Girls in Volleyball Vs. Basketball

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Interesting read out of MN:

http://www.startribune.com/volleyball-is-no-1-in-many-ways-for-minnesotans/461165003/

If there has been one adverse effect of the state’s growing volleyball prowess, it’s been the impact on girls’ basketball, especially in the age of single-sport specialization. Girls’ basketball had 12,012 participants in Minnesota last school year, or about 4,200 fewer than volleyball.

We've talked about it, but here is some stats to back it up. MN, a state like Iowa where girls basketball was hugely popular, where volleyball is taking over.

Good to know that CJL is up there a lot recruiting. But, it helps explain a lot of the woes WBB is having when it comes to getting post players in the Midwest, and it is probably going to get more challenging.

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
Here’s my take, as the parent of a jr high daughter who enjoys both sports:

Basketball and volleyball compete for the same type of athlete- tall, strong, good jumper.

It’s hard for girls to play both since club volleyball season is the same as basketball season (my daughter’s club volleyball team’s season is early December until April or so). Although my daughter likes both sports, she is not playing basketball and is instead doing volleyball. Many of her friends chose club volleyball over club basketball.

Why? I think there are two reasons. My daughter is a good athlete but she does not like the physicality of basketball. She doesn’t want to crash into other girls or have them crash into her. She also doesn’t enjoy all the running. I think many girls feel the same way.

Also, in Iowa volleyball is a girls’ sport. Although there are a few boys club teams, in the schools it’s all about the girls. Right or not, it seems that girls’ (and women’s) basketball teams play second fiddle to the guys’ teams.

Just my opinion but volleyball is definitely on the upswing to the detriment of basketball.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

Ya beat me to it.

• Funny
Reactions: BoxsterCy

Help Support Us

Become a patron