ESPN CFB Playoff Simulator

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Crazy to see that tOSU didn't even make it out of the first round for the three determined seedings to choose from.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
A college football playoff would be really bad news for me. I am a bowl junkie, but this would be that x 10.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Hey in my random drawing Mizzou won the national championship. That would be so cool to see, a national champion that no one could ever claim was not the best team in the nation.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Maybe I love simulations too much! :biglaugh:

I ran an 8 team simulation from the top 8 in the BCS, and got these results (national champ victor in BOLD)

Oklahoma vs. Missouri
Georgia vs. Virginia Tech
Ohio State vs. Virginia Tech
Ohio State vs. LSU
Oklahoma vs. LSU
Georgia vs. Missouri
Ohio State vs. Missouri
Oklahoma vs. USC
Oklahomaa vs. Virginia Tech
Georgia vs. LSU

So, in the NC game, here's each team's record, ranked according to highest win %

Georgia 3-0
Oklahoma 3-1
LSU 2-1
Virginia Tech 1-2
Missouri 1-2
Ohio State 0-3
USC 0-1

One thing I found interesting is that, according to ESPN's AccuScore, they give Ohio State a 51% chance to beat KU. Even further, the winner of OSU/KU would play the winner of OU/Georgia, and OU had a 49% chance to be Georgia. Considering how evenly matched the two brackets were, when it came to the two victors duking each other out, OU/Georgia were huge favorites against OSU/KU.

Hmmmmm.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
If you look at who is the best team in college football right now, it would be hard to say anyone is playing better than Georgia right now. They look insane. That is why a college playoff would be so cool. That one hot team could run all the way and win it.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
the only thing that this thing doesn't allow, is what a LIKELY playoff would look like. Put all the conference champions in there, and then fill the remaining 5 spots with whomever you want. There is no way in hell that the NCAA would allow a 16 team playoff without putting conference champions from the mid-majors in the mix.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Yeah, that's the only thing that bummed me out about the simulator, and that was the distinct lack of Sun Belt, MWC, MAC, CUSA, and WAC teams.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
D3 has a 32 team playoff. D2 has a 24 team I believe. I think FCS is 16. I kind of like the 28 or 24 team playoff. Get some more teams involved and give the higher seeds a bye.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I just looked at the bracket...used the BCS Top 16. Wow...some great match-ups in the first round. Kansas and West Virginia...Hawaii and USC...Oklahoma and Illinois...

Would really be fun to see.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I kept doing it over and over trying to get Hawai'i to win, they never made it past the second round. I guess it is just not ment to be for them. I was also ticked that Illinois always made it to the second round and sometimes farther.

markshir

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Haiwai'i won the first and only time I did it. I stopped after that, because seriously...

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
D3 has a 32 team playoff. D2 has a 24 team I believe. I think FCS is 16. I kind of like the 28 or 24 team playoff. Get some more teams involved and give the higher seeds a bye.

A 28-team playoff would, IMO, include enough of the 120 teams (about 23%) to make the playoffs a prestigious postseason destination, and would allow all conference champions to get automatic berths and give the Top 4 seeds first-round byes. It would help bring the prestige back to postseason play and give the elite teams something to shoot for (first-round bye and home field advantage).

Of course this completely disregards the bowl system, politics, money, travel, etc., but from a fan's perspective it sure would be fun to watch.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron