MLB: Gardenhire should be manager of the year

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I agree on giving it to Gardy. When Morneau went down I figured it was game over. But they've held this thing together and really done well.

The (much maligned) front office deserves some credit too. Where would the Twins be right now without Orlando Cabara at short and Rousch coming out of the bullpen? Two good in season moves that cost them next to nothing but have really paid dividends.

I think the most underappreciated move by the front office this season was the trade for Carl Pavano. Everyone likes to complain about how much he sucks and how much this move was going to cost the Twins due to his unreliability. But let's look at the numbers. after the Aug 8 trade, he went 6-4 with a 4.64 ERA (ok, so it's a little on the high side). He was also involved in 3 no-decisions that ended up going down as Twins wins (the Twins are 9-4 in his starts). I'm not going to be one of those guys that says that Pavano is the best pitcher in the AL - I'm not even convinced he's the best pitcher on the team. But what he did was became the much needed plug into a gaping hole into at the time was a badly hemorrhaging starting lineup.

buckskin

Feb 1, 2007
I think the most underappreciated move by the front office this season was the trade for Carl Pavano. Everyone likes to complain about how much he sucks and how much this move was going to cost the Twins due to his unreliability. But let's look at the numbers. after the Aug 8 trade, he went 6-4 with a 4.64 ERA (ok, so it's a little on the high side). He was also involved in 3 no-decisions that ended up going down as Twins wins (the Twins are 9-4 in his starts). I'm not going to be one of those guys that says that Pavano is the best pitcher in the AL - I'm not even convinced he's the best pitcher on the team. But what he did was became the much needed plug into a gaping hole into at the time was a badly hemorrhaging starting lineup.

I also believe he brought some stability to a young pitching staff.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't know if this is Gardy's best year, but since he hasn't won it, it should be his year to win.

The Twins just never quit. Name me a team that would keep fighting and playing hard when they are down by 7 games with a month to go, lose a former MVP, and still manage to win.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Gardy has a strong case for manager of the year, but I want to see him prove it tomorrow night. The Twins have the better offense - more runs, more total bases, more extra base hits, more hot hitters right now. Let them swing the bats and put up some crooked numbers. It's not a situation to get defensive and play small ball. The Twins aren't going to be able to run much on Laird. This doesn't mean that they can't continue to be aggressive on going from 1st to 3rd on a single or advancing on a ball in the dirt, but they can't afford to have Gardy give up outs or run them out of an inning tomorrow. Mix in a little situation calls if you must with Tolbert and Punto, but let the rest of the lineup swing the bats.

I'll post more in the betting thread for the game on why the Twins need to play for big innnings in tomorrows game.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Gardy has a strong case for manager of the year, but I want to see him prove it tomorrow night. The Twins have the better offense - more runs, more total bases, more extra base hits, more hot hitters right now. Let them swing the bats and put up some crooked numbers. It's not a situation to get defensive and play small ball. The Twins aren't going to be able to run much on Laird. This doesn't mean that they can't continue to be aggressive on going from 1st to 3rd on a single or advancing on a ball in the dirt, but they can't afford to have Gardy give up outs or run them out of an inning tomorrow. Mix in a little situation calls if you must with Tolbert and Punto, but let the rest of the lineup swing the bats.

I'll post more in the betting thread for the game on why the Twins need to play for big innnings in tomorrows game.

I don't totally agree with this. I'd say if the Twins are at the bottom of the order and the situation warrants it, manufacture the hell out of that run. I'm not opposed to the big inning, in fact, I wouldn't mind the Twins, with the energy that's bound to be in the Homer Dome tomorrow night, putting the Tigers out of the game in the 1st inning. But the Twins thrive on fundamental baseball, and grinding out runs will get the crowd as loud as the big inning will.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
The Twins are an extremely well run organization. They always seem to get the most for less; whereas, my Cubs always seem to get less for more.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I don't totally agree with this. I'd say if the Twins are at the bottom of the order and the situation warrants it, manufacture the hell out of that run. I'm not opposed to the big inning, in fact, I wouldn't mind the Twins, with the energy that's bound to be in the Homer Dome tomorrow night, putting the Tigers out of the game in the 1st inning. But the Twins thrive on fundamental baseball, and grinding out runs will get the crowd as loud as the big inning will.

I'll take a manufactured run in a critical point, but the numbers that I listed in the betting thread show why I hope that the Twins have a couple of 3-run homers left in their bats.

Help Support Us

Become a patron