Facilities and financial update from Jamie Pollard

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
What do you RV tailgaters think about the new "RV Village?" Designated spots and utilities are nice. Having a dedicated walking bridge to the stadium is cool. However, it feels a bit like giving up the "getting together with friends in Ames" vibe for "getting together with Grandpa and Grandma in Arizona."
For $4,000 per year they should build a permanent bathroom facility like Memphis has.

Dedicated RV spaces and the electric hookup is huge so that is exciting.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I don't know about you, but I started getting calls on donating about 6 months out of college and I had loans to pay back. Seems to me that was pretty aggressive. I did graduate back in 1990 also.
I received a ton of those from the ISU Alumni Association, but never heard a peep out of the AD. C/O 2011

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If I could donate more to specifically update Hilton and get the men their own practice facility (preferably on campus) I would do that. I think the Men’s BBall program is being neglected somewhat.

Why do they need a facility right on campus? Their facility now is right next to the apartments they all live in, that is about as convenient as it gets.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
What do you RV tailgaters think about the new "RV Village?" Designated spots and utilities are nice. Having a dedicated walking bridge to the stadium is cool. However, it feels a bit like giving up the "getting together with friends in Ames" vibe for "getting together with Grandpa and Grandma in Arizona."

I can't imagine the S8 donors will like being shifted 4-5x the distance away from the stadium.

Reactions: I@ST1

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Hidden in the finer print is a new requirement that RV donors must be at the Captains level ($3750) in order to request a space

We asked about an RV pass a couple years ago. They told us to have a good chance at getting one, we should donate in the Captains level. Most of the passes were sold out before Gold level had a chance to get one.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Has it been addressed by Pollard whether replacing portions of the interior walkway could be tunred into suites? I would think this could be accommodated with the exterior walkways expanded (Set to be down if we get a good TV deal in 2025)

I'm about as far from an architect or engineer. But to my untrained eye.. You could close the inner corners rather easily. Those lower corner section would lose the middle isle. But are small enough that seems like a decent trade off

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I'd like to see a graph of the number of donors over the last 30 years or so. Has the number increased, decreased or remained constant. I'd like to see what happened to the numbers when JP started the coaches tour to replace most of the local cyclone clubs.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Here is the original Hilton renovation idea.. Extend the balcony down, covering the inner walkways. Adding suites to the upper deck

1642697358678.png

I believe this had a price tag of $60M but that included a practice facility to the South of Hilton for MBB and WBB that is no longer needed

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Has it been addressed by Pollard whether replacing portions of the interior walkway could be tunred into suites? I would think this could be accommodated with the exterior walkways expanded (Set to be down if we get a good TV deal in 2025)

I'm about as far from an architect or engineer. But to my untrained eye.. You could close the inner corners rather easily. Those lower corner section would lose the middle isle. But are small enough that seems like a decent trade off
JP wants to keep the hillsides and doesn't want to sell alcohol but he also needs to generate more revenue - something has to give.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I don't know about you, but I started getting calls on donating about 6 months out of college and I had loans to pay back. Seems to me that was pretty aggressive. I did graduate back in 1990 also.
Same here... BUT.... that $ was being solicited for the university, NOT the athletic Dept. The ISU Athletic Dept needs to go on an innovative appealing Ad campaign and reach out.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
If I could donate more to specifically update Hilton and get the men their own practice facility (preferably on campus) I would do that. I think the Men’s BBall program is being neglected somewhat.

If it was a large enough donation, I'm sure Jamie would let you earmark it for whatever you wanted. :)

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
JP wants to keep the hillsides and doesn't want to sell alcohol but he also needs to generate more revenue - something has to give.

I'm not sure I accept that framing. Alcohol just doesn't matter that much, revenue-wise. It may someday be an amenity most people expect, and therefore Pollard has to add to keep people buying tickets, but the marginal revenue from alcohol just isn't that great.

And while Pollard may like the hillsides, I'm guessing he'd give them up in a heartbeat if he knew he could sell enough tickets at that price point to make stadium expansion worth it, and had the funds to expand the stadium and replace the space lost from the Jacobson Building.

And as he said, ticket sales pale in comparison to TV revenue anyway.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

I just don't understand the beer thing. Hilton and Trice are the only two entertainment buildings in the state, including on campus at UNI and Iowa, where you can't buy a beer.

It's definitely becoming something fans expect to have available and are more than willing to pay a premium for.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011

Tailgating with full power hookup is a GAME CHANGER!! Those who camp at campgrounds with full electrical hookup will tell you this.

A/C running for August/September games. Heat running for cold games. Multiple TV's, multiple crock pots. Access to a microwave, refrigerators. It's a complete and total game changer!!!

AND YOU DON"T HAVE TO HEAR OR MAINTAIN A GENERATOR!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron