Equipment Sale Feb 5th

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Muir Embroidery in Jefferson does a great job. If you are in the Des Moines area they will be at the state fair grounds Feb 12-14 probably for Iowa Beef Expo. It would probably have a one day turnaround. I've had them do some stuff for me.

I've always purchased the clothing from them but I bet they would do it the price just might be a little more?

Would they send their % to the AD or pocket it? Sounds like counterfeiting scheme to me.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Where does the old athletic equipment go. They have to replace helmets every year or two, don't they? With all the color combinations there should be hundreds (thousands?) of helmets for sale every year or so. Same with jerseys. Where do they go? T-shirts, practice clothes etc etc.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Where does the old athletic equipment go. They have to replace helmets every year or two, don't they? With all the color combinations there should be hundreds (thousands?) of helmets for sale every year or so. Same with jerseys. Where do they go? T-shirts, practice clothes etc etc.

Can't speak for Iowa State but UNI pays to have helmets refurbished and donates them to high schools.

• Informative
Reactions: MJ29 and NWICY

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Can't speak for Iowa State but UNI pays to have helmets refurbished and donates them to high schools.
I would think that unless they go with a different (i.e., more expensive or safer) helmet design or maker, ISU reuses their football helmets for as long as possible. And yes, they can be returned to the factory for refurbishing. And they probably do that with a lot of their helmets each year, for a modest cost.

UNI "donating" theirs to high schools seems almost too generous, considering the cost. But good for them if true.

Reactions: I@ST1

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Considering the cold weather, why did they not wait a month or two before holding this sale? If lines lines extended outside. Just a thought.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would think that unless they go with a different (i.e., more expensive or safer) helmet design or maker, ISU reuses their football helmets for as long as possible. And yes, they can be returned to the factory for refurbishing. And they probably do that with a lot of their helmets each year, for a modest cost.

UNI "donating" theirs to high schools seems almost too generous, considering the cost. But good for them if true.
Agree with the UNI part, for a school with a broke budget, it would make the least sense for them.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Remember, we've only got one set so you're talking like 12 helmets per year. We don't have 500 helmets sitting in an equipment room somewhere.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Remember, we've only got one set so you're talking like 12 helmets per year. We don't have 500 helmets sitting in an equipment room somewhere.
Come again? I'm not understanding what you are saying.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Iowa State gives some away. I won a Liberty Bowl uniform (pants, jersey, helmet) in a raffle that I got entered into for buying my tickets through the athletic department.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Sorry. It's the helmets of graduating guys that don't want them or choose to donate them so it's not some huge monetary investment.
Understood. Thx. I hadn't thought about players maybe having the option to keep or buy them after their playing career was over.

For sure the least expensive helmet fit would be a for a Freshman that stays 5 years and graduates as a redshirt senior. He would only need minor fit adjustments each year for his helmet (along with maybe yearly or every-other year refurbishing). Don't know about the recommended wear of a helmet (* apparently about 10 years?) before they must be 'retired' from active use. I wonder if most players turn their helmet(s) in permanently upon leaving school/ISU or graduating. My guess is they turn them in, but I have no idea.
*https://www.momsteam.com/basic_information_football_helmets_reconditioning_recertification_concussion#:~:text=Home » Football Helmets,accepted for reconditioning

The best helmets available now, like the Vicus Zero2 have come down to $699 or so in rough cost. Still pretty expensive. If used between multiple players, as they leave/graduate, refurbished when needed, the cost per helmet/per player/per year could decrease significantly over a 10 year period.
ZERO2 (vicis.com)

I can see now why helmets don't come up for sale that often.

Helmet re-conditioning article:

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I know that used to be the case but I think helmets carry a much shorter shelf life than they used to.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron