Gabby Petito found dead in Wyoming

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think this one has a lot to do with the story line as much as anything.

Couple goes on camping trip, only the boyfriend returns (in the girlfriends vehicle) and nobody reports that for several days.

I thought he left the vehicle and just returned with himself.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The Attorney wouldn't tell the authorities where to find him. If only 3 people know where he is (2 parents and attorney) how are the authorities supposed to do anything. By the time this blew up and was reported as a missing person he was already in hiding.

I realize they can't charge him with murder when they hadn't even found a body. But in many high-profile investigations they will find some lesser charge, even something very minimal, to have grounds to bring him in and keep eyes on him.

Again I just find it very weird that no one felt it to be very important to keep track of the boyfriend of a missing person with a recently call for domestic situation who showed back up with her vehicle and no explanation.

Reactions: chadly82

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I realize they can't charge him with murder when they hadn't even found a body. But in many high-profile investigations they will find some lesser charge, even something very minimal, to have grounds to bring him in and keep eyes on him.

Again I just find it very weird that no one felt it to be very important to keep track of the boyfriend of a missing person with a recently call for domestic situation who showed back up with her vehicle and no explanation.

He was already in hiding when she was reported missing. his parents and his attorney aren't going to give him up.

I don't understand why you can't understand this, it's pretty simple.

Police visited the Laundrie family home after Petito was reported missing, but Laundrie's family refused to talk and instead gave authorities their attorney's information, police said last week.
Search for Gabby Petito's fiancé Brian Laundrie focuses on Florida nature reserve

Search for Gabby Petito's fiancé Brian Laundrie focuses on Florida nature reserve

Their home was searched Friday evening after Laundrie's family told police they had not seen him for days. He left home with his backpack Tuesday and told them he was going to a local nature reserve, Taylor, the police spokesperson, said Saturday.

Last edited:

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Could the parents be charged with interfering with the investigation?
Only if they have a warrant or something that they physically get in the way of. Nobody has to cooperate with the investigation. If they have something and try to bring him in and they hide him, yes.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I just read that. Which confused me because the youtubers had pictures of the van by where the body was found. So I thought the van was left there by the body.
I believe that the YouTubers didn’t realize what they had saw (the van) until they went back and edited their dash cam footage.

That’s how I understood it anyways…

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He was already in hiding when she was reported missing. his parents and his attorney aren't going to give him up.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "give him up". I understand he wasn't saying anything. But it's not law enforcement's job to say "gee, he's not saying anything, nothing we can do here!"

With all the circumstantial evidence pointing towards him I can't believe they couldn't find some charge to bring him in on. Not for the murder, but something. This is really common in investigations like this. You obviously can't bring the murder charge until you know she's dead, but usually you can find some lesser charge to at least get them in. At a minimum I can't believe they weren't at least keeping track of his whereabouts.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Tuesday of last week the North Port Police Chief said he knew where Laundrie was. He didn't scoot out of his parents house until sometime last week. He wasn't in hiding, he simply was exercising his 5th amendment right not to talk to authorities.

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Only if they have a warrant or something that they physically get in the way of. Nobody has to cooperate with the investigation. If they have something and try to bring him in and they hide him, yes.
If they know where he is right now and choose to not say anything is that a crime?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I guess I don't understand what you mean by "give him up". I understand he wasn't saying anything. But it's not law enforcement's job to say "gee, he's not saying anything, nothing we can do here!"

With all the circumstantial evidence pointing towards him I can't believe they couldn't find some charge to bring him in on. Not for the murder, but something. This is really common in investigations like this. You obviously can't be the murder charge until you know she's dead, but usually you can find some lesser charge to at least get them in. At a minimum I can't believe they weren't at least keeping track of his whereabouts.

Police visited the Laundrie family home after Petito was reported missing, but Laundrie's family refused to talk and instead gave authorities their attorney's information, police said last week.

Their home was searched Friday evening after Laundrie's family told police they had not seen him for days. He left home with his backpack Tuesday and told them he was going to a local nature reserve, Taylor, the police spokesperson, said Saturday.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Would it have any relevance of whether she was or wasn’t?

it could at trial and determining sentencing

I’ve seen murderers walk away totally free after they intentionally created the entire incident just because of an unsubstantiated claim they felt threatened

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

And maybe I'm not clear on the timeframe, but he hadn't gone missing at the time of the initial police contact, right?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If they know where he is right now and choose to not say anything is that a crime?
I assume if they helped him get there or the if they lie about it. I don't think they are compelled to speak though.

• Informative
Reactions: GoHawks

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
And maybe I'm not clear on the timeframe, but he hadn't gone missing at the time of the initial police contact, right?

He first refused to talk to them then went into hiding. Every inquiry after that was then referred to the Attorney. Even if the police were surveilling him I'm sure he could have easily eluded them.

Help Support Us

Become a patron