Fox Sports "Best Fanbase in College Football" twitter voting

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's almost like being on the internet is kind of a huge part of most peoples' lives and it will play a part in college football.

Living around UCLA campus and now not too far from stadium where they play...it's gonna be a dumb addition for Big Ten if this thing ever comes down to people actually willing to pay to stream a game and actually watch it.

ISU's SEMO game will get significantly more real interest that UCLA's biggest game this year easily. Nothing against UCLA and if I was a young kid I'd love to go to school there, the sports fan interest just doesn't exist in reality.

Reactions: Kinch

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Living around UCLA campus and now not too far from stadium where they play...it's gonna be a dumb addition for Big Ten if this thing ever comes down to people actually willing to pay to stream a game and actually watch it.

ISU's SEMO game will get significantly more real interest that UCLA's biggest game this year easily. Nothing against UCLA and if I was a young kid I'd love to go to school there, the sports fan interest just doesn't exist in reality.
I would tend to agree with this... my dad went to UCLA, I have been to the campus - beautiful school.

The key is, are they in the running for a playoff spot, etc? If so, I think local interest would be good. But they are fair weather fans. They are not watching a team that is competing for a mid tier bowls, winning 8-9 games, and they are nowhere near the level to compete for a playoff (and path will be even more difficult in the b10).

I just don't think they will be consistently good enough to keep sports fans in the area engaged... playing half their games over 1000 miles away, and losing half their games every year could make them irrelevant... but i guess they will have $100M/yr in tv money to help them buy some players (in the future), coaches, and facilities....

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Ignoring the why question, because why not?

With 23 hours remaining in the Elite 8, currently stands at ISU 57.1 | Cincinnati 42.9%.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I would tend to agree with this... my dad went to UCLA, I have been to the campus - beautiful school.

The key is, are they in the running for a playoff spot, etc? If so, I think local interest would be good. But they are fair weather fans. They are not watching a team that is competing for a mid tier bowls, winning 8-9 games, and they are nowhere near the level to compete for a playoff (and path will be even more difficult in the b10).

I just don't think they will be consistently good enough to keep sports fans in the area engaged... playing half their games over 1000 miles away, and losing half their games every year could make them irrelevant... but i guess they will have $100M/yr in tv money to help them buy some players (in the future), coaches, and facilities....

In my 8 years here (5 near campus, 3 near rose bowl). Their final four basketball run is the only time I saw existence of a casual ucla sports fan.

With USC they really do show out around stadium/campus on fb game days.

I think it’s entirely possible ISU is around 25-35 in real fan base but we’re still in a mix where it’s this legacy media vs real focused viewership that keeps us more in the 50s range of value. Especially if you combine fb and mbb.

There’s no way UCLA is in that 25-35 realm of sports fandom, I can’t speak to rest of Pac because I’ve only seen it as a tourist.

• Agree
Reactions: cymonw1980

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
In my 8 years here (5 near campus, 3 near rose bowl). Their final four basketball run is the only time I saw existence of a casual ucla sports fan.

I think it’s entirely possible ISU is around 25-35 in real fan base but we’re still in a mix where it’s this legacy media vs real focused viewership that keeps us more in the 50s range of value. Especially if you combine fb and mbb.

There’s no way UCLA is in that 25-35 realm of sports fandom, I can’t speak to rest of Pac because I’ve only seen it as a tourist.
Wut? Sorry maybe I'm missing some key or something? What are your numbers referring to that I bolded in the quote?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Wut? Sorry maybe I'm missing some key or something? What are your numbers referring to that I bolded in the quote?

I'm just trying to guess at the number of actual real fans who really watch games and the advertising during the games.

Having lived around ISU for 25 years and around UCLA for 8 years, I would bet my life more people actually watch ISU sports.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I'm just trying to guess at the number of actual real fans who really watch games and the advertising during the games.

Having lived around ISU for 25 years and around UCLA for 8 years, I would bet my life more people actually watch ISU sports.
Oh, are you guessing a stack rank of university fandom, and you are saying that you'd guess ISU would be ranked 25-35?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Oh, are you guessing a stack rank of university fandom, and you are saying that you'd guess ISU would be ranked 25-35?

Yeah just ucla and ISU are the two schools and stadiums I’ve lived closest to and I’d be absolutely shocked if more people are actually watching ucla game broadcasts closely.

Reactions: Clonedogg

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Four hours remaining:

Iowa State 56.7% - Cincinnati 43.3% (27k votes)
West Virginia 62.4% - Houston 37.6% (24k votes)
Oklahoma 50.4% - Baylor 49.6% (38k votes)
Texas Tech 50.1% - Oklahoma State 49.9% (32k votes)

Remarkable how close two of these are.

We would face the TTU-OSU winner in the Final Four round.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

I think it comes down to whether UCLA is relevant nationally. If they are not, the interest really goes down quickly.

I will use their home attendance as an example.

In 1998, UCLA finished the regular season 10-1 (they were 10-0 going into their final game @Miami) and went to the Rose Bowl. They were coming off of a 10-2 season and a win in the 1997 Cotton Bowl. They were I believe top 20 in Home attendance that year and averaged almost 74k fans per game.

In 1999, they went 4-7. Their home attendance dropped to less than 50k per game.

A more recent example is 2014 (their last 10 win season). They had 76,650 per home game, and were #19 nationally in attendance that year. From 2016-2019 however, they did not have a single winning season. By 2019, their home attendance had dropped to under 44k.

This doesn't tell you how many people are watching them on tv.. but I think it gives an indication of overall fan interest and how it peaks during the good times and drops off quickly if they start losing.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think it comes down to whether UCLA is relevant nationally. If they are not, the interest really goes down quickly.

I will use their home attendance as an example.

In 1998, UCLA finished the regular season 10-1 (they were 10-0 going into their final game @Miami) and went to the Rose Bowl. They were coming off of a 10-2 season and a win in the 1997 Cotton Bowl. They were I believe top 20 in Home attendance that year and averaged almost 74k fans per game.

In 1999, they went 4-7. Their home attendance dropped to less than 50k per game.

A more recent example is 2014 (their last 10 win season). They had 76,650 per home game, and were #19 nationally in attendance that year. From 2016-2019 however, they did not have a single winning season. By 2019, their home attendance had dropped to under 44k.

This doesn't tell you how many people are watching them on tv.. but I think it gives an indication of overall fan interest and how it peaks during the good times and drops off quickly if they start losing.

My observations about if anybody is watching them on tv is that I hardly ever see a tv anywhere tuned into their games as opposed to quite often seeing tvs with Dodgers and Lakers or random NFL on. I think they are probably something like 12th-20th in their own neighborhoods. UFC fights will fill up bars at an insanely high rate here compared to local college sports. I’d probably put that third behind Lakers and Dodgers.

Reactions: cymonw1980