Eli chooses, Fran loses

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think it’s too early to make judgments on Freshman other than Keegan. Kris, Ulis, and Perkins haven’t gotten enough reps to give me an idea of their potential. I think Dubar and Blackwell are going to be solid, the weird off-season definitely messed with their development, and I’m sure it’s the same deal with the Iowa freshman.
I'm not holding my breath, but wouldn't be surprised if one or both transfer out. Iowa avoids turnover, whether good or bad, because Fran gives reps to the young players. I used to be critical of him using end of bench players in important games, often to the demise of the team in that specific game, but what it does buy for him is loyalty from his players. A coach willing to sacrifice a few wins so his players don't transfer out---bold strategy, but this is Fran we are talking about.

ClockHawk69

Mar 18, 2021
Iowa
I'm not holding my breath, but wouldn't be surprised if one or both transfer out. Iowa avoids turnover, whether good or bad, because Fran gives reps to the young players. I used to be critical of him using end of bench players in important games, often to the demise of the team in that specific game, but what it does buy for him is loyalty from his players. A coach willing to sacrifice a few wins so his players don't transfer out---bold strategy, but this is Fran we are talking about.
The only time Iowa has ever had a large amount of turnover was when Cook, Dailey, and Moss left. Since then, Iowa has been on a 2 year run of some great moments.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
And kids like/similar to Garza will always have a place in college basketball. Other than the fact that I have loved watching him play and wish him the best going forward it's really a mute point what he does after this season. Sign me up for another kid just like him for 4 years with the Hawks. He's brought nothing but positive attention to himself and the U of I. I think his future looks great no matter where he ends up.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Amazing iowa had the best player in the country and franny mcdoucheface still couldn't win a second game in either tournament.

Great for him with the AP award, but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I hear that statement from Hawk fans. There are so many players that are a lot better than Garza. He is NOT the best player in the country. Not even close.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Garza probably the best offensive player in the country but not overall. In games against athletic bigs, he was really limited especially on defense.

StagecoachMike

Mar 24, 2021
Considering he finished 2nd last year and averaged 30 points a game this season, he was probably the first player on the voters minds this season. Not counting last year, when's the last time the AP player of the year came from a team that didn't get past the 2nd round?

Reactions: Cytown12

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Garza probably the best offensive player in the country but not overall. In games against athletic bigs, he was really limited especially on defense.

He can't drive either. He can shoot jump shots and bully his way to a basket down low. Can't play defense.

The cocky guy with the mustache from Gonzaga is better. The young big man from Illinois is better. I'd also take the dude from Loyola that looks like the fat guy from Super Troopers over Garza. I won't even get into all of the guards who are all around better players than Garza. Garza is good, but come on people.

Reactions: Cytown12

Expert

Mar 4, 2021
Considering he finished 2nd last year and averaged 30 points a game this season, he was probably the first player on the voters minds this season. Not counting last year, when's the last time the AP player of the year came from a team that didn't get past the 2nd round?

It happened in 2014 with McDermott and 2016 with Valentine.

Reactions: ClockHawk69