Gift for mom on anniversary of Dad’s death

CheapClone1202

Has 3 legs
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2019
Definition of off topic here, but my dad died 17 years ago today. I’m only 21 so I’m not overly effected, but I want to get my mom something and I’m not sure what. Do I go with flowers? If so, which kind? Something else? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Friendly
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Damn dog. this hits different.

Its very hard for people you've never met and they've never met you; to decide on what to get your mom on a somber anniversary.

We don't know your mom or the circumstances around her emotional dealing with your fathers death.

go with your gut. flowers (any kind will work) and a heart felt card NEVER hurt anyone. also don't forget a hug. hugs are the ultimate.

ps. my dad died when i was 15 and my mother and him were divorced but she was and still is impacted by it.

Just let her know that you love her and are thinking about him. that should be enough for any person.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
A gift I gave my mother a few years after my brother passed away was sign that featured a quote from his journal and his signature that replicated his handwriting. Now I am not saying that is what you need to do as I think a card with a nice message would be great. Heck even a phone call just to talk about it might be something to consider.

• Friendly
Reactions: oldman

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Obviously your Dad's passing has a big impact on your mother. I'd suggest two things:
First, a sympathy card in the "Thinking of you" genre with a handwritten paragraph or two of your support of her while acknowledging her loss. Perhaps recalling some fond memories or your own or those she provided you.
Second and most important; listen to her. If you can't physically be with her, call. Ask her how she's doing, get her to talk. Try to gently steer the conversation from her loss to what she has. Hopefully over time you can drop the card and she can move on.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
"Thinking of you" phone call or visit is in order just to let her know that you know what day it is.

This is what we used to do with my dad, but we always called him on my mom's birthday and their wedding anniversary, not on the death anniversary.

My dad died 15 years after my mom, but he would talk about her every time we would get together, so we knew how important his memories of her were to him.

I am sorry you lost your father so early.

Reactions: yCy

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Have you done anything in the past? Is this year something special? Those answers might make a difference in what you do, when and how.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Spend time with her and take her to dinner.. Seems like the best gift of all.

Reactions: yCy

Help Support Us

Become a patron