Game of Thrones Season 6

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Anybody else think Littlefinger has backed himself into a bit of a corner? He was able to manipulate Robin to help Sansa but she now doesn't need help and she would probably be able to influence him more than Littlefinger can. In doing so he ****** off one of the more powerful houses of the Vale. It was all for a failed attempt to get Sansa to marry him. Don't get me wrong, if anyone can figure it out it would be him but he is in a tough spot. Just my thoughts

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Anybody else think Littlefinger has backed himself into a bit of a corner? He was able to manipulate Robin to help Sansa but she now doesn't need help and she would probably be able to influence him more than Littlefinger can. In doing so he ****** off one of the more powerful houses of the Vale. It was all for a failed attempt to get Sansa to marry him. Don't get me wrong, if anyone can figure it out it would be him but he is in a tough spot. Just my thoughts

Dragon Jesus is still just Jon Snow with a death wish. And it's not like Sansa has said no. It's a minor setback.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Can someone provide a "reason" for the death of the old Maestre? Somehow he was tied in to a big plot line but was it simply knowing about the wild fire?

In the show as previously stated, he wasn't with Cersei/Qyburn. In the book, it's Varys who kills him (and Kevan) with his little birds to destabilize the realm to help Aegon and/or Dany.

Dino

Mar 26, 2009
Des Moines
What tension are people seeing between Sansa and Jon? To me, she came clean with him and turned her back to LF and it was clear. When they showed Sansa and LF looking at each other during the king of the North chants, he was glaring and she was uncomfortable telling LF to kick rocks on his offer.

Except this is completely against his nature. He wouldn't mean mug anyone and let them know he was going to be an enemy. He'd smile and act like everything is fine, then stab them in the back.

Dino

Mar 26, 2009
Des Moines
I definitely don't see Jon and Sansa getting married. Their relationship comes off as siblings with some (strictly non-sexual) tension. I never felt any interest there. And from an alliance standpoint, it doesn't make sense. Even if he becomes known as a Targaeryen and takes the Iron Throne, they're still cousins. Don't really need to strengthen anything.

Euron probably does have to ally with Cersei. Really no other options for him. It will be interesting if he attacks her fleet at sea. Generally fire breathing dragons seem to be trump cards to wooden ships. In the books he supposedly has an item that could be interesting though.

I'm also in the camp that Dany becomes a villain. I don't see her basically being the heir (ignoring Viserys who clearly wasn't going to make it) since chapter 3 of book one and making it all the way to the end and assuming her rightful place. That doesn't seem like a very GRRM way of doing things. More likely she goes through all of this and then finds she has a nephew with a better claim and starts going Targaeryen crazy.

There's really only Cersei left as a heavy hitting (human) villain. Things are going to get messy between the fan favorites.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Judging from the feminist undertones of the show, I doubt GRRM has Dany become the adversary to Jon. I think they are fire and ice that are needed to beat the others together.

Cutlass

Mar 23, 2006
Omaha
ramblingscotty.blogspot.com
attachment.php

Attachments

• dragons.jpg
    dragons.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 230

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Because he'd be smart enough to sense that JS was stalling?

But he wasn't smart enough to know that the woman he'd tortured for months and months, obviously knowing her better than JS, was hiding something huge? That seems like a pretty big leap.

But, so why not tell Jon as they're riding away after meeting with Bolton?

Cyrok

Oct 14, 2009
DSM
Something I saw in a youtube analysis (New Rockstars?) answers the question about the timing of the arrival of the Knights of the Vale pretty well:

It supports LF's motives!

Most people are focusing on why Sansa didn't tell Jon about them, but I think some combination of the previously discussed ideas is probably why (not sure if she can trust LF, bitter about not being consulted at the war council, etc).

Sometime in the past, there was a clip of LF advising Cersei that he would let two armies devastate each other first and then go in and mop up. And that's exactly how this battle played out.

Last edited:

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Something I saw in a youtube analysis (New Rockstars?) answers the question about the timing of the arrival of the Knights of the Vale pretty well:

It supports LF's motives!

Most people are focusing on why Sansa didn't tell Jon about them, but I think some combination of the previously discussed ideas is probably why (not sure if she can trust LF, bitter about not being consulted at the war council, etc).

Sometime in the past, there was a clip of LF advising Cersei that he would let two armies devastate each other first and then go in and mop up. And that's exactly how this battle played out.
Yeah, that type of battle strategy seems right up LittleFinger's alley. Making sure he wins.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
But he wasn't smart enough to know that the woman he'd tortured for months and months, obviously knowing her better than JS, was hiding something huge? That seems like a pretty big leap.

But, so why not tell Jon as they're riding away after meeting with Bolton?

In TV, some plot decisions are driven by the need to increase the suspense of the episode, and in this case specifically the suspense in the battle. I think this is one of those cases where creating suspense and tension won out over character motivations.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
In TV, some plot decisions are driven by the need to increase the suspense of the episode, and in this case specifically the suspense in the battle. I think this is one of those cases where creating suspense and tension won out over character motivations.

I agree, and have said the same since the beginning.

...But that doesn't make it any less of a plot hole.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

It is. It just didn't take away from my enjoyment of the episode or the season. Honestly, I think the season finale was one of my favorite episodes ever, and the season as a whole might be tops for me (hard to say if it beat Season 4 though, that was my previous favorite). Really impressed by how well they handled moving past the books. Gotta give them huge props, I was worried it would be a mess, but I think on the whole they nailed it.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com

It could have been done differently, and still created tension during the battle, but not the tension between Jon and Sansa which seems to be what they are going for.

We are all really struggling with her decision, and trying to get it to be logical, but it is not. Benioff seemed to just say she did not completely trust Jon. I would rather she was just ruthless and playing Jon, because then she is a stronger character that can take charge, but they saved that for Jon to become King in the North in spite of him really dicking up the battle plan.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
It could have been done differently, and still created tension during the battle, but not the tension between Jon and Sansa which seems to be what they are going for.

We are all really struggling with her decision, and trying to get it to be logical, but it is not. Benioff seemed to just say she did not completely trust Jon. I would rather she was just ruthless and playing Jon, because then she is a stronger character that can take charge, but they saved that for Jon to become King in the North in spite of him really dicking up the battle plan.

I think it could potentially be MORE tense - Sansa is the superior battle planner, how dare she ask LF for help w/out telling Jon, etc.

I think that people really want to give the screenwriters a pass on this, and that's fine - but it's a plothole. It just is.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I think it could potentially be MORE tense - Sansa is the superior battle planner, how dare she ask LF for help w/out telling Jon, etc.

I think that people really want to give the screenwriters a pass on this, and that's fine - but it's a plothole. It just is.

I'm with you. They could have even turned her into a bit of a villain with LF.

It's not the plothole that Dorne is, because that is just a travesty. I mean, why did they kill Doran Martell? It makes no sense to me.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm with you. They could have even turned her into a bit of a villain with LF.

It's not the plothole that Dorne is, because that is just a travesty. I mean, why did they kill Doran Martell? It makes no sense to me.

They may still. I'm not sure at this point we really have much idea what goes on in her head. She's spent a lot of time with Littlefinger and Cersei.:wacko:

And with you on killing Doran. He and Wyman Manderly were two of my favorites and they killed off Doran and gave all of Wyman's best stuff to Arya. (Which reminds me of the Harry Potter movies where they give a bunch of Ron's better stuff to Hermione.:sad:)

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
They may still. I'm not sure at this point we really have much idea what goes on in her head. She's spent a lot of time with Littlefinger and Cersei.:wacko:

And with you on killing Doran. He and Wyman Manderly were two of my favorites and they killed off Doran and gave all of Wyman's best stuff to Arya. (Which reminds me of the Harry Potter movies where they give a bunch of Ron's better stuff to Hermione.:sad:)
I can only think of the one thing
frey pie
that Arya did last episode that is overlapping with Wyman. Wyman Manderly has one of my favorite speeches in any of the books in one of my more underrated chapters of any of them when he walks Davos through his plan for him and the North, so I was kinda upset on how they portrayed Wayman in the show (wasn't nearly fat enough). But I just think they cut a bunch of stuff from Wyman rather than gave it to Arya.