Friday OT #1 - As Long As I Got My Suit and Tie

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Only when I go into the office once or twice a week. My day job is with the legal arm of the state, so I wear a shirt/tie. Will wear suit when governor and AG are present at meetings.

Consulting job is 100% home based unless I meet 2-3 times a year, but that’s khakis/polo casual.

I’ll wear a suit/tie to funerals, dress casual for visitations. Weddings tend to be more business casual with more formal attire in colder months. I have a disdain for people who wear jeans to special occasions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I dont dress up very often. Only recently did I actually buy a decent suit. My issue is I have a disproportionally large neck, so unless I have a shirt tailored, i have to choke myself to button the top button.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Hate getting dressed up. I wore khakis, Timberland hiking boots (they're my best non-tennis shoes) and a button shirt to my class reunion and wore basically the same outfit, different button shirt to my nephew's funeral two years before that. but those are the last two times I've "dressed up," if dressing up is anything more than blue jeans, tee shirt and tennies.

I used to have a wide assortment of dress pants, shirts, ties and two different pair of dress shoes when I was in a management position, but when I got out, i reverted to jeans and never looked back. That was at least 20 years ago.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Worn a tie twice in the last year. Both were for funerals.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Something something ZZ Top.

I miss getting dressed up. Still have a bunch of really nice sport coats that I never wear post-retirement and I have the finest taste in ties of any living American male. Even if I wasn't retired most peeps stopped wearing ties to work except maybe if you were having a big important meeting with state of fed muckymucks.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I dress for comfort most of the time and rarely care what others think of what I'm wearing. However, if the occasion calls for it, I don't mind dressing up. When I do, I've found that you really get what you pay for. Better quality clothes make a huge difference.

Properly tailored shirts make ties much more bearable. And a decent pair of shoes are a must. I used to think that dress shoes had to be those stiff ankle-crucifying dress shoes I was forced to wear as a kid. A comfy pair of nice shoes lends confidence to the rest of the outfit.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I dress for comfort most of the time and rarely care what others think of what I'm wearing. However, if the occasion calls for it, I don't mind dressing up. When I do, I've found that you really get what you pay for. Better quality clothes make a huge difference.

Properly tailored shirts make ties much more bearable. And a decent pair of shoes are a must. I used to think that dress shoes had to be those stiff ankle-crucifying dress shoes I was forced to wear as a kid. A comfy pair of nice shoes lends confidence to the rest of the outfit.
So you sit in your undies most of the time?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Agree. This is how I usually roll...

5c8abfa8a3430.image.jpg

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Dressing up is terrible and only happens for weddings and funerals.

I wear shorts and a t shirt/sweatshirt to work almost every single day it’s above 50 degrees. I put a pair of jeans on last week for the first time in months. It was awful.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I get new insulated coveralls every other year or so, and as soon as it rains or snows, I will be investing in a brand-spanking-new pair of chore boots.

These days, I go to more visitations than weddings, unfortunately, but it is still considered proper to put on a clean shirt and pants. I also dig out the dress shoes for such events.

Follow me for more #FarmFashionTips.