Facilities question

sloaner

Apr 19, 2006
Indianola, IA
Now that the Mens and Womens Basketball teams are going to have a practice facility, does that free up other facilities that the Volleyball team could potentially call home. I do not really know the different facilities that the various teams have had to use, but I would think that the new facilities should open up a lot of potential opportunities for the volleyball team.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
With the mens and womens bball teams at their own facility, that should open up almost everything else for vball. Forker, Hilton (pending games), and state gym (if they practiced their in the first place).

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
don't get me wrong, I'm giddy about the new practice facility, but I was mildly disappointed they didn't have a 3rd gym space in the facility for v-ball. How much more would it have cost to have added that? ISU v-ball has great potential to reach the next level consistently based on recent success and the coaching staff. I know Coach Johnson and her husband personally and I think they have the know-how and recruiting connections to get it done at ISU.... I know the sport of volleyball isn't as popular as the game of basketball in Iowa, but considering how Cylcone nation embraced women's hoops in the last decade, I think a similar pattern could happen with volleyball to where there are 3-4k fans attending games consistently in hilton. I'm not sure if thats enough to help the Athletic dept. financially, but it sure couldn't hurt. Wisconsin consistently draws crowds of 10k+ for women's v-ball games in Madison and the huskers fill pershing auditorium in lincoln for v-ball like they do memorial stadium for football.

sloaner

Apr 19, 2006
Indianola, IA
don't get me wrong, I'm giddy about the new practice facility, but I was mildly disappointed they didn't have a 3rd gym space in the facility for v-ball. How much more would it have cost to have added that? ISU v-ball has great potential to reach the next level consistently based on recent success and the coaching staff. I know Coach Johnson and her husband personally and I think they have the know-how and recruiting connections to get it done at ISU.... I know the sport of volleyball isn't as popular as the game of basketball in Iowa, but considering how Cylcone nation embraced women's hoops in the last decade, I think a similar pattern could happen with volleyball to where there are 3-4k fans attending games consistently in hilton. I'm not sure if thats enough to help the Athletic dept. financially, but it sure couldn't hurt. Wisconsin consistently draws crowds of 10k+ for women's v-ball games in Madison and the huskers fill pershing auditorium in lincoln for v-ball like they do memorial stadium for football.

I would assume that it is Basketball only because that is what the lead donor wanted and ISU could not justify the extra cost with the time line they are facing.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
I would assume that it is Basketball only because that is what the lead donor wanted and ISU could not justify the extra cost with the time line they are facing.

I understand that Sloaner, consider who the doner was and all, but considering the original project was for $35 million, and this project is $8 million, perhaps finding an extra $1.5 million (just guessing the cost) would benefit in the long run for volleyball?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I'm not sure why another court for vollyball is needed? As pointed out, having the new baskeball facility will open all the other locations up for vollyball as well as wrestling etc etc. Does every sport really need it's own facility? I say no.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I'm not sure why another court for vollyball is needed? As pointed out, having the new baskeball facility will open all the other locations up for vollyball as well as wrestling etc etc. Does every sport really need it's own facility? I say no.

It's more than the court. As pointed out earlier in this thread and in other threads, it's locker rooms, offices, player lounges, medical facilities, etc. To answer your question: yes, every sport does need access to at least some kind of decent facilities--at least they do if you want them to be more successful in recruiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Transient

clonesvb

Nov 7, 2006

They need respectable facilities. Forker is a dump and when they have to practice there its hot and nearly impossible to hold two practices a day during the first couple weeks. Hopefully there is a plan down the road because this coaching staff has a chance to be a top-10 team with some facilities that at least compare to those of their Big 12 peers.

PlymouthCy

Mar 21, 2006
Hinton
Visit site
It's more than the court. As pointed out earlier in this thread and in other threads, it's locker rooms, offices, player lounges, medical facilities, etc. To answer your question: yes, every sport does need access to at least some kind of decent facilities--at they do if you want them be more successful in recruiting.

I'm sure if you would be willing to donate the money, they would build a facility for v-ball. The unfortunate reality is v-ball is not a big ticket sport, and therefore gets little or no attention from donors.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I'm sure if you would be willing to donate the money, they would build a facility for v-ball. The unfortunate reality is v-ball is not a big ticket sport, and therefore gets little or no attention from donors.

I didn't say anything about donations or lack thereof. I was simply trying to explain that the other sports do need good facilities to help them be successful.

Pollard has said he wants all of the programs in the department to be successful, and don't get me wrong: it's my firm belief that he will find some kind of solution for the volleyball team. As noted already, the volleyball program was originally included in the practice facility plans, and I don't believe the athletic department would abandon the program.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron