ESPN, Fox Open Discussions for Next Big 12 Deal

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Let's just say something not so good that just happened to me probably means good things for the Big 12. I can't say exactly what it is that I know, but I will leave it to the sleuths to decipher. Clues are there. Hint, look at what's in my profile picture and the 14th and 49th letters of this post.

Seriously, why do people do **** like this
Yeah you have zero idea of what I actually have knowledge on. But you can dumb my post, that's fine. The people that do know me and what I do would definitely take what I said seriously.

Nick P

Aug 11, 2022
ESPN needs the Big 12 for basketball just as much as football That's a huge gem in the ESPN crown especially with the Big 12's challenges with the SEC and Big East

Reactions: CascadeClone

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I keep going back to one thing with a lot of these realignment scenarios, particularly with the ACC. The top ACC teams (Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc) need to get into the P2 to keep up with those programs. The next level of teams would likely prefer to be in the #3 conference, but what's the difference in revenue?

On the other hand, the P2, ESPN and Fox don't need any of the ACC teams to make gobs of money. Is it financially worthwhile to them to buy them out of the ACC or buy the rest of the ACC off? If it wasn't worth buying OUT of the B12 for 3 years, how is the math different for Clemson/FSU/Miami or others over 10-12 years.

I think FOX/NBC/CBS would possibly pay for a Foursome of FSU, Miami, Clemson, Ga. Tech. So ESPN wouldn't be forced to pay for those increased revenues. ESPN could probably stomach just paying for UNC & VA over that same time period to keep them in their conference.
As for the non-P2-bound ACC teams, imagine if Iowa and Iowa St were in the ACC. Iowa had a P2 invitation and Iowa St had a B12 invite. The B12 pays $3-$4m more than the ACC, but the P2 pays $20-30m more per year. Iowa St can move to the B12 now, or be fairly certain they'll have an invite in 12 years. Do they go along with it now, or use the opportunity to keep their rival out of the P2 for the time being? 10-12 ACC teams are Iowa St in this scenario right now and any six of them could nix the deal.
I think those ACC revenues include ACC Network which has done well the last couple of years. I believe the T1 & T2 revenue is always higher in the B12 but forecasters are increasing the ACC Network revenue that makes up the difference. What if the P3 was offered 45M revenue with the new deal starting in 2024 plus the old ACC Network now being rolled into the P3/B12 maybe called the Great America league or whatever. ESPN sponsors that network also and the network is marketed on a national basis since the league would be national.

I think the networks walk a fine line going forward with college sports. If you make everyone feel like a glorified G5 member national viewership declines quite a bit. On the other hand if you feel like a P2 light league fans may keep watching. It does no good to engineer more really good T1 content and good T2 content if you have pissed off a significant amount of the college viewers.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
CBS has 4 MW games total for the entire season, not 4 per week.

ND could easily start a little later to accommodate an 11 AM lead in.
I don't see ND moving for anything. That being said, 10 am kickoffs wouldn't upset me one bit to have a consistent presence on OTA.

Reactions: CyDan

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Sorry if a dumb question, but would the GOR money even go to remaining member schools? Or would part, or all, go to or through media partners (FOX)? The GOR protects media partners first, and indirectly the member schools no? Is there any precedent here? NU, A&M, MIZZ?

Conference exit fee's would clearly go to member schools.
GoR money goes the conference. The school signs their media rights away to the conference. The Big12 didn’t sign a GoR until all those schools left. I could be wrong, but I think we were the first conference to sign one. Last I knew the SEC and B1G didn’t even have one but that may have changed since.

CyJam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
Yeah you have zero idea of what I actually have knowledge on. But you can dumb my post, that's fine. The people that do know me and what I do would definitely take what I said seriously.
ESPN cutting jobs in CT?

• Winner
Reactions: jctisu

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Of course they don't have 4 MW games per week. They've got 20 total games they are committed to over 13 weeks and there isn't a scenario where they consistently show 3 games in one day, that's not CBS's MO.

Notre Dame has a history of being completely flexible so I'm sure they'll just go ahead and move game times to accommodate a league that they clearly think they're better than.

I'd love to be proven wrong if it ups the dollars that the Big 12 gets but I'm pretty confident that both networks got exactly what they wanted with the deals they've already signed.
Where are you getting your CBS info.?

CBS again, is showing 4 MW Conf games total on CBS as national broadcasts for the entire season. They're showing 27 more on CBS Sports Network only over 13 weeks.

NBC's showing a B1G night game in prime time. Wouldn't it make sense to have a lead in to ND? I would think a 2:30 PM start would be preferable. It would put them directly in competition for the entire game with ABC's, FOX's and ESPN's games starting at that same time slot.

We don't know for certain if CBS or NBC is done with their college football inventory. My guess would be they're not.

There are open slots on both networks. The money they can make from broadcasting college football dwarfs something like a CSI re-run.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I don't see ND moving for anything. That being said, 10 am kickoffs wouldn't upset me one bit to have a consistent presence on OTA.
I could see them moving times by an hour if the $$ from NBC was right. Also it would make NBC a destination station on Saturdays for CFB, right now its an outlier unless ND has a great game scheduled or you're a ND fan.

Edit, meaning it's good for ND's brand if NBC is a destination for CFB. Their AD is on record saying the B1G on NBC was good for ND for those reasons.

• Agree
Reactions: Klubber

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
What's so great about a 1:30 PM kickoff? An 11 AM lead in to a 2:30 PM kickoff gets them more viewers potentially.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonedogg

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
What does NBC show in the slot the weeks they don’t have ND? Maybe CBS could pick up the weeks were ND does play on NBC? Basically they split a tier.

Reactions: Clonedogg

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I'm not convinced the B1G will take all four of those teams. My money is on Stanford and Oregon. Cal will remain independent and UW is forced tot he Big 12.
I don't necessarily disagree although I think Washington and Stanford are better fits than Oregon (for the B1G).

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It wouldn’t shock me if they take all 4. Really just depends on what ESPN wants to pay to get into that late window for the B1G. ND could be saved for the next wave, when the ACC is raided.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Since the Big 12 is currently under contract with ESPN/Fox and this is technically a contract extension negotiation, I think that would affect the ability of CBS/NBC to be in the mix at this stage. Unless ESPN/Fox agree to it.
Yes, only those two would have ability, I meant that CBS and NBC has been showing interest (being in the mix) and if ESPN/Fox wait, they may have competition from those two when it comes up.

Reactions: LivntheCyLife

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Where are you getting your CBS info.?

CBS again, is showing 4 MW Conf games total on CBS as national broadcasts for the entire season. They're showing 27 more on CBS Sports Network only over 13 weeks.

NBC's showing a B1G night game in prime time. Wouldn't it make sense to have a lead in to ND? I would think a 2:30 PM start would be preferable. It would put them directly in competition for the entire game with ABC's, FOX's and ESPN's games starting at that same time slot.

We don't know for certain if CBS or NBC is done with their college football inventory. My guess would be they're not.

There are open slots on both networks. The money they can make from broadcasting college football dwarfs something like a CSI re-run.
Phrased poorly. 4 MW plus 16 Big Ten. 20 total.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I'm not convinced the B1G will take all four of those teams. My money is on Stanford and Oregon. Cal will remain independent and UW is forced tot he Big 12.
If it's one or the other I would take UW over OR all day. It's a bigger market and better academic institutional fit. OR better hope 4 get in.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If adding just USC & UCLA are difficult adds for Big10 from a travel logistics. Adding just Houston or SMU to the Pac12 is a non-starter.

The Big10 is 16 teams, the SEC is 16 teams. Both may be reaching for 18 or 20. Seems to me Big12 and Pac12 schools are going to want to be in similar sized conference.
We’ve been losing optics in math challenged media since we moved down to 10 and others went to 14/15. 16 will be nice. When sec/b10 take their ACC teams we add some too.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What would be great about that would be you'd never see the same ad in a loop like 3 times in a row during a commercial break.:jimlad:

There was one cruise line ad on Pluto that they showed literally non-stop.
Where do you think you’re going? Girl? Where do you think you’re going?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Does Big 12 w 4corner addition and other 4 need new brand? It’s only 25 years old and half the league would be new teams? If they add 4 acc down road even less “big 12”.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron