Egor Koulechov will not visit :(

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
The below would be one of our best rebounding groups in some time:

2: Egor
3: Babb
4: Juiston
5: Young

Wed have a ton of flexibility to play big or small.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Egor and Juiston would be the greatest offseason gets a guy can ask for. They can take anyone else for the other 2 spots and I will be equally happy though I am hoping they go with either one more combo guard and a sit out transfer.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
No kidding.

I love how "in" we are on guards and wings.

I know they are more plentiful and we need more of them to run our system.

But the single point of failure on Juiston -- unless Young and Lard are going to bring it next year, and I mean beyond their years -- is troubling.

KU restocking its front court elsewhere gives me a ton of hope.

Hopefully he wants PT from Day 1. Only Prohm can promise him that.

He drops right into Deonte's role and spot in the rotation and we're goin'.

Depends on what you're trying to do. We don't need Juiston to make the tournament next year. SY proved himself in a huge way this year. Lard contributing would be a bonus. No matter how hard people wring their hands Tim Duncan and David Robinson aren't going to be playing at ISU at the same time.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
The below would be one of our best rebounding groups in some time:

2: Egor
3: Babb
4: Juiston
5: Young

Wed have a ton of flexibility to play big or small.

I would imagine in that scenario the starting lineup would be:

1. Wiggington
2. Jackson
3. Egor
4. Juiston
5. Young

W/ Babb, Lewis, Lard coming off the bench. I agree, despite the lack of size, would be a big improvement rebounding.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Depends on what you're trying to do. We don't need Juiston to make the tournament next year. SY proved himself in a huge way this year. Lard contributing would be a bonus. No matter how hard people wring their hands Tim Duncan and David Robinson aren't going to be playing at ISU at the same time.

IMO I think we will have a stronger offensive identity next year and we will finally get to see what CSP wants to run. I expect our offense to have better ball movement/flow and we will see less one on one ball. We saw high level ball movement at times this year but we were often too content on relying on iso plays. Young did a really solid job in P&R situations and sealing his guy on the block to get position. We rarely rewarded him for it and I think that will change next year.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yep, if we land Juiston and one of these grad transfers, we could end up being a better overall team.

We can offset some of our losses with better rebounding and slight defensive improvements.
Maybe it's the annual offseason optimism, but I totally agree. We'd be a more complete team and thus, as crazy as it sounds, we could be a better team. I'm a big believer in your as good as your best player(s), but not having a weakness is effective too.

We were winning games while getting crushed on the boards, and for 2/3 of the year a hole on defense. If we become better on defense and rebounding we'll offset the increase in TOs, although maybe not the efficiency on offense.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

1. Wiggington
2. Jackson
3. Egor
4. Juiston
5. Young

W/ Babb, Lewis, Lard coming off the bench. I agree, despite the lack of size, would be a big improvement rebounding.

I think it's pretty set in stone our lineup will be

1. Wigginton
2. Jackson
3. Grad Transfer/JUCO guard/wing
4. Hopefully Juiston
5. Young

Just need Juiston and one of the guard options and we are a tournament team again IMO

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
I think it's pretty set in stone our lineup will be

1. Wigginton
2. Jackson
3. Grad Transfer/JUCO guard/wing
4. Hopefully Juiston
5. Young

Just need Juiston and one of the guard options and we are a tournament team again IMO

I guess I see it more as:

1. Jackson
2. Wigginton
3. Babb/Egor/Brown/Edwards
4. Juiston/Young
5. Young/Lard

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I've been wondering if I'd even want to sign both since it would take minutes from every freshman but Wigginton... then I remembered that winning is all that matters, and we can deal with bringing them along when we have to. Go get these two and we're just as good as we were this year.

I mean, I love McNeil as much as anyone on the internet and I think Lewis will be really good, but these guys take one year from them and there's nothing saying they can't get spot minutes. It's not like we're bring in sit one play 3 elite transfers.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

1. Wiggington
2. Jackson
3. Egor
4. Juiston
5. Young

With two more to give, too. (And I also think McNeill would be at times one of the first off the bench, if Babb doesn't improve his shooting.)

IMO I think we will have a stronger offensive identity next year and we will finally get to see what CSP wants to run. I expect our offense to have better ball movement/flow and we will see less one on one ball. We saw high level ball movement at times this year but we were often too content on relying on iso plays.
I know we expect near perfection, but that's a pretty high bar to surpass. We were awfully good at moving the ball last year imo. I think we were also the most effective P&R team. If we're to be better, I doubt it's due to a crisper, more technically sound offense with high level execution. Even if we grab Juiston and Brown/Egor/Alstork, I wonder if we'll have that go-to mismatch that we've enjoyed for years.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I think McNeill will grow into the role of being our 3 pt threat which may take a year or two to develop.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
With two more to give, too. (And I also think McNeill would be at times one of the first off the bench, if Babb doesn't improve his shooting.)

I know we expect near perfection, but that's a pretty high bar to surpass. We were awfully good at moving the ball last year imo. I think we were also the most effective P&R team. If we're to be better, I doubt it's due to a crisper, more technically sound offense with high level execution. Even if we grab Juiston and Brown/Egor/Alstork, I wonder if we'll have that go-to mismatch that we've enjoyed for years.

Babb brings a whole lot to the floor beyond shooting, and I expect him to improve his shot a lot too. I think he'll have a decent sized role regardless of who we bring in.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

P&R was pretty much our bread and butter last year but I wouldn't say that our ball movement was awfully good last year. Listen, I'm not saying we won't struggle offensively but I do think that we will have a clearer idea on what CSP wants to run. We ran a lot of P&R and iso plays because that's what our seniors were used to running. I think that changes moving forward and that we will move the ball around the perimeter but the only way that changes is if you acknowledge the player on the post.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Babb brings a whole lot to the floor beyond shooting, and I expect him to improve his shot a lot too. I think he'll have a decent sized role regardless of who we bring in.
Yep, which isn't mutually exclusive with the thought that McNeill at times will be in the rotation if Babb doesn't improve his 3P shooting.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
P&R was pretty much our bread and butter last year but I wouldn't say that our ball movement was awfully good last year. Listen, I'm not saying we won't struggle offensively but I do think that we will have a clearer idea on what CSP wants to run. We ran a lot of P&R and iso plays because that's what our seniors were used to running. I think that changes moving forward and that we will move the ball around the perimeter but the only way that changes is if you acknowledge the player on the post.
I doubt our ball movement will be better. It was good last year and a team of new guys typically doesn't carve-up offenses with astute passing. I do think we'll look into the post more, though.

Synergy Sports Tech‏ @SynergySST

Here is a final look at the most efficient pick & roll (ball handler) scoring teams in DI college hoops for the 2016-2017 season.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CY88CE11

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

There's a big difference between Pick and Roll and High Ball Screen/False high ball screen with the big guy diving to the paint. The way we did it with Young wasn't to get him looks by diving to the paint it was to get rebounding position and create space either by dragging a defender down with him or by clearing space physically. Pick and roll/ick and pop is designed to get the screener looks and that's not what we did last year.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Egor and Juiston would be the greatest offseason gets a guy can ask for. They can take anyone else for the other 2 spots and I will be equally happy though I am hoping they go with either one more combo guard and a sit out transfer.
If we got these two with the three freshmen, have we had a better recruiting year?