Flyover at Kinnick

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
Since it's a college football game and 'they got a flyover'. Trainers are used for the 'non priority, but still worthy' flyovers. Like the Nascar Nationwide race this last weekend. I've seen the trainers a lot more often recently. Kinda screws me up, my wife was getting used to me batting 1.000 on identifying combat/transport planes and .900 on helicopters for flyovers, but these trainers are effing me up.

:skeptical:

It's messing with the belief she was FINALLY starting to give into...I really do know everything. (FTR, I don't, but you married guys know what a GOLDMINE it would be to have a wife believe you knew everything)

GD trainers...messin with a man's flow.

You do know that the T-38 is basically a Northrop F-5 Tiger II Right? Does your wife own a Jane's?

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
And another wonderful waste of taxpayer money

No. Try food stamp abusers, **** animal research, congressman paychecks and Pakistani mango farmers. At least the amount JP-8 used for the fly over is probably a fraction of the amount used on a daily basis world wide. *****... god forbid the American public actually enjoy a supersonic fighter/trainer flying overhead since you know, human aviation has only been around since the Wright brothers. Icarus is rolling in his grave of wax and feathers right now.

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
those are some big airplanes

If the 132nd in DSM keeps their F-16s (they have done fly overs for us before), eventually they will have F-35As if things go well. Someday, we could see Lightning II's fly over Jack Trice.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXleqieZIEo"]F-35 Lightning II in 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
I will never forget the year Dubuque had A-10's fly for the 4th of July demonstration. They used to have "targets" and such on the river and various aircraft would perform combat maneuvers in a simulated air-ground battle. I recall a few years watching old P-51's which where great but I lost my **** when the A-10's rolled in. Such an amazing tank!

Oh, the other one I loved was walking out of my house to the garage and having a B-2 do a low pass right overhead.

Dubuque annually has one of the best air shows in the state on the 3rd of July. Being from there, I was spoiled growing up. They have had the F-16, F/A-18, A-10, B-2, B-1B, F-117, MiG-17, P-51, P-40, P-38, A6M Zeros to name a few. It's pretty legit.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If the 132nd in DSM keeps their F-16s (they have done fly overs for us before), eventually they will have F-35As if things go well. Someday, we could see Lightning II's fly over Jack Trice.

F-35 Lightning II in 2011 - YouTube

Sorry, but I don't see Des Moines ever getting the F-35.

Then they would have never gotten F-16s in the first place.

With the entire military (excluding the Army) going to the F-35, eventually DSM will get them. It may take a decade or two, but they will get them. The whole point of going to the F-35 is to eliminate F-16s from the fleet, even at the ANG level.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Dubuque annually has one of the best air shows in the state on the 3rd of July. Being from there, I was spoiled growing up. They have had the F-16, F/A-18, A-10, B-2, B-1B, F-117, MiG-17, P-51, P-40, P-38, A6M Zeros to name a few. It's pretty legit.

I'm assuming you work at the lockheed facility in fort worth.

I got a tour there with the flying club. Got to see the f-16 and f-35 being assembled. It was fascinating.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Then they would have never gotten F-16s in the first place.

With the entire military (excluding the Army) going to the F-35, eventually DSM will get them. It may take a decade or two, but they will get them. The whole point of going to the F-35 is to eliminate F-16s from the fleet, even at the ANG level.

Nobody in the Guard Bureau or the Pentagon was thinking about the F-35 and DSM in 1990 when DSM changed from the A-7 to the F-16...

DSM is going to be lucky to keep the F-16 in the near future considering a lot of the F-16 and A-10 units across the country are going to the MQ-1, MQ-9 and MC-12.

At the rate the F-35 is being built and with the production being pushed back, the active duty forces are going to be lucky to get the F-35 in the next decade.

Last edited:

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
Nobody in the Guard Bureau or the Pentagon was thinking about the F-35 and DSM in 1990 when DSM changed from the A-7 to the F-16...

DSM is going to be lucky to keep the F-16 in the near future considering a lot of the F-16 and A-10 units across the country are going to the MQ-1, MQ-9 and MC-12.

At the rate the F-35 is being built and with the production being pushed back, the active duty forces are going to be lucky to get the F-35 in the next decade.

We will see what happens, but I can tell you that the USAF is looking to purchase roughly 1,000 F-35s though its build cycle much like the F-16. Not to mention foreign sales and the USN/USMC. Lockheed has pitched to the USAF that the F-35A is a direct replacement for the A-10 and F-16. Along with the B/C models, this jet will be the backbone of our armed forces even more than the F-16 ever was.

Drones will definitely be used more extensively in the future, but the F-35 is much, much more than just a weapons delivery platform. As far as rate, we have just recently cleared out massive areas where the old F-2 (Japanese F-16) and F-22 components were assembled to assist in ramp up of production. Once all of the infrastructure is in place, rate should improve tremendously along with the process improvements in the next 5 years.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
We will see what happens, but I can tell you that the USAF is looking to purchase roughly 1,000 F-35s though its build cycle much like the F-16. Not to mention foreign sales and the USN/USMC. Lockheed has pitched to the USAF that the F-35A is a direct replacement for the A-10 and F-16. Along with the B/C models, this jet will be the backbone of our armed forces even more than the F-16 ever was.

Drones will definitely be used more extensively in the future, but the F-35 is much, much more than just a weapons delivery platform. As far as rate, we have just recently cleared out massive areas where the old F-2 (Japanese F-16) and F-22 components were assembled to assist in ramp up of production. Once all of the infrastructure is in place, rate should improve tremendously along with the process improvements in the next 5 years.

The F-35 may be a replacement for the A-10 but it will never replace what the A-10 has to offer and the capabilities of the A-10! :no:

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was hoping Iowa State would get a B-2 to flyover. We aren't that far from Whiteman.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
I was hoping Iowa State would get a B-2 to flyover. We aren't that far from Whiteman.

All it takes is for the Air Force ROTC Detachment to put the request in and get approval from the FAA and the Pentagon and then have somebody at Whiteman volunteer for the flyover.

What people don't know is that it is a timely process to get a flyover. It took me over 3 months to ge the approval for flyover on Sept 8th and it all started by me contacting the Iowa Air Force ROTC Detachment...

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Flyovers = Awesome. Trust me, I have an Aerospace Engr degree from a very prestigious university.

If you don't like flyovers, please have your doctor check to see that you are still able to enjoy life.

2nd topic, someone mentioned the DBQ airshow, it is a good one. Personally, I'd love to see a B-1B do a low level pass, circle around and do a high-speed pass. That would test the new scoreboard structural integrity!

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. A fly-by of the Iowa City Dump wouldn't be too hard. A lot easier than a trip through Beggar's Canyon.