Finding Food Item from Childhood help

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My mom bought a lot of boxed chips like this when I was a kid. As well as other things from the warehouse etc. in the old generic black and white packaging.

Remember the 8 packs of pop that we would have on our basement steps, that my sister and I would get to SHARE a bottle maybe on a Friday or Saturday night as a treat!

How times have changed.

View attachment 108836
When your kids turn about 14-15, get a sixer of generic beer, the white can with black letters that says beer. Let them have a sip or two of it and you won't have to worry about them drinking the stuff for a few years. That stuff was nasty. I stole one from my dad and it was nasty.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
If anyone can find Schwan's pizzaburgers I would appreciate you for life.

I went on a hunt looking for pizzaburgers about 8 years ago. I never did find the dang things. I'm still craving them to this day!

If I remember correctly they were a breaded patty that had a very distinct pizza flavoring and our school would even serve them for lunch sometimes. But I can't find anything similar anywhere!

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I've previously told my kids "When I was young, chips came in boxes." And then they ask me if I fought in World War 1, and we all have a good laugh, until I start crying because I'm only in my 40s.
That’s when you just lean into it by asking them about what’s on the tick tocks or the new song by William Irish (or whatever references are relevant)

Reactions: Angie

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I went on a hunt looking for pizzaburgers about 8 years ago. I never did find the dang things. I'm still craving them to this day!

If I remember correctly they were a breaded patty that had a very distinct pizza flavoring and our school would even serve them for lunch sometimes. But I can't find anything similar anywhere!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My mom bought a lot of boxed chips like this when I was a kid. As well as other things from the warehouse etc. in the old generic black and white packaging.

Remember the 8 packs of pop that we would have on our basement steps, that my sister and I would get to SHARE a bottle maybe on a Friday or Saturday night as a treat!

How times have changed.

View attachment 108836

LOL my folks would have card club, they would let us kids split a 16 Oz bottle of pop 3 ways and we thought we were living large.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
LOL my folks would have card club, they would let us kids split a 16 Oz bottle of pop 3 ways and we thought we were living large.
We had a few (not sure there ever was even a dozen) smaller bottles in our basement. I remember Mom liking cream soda, I didn't. I also remember the really old Mountain Dew bottles with the hillbilly guy and slogan, "It'll tickle your innards!" Four kids in our family. When we got the rare pop, it was usually root beer. The full bottles were dusty because they were hardly ever touched.

Reactions: 2speedy1

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

I've done about everything possible to find them. Tweeted @SchwansCompany and sent them messages asking if there was some place to buy them or if I could buy the recipe but they never respond. Tried a few copycat recipes from Google. Looked at a bunch of food sites seeing if I could find something similar.

Schwan's version wasn't breaded, it was two meat patties with mozarella in the middle and not enclosed so the cheese could melt out of the middle a bit. I've tried a lot of different pizza burgers when I find them on a menu and nearly all of them suck, barely edible. Only good one I have liked is from Sinclair gas station in Lansing, IA but it's still no Schwan's.

Somewhat looked like this:

1674833818208.png

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Some DQ's have them.

Reactions: Revenge of Macloney
Dec 16, 2022

Ames Dairy Queen by the mall.

You're welcome.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
A big question is, how old were you? I know there are things I remember from my youth and when I would experience it again 20 years later as an adult, it wasn't as good as I remembered or like I remembered.
You definitely have a point. I was not very old when these were available. I just remember them being my favorite, and then being really disappointed when they no longer had them. And as an adult it has always been a mystery as to what they were, and if they are still made somewhere.

Also yes, very possible they could be absolutely terrible to me today. I have had the exact experience you have had. Sometimes wondering if they have changed the item from years before because of the disappointment.

Reactions: BCClone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
When your kids turn about 14-15, get a sixer of generic beer, the white can with black letters that says beer. Let them have a sip or two of it and you won't have to worry about them drinking the stuff for a few years. That stuff was nasty. I stole one from my dad and it was nasty.
LOL, I have been searching for that 'ol Schmidt beer flavor of my dads from when I was just a kid in grade school getting pulls off my dad since. I think that's when I found my love for beer, and now.. not sure that would be what I like. LOL Funny how our taste buds change.

Reactions: BCClone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Avail at Martin Bros. Distributing in Mason City

1674846475825.png

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
OMG Card Club!!!

You too!!! That is crazy, I didnt know those were a thing beyond my parents!

Some peoples parents swung, Some peoples parents played Cards....:jimlad:

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Not candy but we used to get milk delivered in glass bottles to the front door.
We got ours out of the milk tank, until we quit farming, then we got ours out of the neighbors milk tank. Then we moved and had to try to stomach store bought milk.
My dad never did get used to it.

I'm not a huge milk person, but I hated the milk in school at the time because it was so different than what we had at home.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron