and trying to help our program. There's no doubt he was a great wrestler and IMO he has represented our Cyclones with class. It's also a head scratcher to me that everyone thinks Reader is a great guy (and I do too) yet many are quick to say bad things about Bono. Those guys obviously get along great. I think it's a great fit for Gomez. I also hope he can stay healthy and help Bono/Reader continue to build another contender in Wisconsin. It's just another great midwest option that isn't afraid to recruit Iowa HS kids.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
You watch much wrestling at Nattys? They don't call stalling in big matches. I was in Cedar Falls sitting right in front of the match.

Bono kept it close, but the Iowa guy was never in danger of losing.
I was there and have watched that match multiple times. IIRC That match came down to one great takedown by Lincoln. IMO Bono was very much in the match and IF he had found a way to get the TD he would have won... With that said Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Lincoln is a living legend for a reason.

Reactions: fitzgev

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I think the reality is Bono rubs a lot of people the wrong way, for better or worse. He ends up having a good deal of success with the guys who like him and a he runs off a lot of guys who don't. That's what you get when you sign up for the Bono experience, he's just a love him or hate him guy.

• Agree
Reactions: Land Grant

My Twins

Jun 3, 2021
I was there and have watched that match multiple times. IIRC That match came down to one great takedown by Lincoln. IMO Bono was very much in the match and IF he had found a way to get the TD he would have won... With that said Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda - Lincoln is a living legend for a reason.
The point remains... Bono kept it close, but he wasn't beating Lincoln.

He did beat a Hawk, Uker, during his career. IIRC

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Pardon me, but what does the mention of Stencil have to do with this thread?
Some people have a hard time staying on topic. Can you imagine being so surprised that someone incorrectly predicted a wrestling match on the internet that you bring it up on almost every thread?

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I was prepared to be upset if Gomez tried to blame his concussions on ISU by claiming he was coerced into dropping to 133. But the article doesn't say or even really imply that. So fine, good luck to him. I do hope he'll hang it up if the problem re-emerges. And I hope that Bono, douchy or not, will help him make the right call.

Reactions: Sturge34

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron