Financial Aid Advice

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yikes, ISU is only $80ish total.
Yep, tuition/fees/room/board for us has been closer to $90k for four years ($22ish/year), and then add in extras like sororities, study abroad, and that takes it closer to $95-$100. But still, $61k a year for a public university is insane.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
My four ISU engineers all knew people that did this and none of them finished in four years. Was not great for the core engineering coursework. Not sure if it has improved.

I graduated in 4 years flat with a EE that started at a CC. The biggest impediment was ISU's system for getting into a class, and the sequence of prerequisites for the upper classes.

Honestly, I think my foundation was superior to my ISU peers when I got there. Taking calc with 200 peers and a TA that has been speaking English for 6 months is not optimal for learning.

H

• Agree
Reactions: g4ce

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I graduated in 4 years flat with a EE that started at a CC. The biggest impediment was ISU's system for getting into a class, and the sequence of prerequisites for the upper classes.

Honestly, I think my foundation was superior to my ISU peers when I got there. Taking calc with 200 peers and a TA that has been speaking English for 6 months is not optimal for learning.

H
It may make a difference which community college you go to. I know DMAAC uses tons of adjuncts and for years were trying to get my brothers who are high school math teachers to go teach there as adjuncts.They just have a bachelor’s degree. They probably would be fine at it but the desperation to find anyone to teach stuff always seemed sketch to me.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It may make a difference which community college you go to. I know DMAAC uses tons of adjuncts and for years were trying to get my brothers who are high school math teachers to go teach there as adjuncts.They just have a bachelor’s degree. They probably would be fine at it but the desperation to find anyone to teach stuff always seemed sketch to me.
I think I'd personally rather have an experienced high school teach me Calc 2 than the 24 year old grad student ta who taught me it at isu.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Well duh, that's been the case for all of time basically. And it's a LOT easier now than it once was. My 9th grader has the option to start taking DMACC courses and they specifically tell you the transferability of all of them. Obviously helps if you can narrow your undergrad college choice to a few options.
You'll be surprised that so many people didn't realize that

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Compare Parent Plus loans to bank loans before making a final decision
Parent plus is right around 8.50% I think also has a 4% fee which adds up when talking about thousands of dollars. Iowa student Loan has been competitive with that and usually better in past. Also can keep it in students name to help build credit. A lot of banks seem to be getting out of it like Wells Fargo for example. I tend to think Private if you find a good lender is better than Parent Plus

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Same at the U of M here. If you take the Cc route better make sure the classes are transferrable, otherwise it will negate the purpose
A lot of the CC in Iowa have agreements with the public 4 year universities that allow students to spend the first two years at the CC and then all their grades are counting like they were taken at one of the three state universities. Not sure if they do it by major or what, but something to look into if you plan to go to school here in Iowa. IHCC works with ISU and UNI, not sure if they have a set up with EIU or not.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
An alternative option is to take the CC classes in the summer. You can graduate early if needed or take a lighter load some semesters. Especially nice if you are doing post grad work as many transfer over as pass/fail credits. Don’t have to take a full course load just one or two a summer for the first two years.

Not perfect but an option

I did that at ISU - well, not CC classes but took some low hanging generic credits to get them out of the way my first summer while I also worked/lived on campus. Freed up my schedule a bit going forward and I don't think they were as $$ as during the other terms.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Out of state tuition is ouch, out of curiosity which school if you don’t mind disclosing, also congrats to him!

Not at all! He was accepted to CU-Bolder but that was low on his last. (Phew - we were quoted $64k - yikes!) Wisconsin was his #1, with ISU as a fall-back. Got into WI-Madison and is super excited!

Yeah - we're on double teacher salaries. I always promised him and his younger brother that we'll find a way to make it work.

Thanks everyone - I'm going to digest all this and will keep you posted. And keep sending the advice!

[Edit: formatting]

UW-Madison is a fantastic school, congrats to him! To the detriment of the out of state attendees - there's been some........shenanigans by the state legislature to limit tuition increases for in-state students. That leads to both increased acceptance and charging of out of state students. Depending upon his area of study, would agree with others that if there is the possibility (and work with an advisor on this) to take courses either over the first couple summers (including this one) or through MATC/Edgewood that may allow him to graduate even a semester early to cut down on costs or create a more open schedule that make space for work/whatever else.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
My goal in life is to die broke.

Paying for my kids to go to college should help me with that goal.

I don't envy anyone with these decisions - on one hand you want your kids to pursue their own goals and dreams, and on the other is the insane prices and financial reality for all of us.

Reactions: Candide and Joe4Cy

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
One of the great things about 4 year schools is being a freshman/sophomore, and being away from home. Get yourself into a little trouble here and there. Nothing to bad hopefully. Learn how to study and pull an all nighter. Heading to the pub that serves minors on a Friday after class. Tailgating in the fall. House parties. Dorm pranks. Developing life long friendships. RBI tournaments. Ahh, College.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
One of the great things about 4 year schools is being a freshman/sophomore, and being away from home. Get yourself into a little trouble here and there. Nothing to bad hopefully. Learn how to study and pull an all nighter. Heading to the pub that serves minors on a Friday after class. Tailgating in the fall. House parties. Dorm pranks. Developing life long friendships. RBI tournaments. Ahh, College.

Yup, that's part of growing up. We want our kids to grow and learn and sometimes being away, being alone, away by themselves help their development.
This is worth its own thread but the stuffs you mentioned are so valuable. Added with other things, like getting along with roommates (esp if the school assigns your roommate(s) ) finding new friends, getting to know people, experiencing rejection(s), etc. Hopefully that would make them well-rounded people

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
My oldest is setting off for college this fall after taking a gap year. He's going out of state as well. To a Big10 School. Forgive me, I failed him. (To be fair, he does cheer fo the Good Guys, when he chooses to watch. Doesn't really follow much sports ...yet.)

All that aside, I haven't had to deal with or jump through the financial circus in ...30-ish years. We've completed the FAFSA and are waiting to hear back. He's applying for scholarships.

I'm asking what else do I need to know? I feel I don't know what I don't know. Like, if I get a bank loan, do we take one out for his entire college career or on a year-by-year basis? Where else could we look into for financial assistance?

Anything I need to know will be highly appreciated!
For starters I've not read any other response so take that into account. Second, I used to work in financial aid, still have connections in financial aid, and also am enrolling my first into college this fall. I would be happy to share what I know if you want to DM me.

Reactions: Joe4Cy

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This is probably walking the Cave line and I'm sure someone can poke holes but re-reading OP, if I'm OP, I really really try to avoid taking out loans in my own name/spouse's name. Unless you feel absolutely rock solid about your retirement - your son has a long time to pay these off and it's very possible the whole ecosystem around student loans will be a different world 10-30 years from now. He can borrow against his education; you can't borrow against retirement.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
FYI, you will get a 2500 tax credit unless you make 500k a year or something like that. Don’t be a rear and eat that, at minimum you should pay that much of your kids cost.

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
This is probably walking the Cave line and I'm sure someone can poke holes but re-reading OP, if I'm OP, I really really try to avoid taking out loans in my own name/spouse's name. Unless you feel absolutely rock solid about your retirement - your son has a long time to pay these off and it's very possible the whole ecosystem around student loans will be a different world 10-30 years from now. He can borrow against his education; you can't borrow against retirement.
Oh, yes something else to consider! Sigh...!

Things are going to work out - it'll just be stressful for ...well, forever!

• Friendly
Reactions: cowgirl836

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I just did some quick math, 30,000 students with 15,000 (half instate and half out)tuition is a heck of an amount. Never really totaled it up before.

Help Support Us

Become a patron