Favorite/Least Favorite Christmas Carol?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I have a hard time with the more modern ones usually. My parents had a few old records that we always played on Christmas, Like Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, etc. And because this has always been my earliest memories of Christmas Music and atmosphere, I have a hard time liking anything new.

I do like Mannheim Steamroller, and some of Michael Buble reminds me of those classics, and is not so bad.

But most of the others that are recent just arent as good to me

Like these:

Mount Rushmore of Christmas singers

Nat "King" Cole
Big Crosby
Dean Martin
Elvis

Every year I try to pick a favorite. Some years it's Nat. Others Bing or Dean. Elvis was my top dog for years.

But, in the sprit of Christmas I'll just say they're all amazing

Edit: OK. Grinch time. Favorite Things...sucks. Every version

CliveClone17

Feb 24, 2015
My favorite is "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." It takes you through the experience of celebrating Christmas in a world that doesn't have peace on earth. Very thoughtful.
  1. I heard the bells on Christmas day
    Their old familiar carols play;
    In music sweet the tones repeat,
    “There’s peace on earth, good will to men.”
  2. I thought how, as the day had come,
    The belfries of all Christendom
    Had rolled along th’ unbroken song
    Of peace on earth, good will to men.
  3. And in despair I bowed my head:
    “There is no peace on earth,” I said,
    “For hate is strong, and mocks the song
    Of peace on earth, good will to men.”
  4. Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
    “God is not dead, nor does He sleep,
    For Christ is here; His Spirit near
    Brings peace on earth, good will to men.”
  5. When men repent and turn from sin
    The Prince of Peace then enters in,
    And grace imparts within their hearts
    His peace on earth, good will to men.
  6. O souls amid earth’s busy strife,
    The Word of God is light and life;
    Oh, hear His voice, make Him your choice,
    Hail peace on earth, good will to men.
  7. Then happy, singing on your way,
    Your world will change from night to day;
    Your heart will feel the message real,
    Of peace on earth, good will to men.
The Casting Crowns version is my favorite as well. It is based on a poem by Longfellow at the time of the Civil War after learning about the severe injury of his son in battle. Listened to in that context gives it special meaning to me.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
I enjoy any rendition of “Carol of the Bells”. Also “Do They It’s Christmas?” by Band Aid is a good one.

Can’t really stand “Santa Baby” or “Baby It’s Cold Outside”
Do They Know It's Christmas is so cringey.

But say a prayer
Pray for the other ones
At Christmas time it's hard
But when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing is
The bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring there
Are the clanging chimes of doom
Well, tonight thank God it's them instead of you
And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life, ohh
Where nothing ever grows
No rain or rivers flow
Do they know it's Christmas time at all? Ohh

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Just listened to an instrumental version of Ave Maria and throwing that in as a favorite. Granted the words are from pre-Christmas events but I always consider it a Christmas song.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Mount Rushmore of Christmas singers

Nat "King" Cole
Big Crosby
Dean Martin
Elvis

Every year I try to pick a favorite. Some years it's Nat. Others Bing or Dean. Elvis was my top dog for years.

But, in the sprit of Christmas I'll just say they're all amazing

Edit: OK. Grinch time. Favorite Things...sucks. Every version
Yeah, from memory, my parents had vinyl records of several Christmas records, including, a couple that were compilations of the greats, a couple Elvis Christmas albums, at least one Nat King Cole Christmas, also at least on Sinatra album, I remember Dean and Bing too, but I cant remember if they had stand alone records for them or if they were just on the compilation albums. They had a stack of records, but the only ones that got any playing time were the Christmas records in the season. They also had an old Silent night that was in German, and was for the old phonographs, one sided extra thick record, might have had an english and German version on it, cant remember for sure.

We had a couple portable record players, and one of the big console stereo record players the size of a buffet.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
My absolute favorite is "Grown Up Christmas List" by Amy Grant

My absolute least favorite is Taylor Swift's version of "Last Christmas". Girl, pick a key.

In that Amy Grant one, I was stunned to see the Santa doll in the very beginning was exactly what we had growing up. I'd (foolishly) always thought it was a one-of-a-kind. But, SO nostalgic.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
A few weeks ago, YouTube appears to have auto-generated a video of the backing track for Andy Willliam's cover of Sleigh Ride, which is one of my favorite Christmas tunes. It's a fully-instrumented jazzy arrangement (with 5 key changes) by Bob Mersey, who was a notable arranger and producer at Columbia (the media conglomerate) in the 1960s.

I love listening to good backing tracks, and all the subtle intracacies going on. The whole track is great; piano and bass are really good if you can pick them out.

Merry Christmas by Andy, which is where this song was first released, is a classic Christmas album.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I really like most Christmas songs. But I especially hate "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." Especially the Jackson 5 version. The thing about a child witnessing adultery, and wondering what dad will think and do. I have an idea of what Joe Jackson would have done, and I don't think it's Christmas Song material.

I could I interest you in this version of “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”?

Reactions: nrg4isu

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Having lived with my wife for 23 years, who is a Xmas music addict, any song rates right up there with a root canal for me.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
I really like most Christmas songs. But I especially hate "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." Especially the Jackson 5 version. The thing about a child witnessing adultery, and wondering what dad will think and do. I have an idea of what Joe Jackson would have done, and I don't think it's Christmas Song material.
It's a joke!

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Not a Christmas song but one of my favorites is Baby It's Cold Outside. Good song and also the woke gets so triggered over it.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008

Paul McCartney - wonderful Christmastime
I can't stand this song. Harmon and Jeff ripping on it is great.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
My dad’s favorite Christmas song. Of the Father’s Love Begotten.