Games with your kids

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Our go to FAmily board game is called Castle Panic. It's a pretty simple concept. Monsters are moving in from the outside. You draw cards. Your card is colored and has a level. If a monster is in that spot, you can attack it. You also trade cards with other players to eliminate as many monsters as possible in your turn. It's fun because it's cooperative and not easy to win. You win by elminating all the monster chips and you all win together. IF you so wish, the person who killed the most monsters wins. You lose if a monster gets into your castle and knocks down all the walls.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
If I'm playing without drinking I really don't mind being *******.

******* is the best when you're drinking. Get to give unlimited drinks while dealing and can deal however you want. I usually make my self ******* on purpose a few rounds just to make people drink absurd amounts while I deal. Just gotta stay alert enough to clear the table every time before the drinks start racking up.

Why would you play that game without drinking?!

Also, this.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Blokus and old school monopoly are faves of my kids. They are six and eight.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Play lots of board games with my 4yo, many of which have been mentioned here. She has just discovered Jenga and loves it. Trouble, Cland and Chutes and Ladders are favorites. Uno is also fun as well as Hungry Hungry Hippos. Can't wait to start introducing her to more thoughtful games, but the wife still needs to be able to beat her at something.

On video games, she has attempted Wii and I actually did let her play Disney Enchanted Princess game, which she beat in 3 evenings spread over 3 or 4 weeks. She does Wii tennis and bowling as well. However, the Wii generally doesn't get turned on more than once every few weeks, if that.

She is up to 10 on flappy bird and has beat many of my scores on Angry Birds (Original, Rio and Seasons).

However, she doesn't play video games even once a week. I won't discourage her from video games, but I certainly won't promote them either.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Yahtzee (great for learning math)
Uno
Skip-Bo
Checkers
Cards in general (21, Pepper, etc...)

When they were younger we played Memory a lot. I lost a lot.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My little one plays on her Nabi for an hour or so a day. I've actually be impressed by what she has learned through the "games". Any more, companies are utilizing these "games" as ways to teach kids while they are having fun. Now, of course, this is based on a 4 year old playing games geared towards education and not some of your more traditional video games meant for older kids...