Fat Stanley without Doyle

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Anyone with a basic understand of both football and math wouldn't.
Who is a better pitcher a 14 - 10 guy with a 3.0 ERA or a 20 - 4 guy with a 3.5 ERA that led his team to the playoffs. Better is relative. Brock Purdy would not have the same stats if he was a QB at Wisconsin for example. Wouldn't make him a better or worse QB but he would have a better record and passing stats would be less impressive.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Sure, because you're a fan of a team, not the player.

But you're moving the goalposts completely. My prior responses were in reference to someone trying to compare Brock and Stanley as individual players by their wins. That's nonsense.
I get that. I'm just saying that Wins is a stat too. Do you think Cowboy fans view Tony Romo as a better QB than Troy Aikman? He shattered all of Troy's passing records.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Who is a better pitcher a 14 - 10 guy with a 3.0 ERA or a 20 - 4 guy with a 3.5 ERA that led his team to the playoffs. Better is relative. Brock Purdy would not have the same stats if he was a QB at Wisconsin for example. Wouldn't make him a better or worse QB but he would have a better record and passing stats would be less impressive.

Why wouldn't Purdy have similar stats at Wisconsin? Wisconsin has a better OL and plays a weaker schedule

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
giphy.gif

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

You lost me at "led his team to the playoffs". Baseball, like football, relies on things completely out of your control. Wins are a meaningless stat.

Listen, there are advanced stats that can support this argument. I'm too lazy to pull them. But there are statistics that try to remove variables. "Wins", more than maybe any other stat, does not remove variables.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It works for ISU fans to take the highest projection out there and use it as the bar to be compared to. Why wouldn't Iowa fans follow suit?

Iowa State fans are not saying Brock will be a top 11 pick. Hok fans, however, are certainly hoping that this one report is something to run with.
We heard (from hok fans) all year that your DE was top ten pick, and your QB was a third or fourth rounder. Not so much.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Iowa State fans are not saying Brock will be a top 11 pick. Hok fans, however, are certainly hoping that this one report is something to run with.
We heard (from hok fans) all year that your DE was top ten pick, and your QB was a third or fourth rounder. Not so much.

Nice try. Purdy is a consensus top 11 pick in next years draft. Hopefully CMC doesn't hurt his draft stock this year.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I'm not downplaying anything. He's an absolute stud and CMC beat Saban to get an out of state kid with no ties to the program

I agree, being a projected top 10 pick is no joke. Lets hope CMC uses him right this year and doesn't make his NFL stock drop any.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I'm not downplaying anything. He's an absolute stud and CMC beat Saban to get an out of state kid with no ties to the program

How is CMC's 21 class looking so far? Are there going to be any commits that ISU is in the lead for coming up to be excited about?

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

In this example the guy with 3 ERA is better. Using wins as a stat for pitchers in baseball should be used as an IQ test...

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Noel is down to Nebraska and Iowa State. He cut out Wisconsin, Kansas State, Minnesota and Iowa out of his final list

Bruce is thought of to being down to Iowa and Iowa State

Where do you think Iowa and ISU's classes will rank come December?

I'm guessing Iowa will be mid 30s and ISU late 40s.