Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007
I guess I see it more as:

1. Jackson
2. Wigginton
3. Babb/Egor/Brown/Edwards
4. Juiston/Young
5. Young/Lard

Agree with this for a starting 5. But what's interesting about next year is that so many will be in the running (at least from the outside looking in) for the available minutes.

What if Lard is a much better rebounder than Solomon? What if Lewis' 3-point shooting "forces" coaches to play him major minutes? What if Jakolby is really good (but we couldn't see it as he was behind multiple seniors this year)?

It should be fun to watch. (This won't be a popular analogy but it'll be how Hawkeye fans surely felt about their team this year, albeit we'll have a better record at the end of the year.)

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I would imagine in that scenario the starting lineup would be:

1. Wiggington
2. Jackson
3. Egor
4. Juiston
5. Young

W/ Babb, Lewis, Lard coming off the bench. I agree, despite the lack of size, would be a big improvement rebounding.

I personally think Babb will have something to say about that. Third year in the program the guy is a ridiculous athlete in that 6'5" frame. He needs to turn into a 35 - 40% three point shooter and simply play with more confidence sky is the limit.

Its and great problem to have if youve got 6-7 players who are good enough to start for a top 25 caliber program.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Agree with this for a starting 5. But what's interesting about next year is that so many will be in the running (at least from the outside looking in) for the available minutes.

What if Lard is a much better rebounder than Solomon? What if Lewis' 3-point shooting "forces" coaches to play him major minutes? What if Jakolby is really good (but we couldn't see it as he was behind multiple seniors this year)?

It should be fun to watch. (This won't be a popular analogy but it'll be how Hawkeye fans surely felt about their team this year, albeit we'll have a better record at the end of the year.)

They might have had the same hopes for freshmen but they went in with those hopes being the only hope of winning. Their floor was so much lower than ours would be even if you just add one of the perimeter guys and Juiston. Essentially what we have right now, today, is what they had going into the season. We will add at least 2 more potentially great players.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
They might have had the same hopes for freshmen but they went in with those hopes being the only hope of winning. Their floor was so much lower than ours would be even if you just add one of the perimeter guys and Juiston. Essentially what we have right now, today, is what they had going into the season. We will add at least 2 more potentially great players.
And Iowa is in the tournament with better coaching and a couple less bad losses. TCU is another similar team. They're a better home court advantage from being in the tournament.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I like Babb, but Koulachev would be the starting 3 if he were to commit. He's literally the perfect fit for our wing need.

This. Babb will be nice off the bench. Babb could start for a lot of teams, but we want to build a great team. Recruiting over good players is part of the game if you want to win.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I don't see Wiggington starting over Babb. Maybe come postseason, Wiggington can start at PG but I am pretty sure Jackson will run point to start. The athleticism, defense and rebounding potential from a lineup consisting of Jackson, Koulachev, Babb, Juiston/lard and Young would be a great sight. Having the luxury to bring Wiggington, Lewis and either Lard or Juiston off the bench for at least an 8 man rotation would be amazing.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't see Wiggington starting over Babb. Maybe come postseason, Wiggington can start at PG but I am pretty sure Jackson will run point to start. The athleticism, defense and rebounding potential from a lineup consisting of Jackson, Koulachev, Babb, Juiston/lard and Young would be a great sight. Having the luxury to bring Wiggington, Lewis and either Lard or Juiston off the bench for at least an 8 man rotation would be amazing.

oOTTyHRHj0HYY.gif

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

It could go either way with Jackson and Wiggington at PG, but the other will still start and both will bring the ball up at times so its irrelevant. Just because Babb isn't starting doesn't mean he isn't playing a lot. Remember when McGee played as much or more than some starters without starting?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It could go either way with Jackson and Wiggington at PG, but the other will still start and both will bring the ball up at times so its irrelevant. Just because Babb isn't starting doesn't mean he isn't playing a lot. Remember when McGee played as much or more than some starters without starting?
I agree. McGee was 6th in average minutes played both years, but some games he was a focal point.

As for Babb, I think he could start. But the important thing is that if he's starting over these grad transfers it means he made the leap we're all hoping for.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

Prohm himself said Babb had the most pro potential on the team. If he is going to live up that potential the time is now. He is an upperclassmen and been with the program longer than anyone else on the roster. I expect him to look like a different player out there next season.

Wigginton is a five star recruit for a reason though....the last thing we want is a reputation of signing heralded recruits and not throwing them out there off the bat.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Correct. I seriously doubt any of the grad transfers will be committing to any program where they aren't the penciled in starter game 1.
Absolutely. We all like our current guys/commits, but we better be selling not only startering spots, but star roles. Once the season comes you manage the feelings, which Prohm has proven to be good at.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Not saying it isn't possible but name me one 5 star player that went anywhere other than Duke, UK, KU, or any other blue blood and didn't start. Bet you can't.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Correct. I seriously doubt any of the grad transfers will be committing to any program where they aren't the penciled in starter game 1.

This. It's the reason why we're in on every good GT right now. Recruiting isn't that hard when you can give guarantees.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
How many 5 star recruits are not starter and get beat out by guys that average around 4-5 points a game? I can't think of any. Wiggington will start. Baby will get his minutes but how many depends on who else we get this year

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It would be awesome if we can land Juiston and Egor. The competition for minutes would make everyone better and the team as a whole better. We have a lot of unknowns going into the season. Pretty bold to think anyone is a lock to start, but there are definitely favorites. This time last year, very few would have predicted Young would have been our starting post as a freshman. Hard to sleep on guys like Lard, McNeil, and Lewis without seeing them play.

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Not saying it isn't possible but name me one 5 star player that went anywhere other than Duke, UK, KU, or any other blue blood and didn't start. Bet you can't.
I can name 2 from the class of 2016 off the top of my head so I'm sure there are more.
Zach Collins - Gonzaga
VJ King - Louisville

Your point stands though. Wigginton definitely starts next season.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I think some of us are overthinking this. Wigginton is a virtual lock to start - as others have stated Iowa State is not a school where a 5 star recruit is going to go to and come off the bench. Prohm has stated that he prefers 8 guys max to be in the rotation, so this would be my ideal scenario:

1-Wigginton/Jackson
2- Jackson/Wigginton
3- Egor
4- Juiston
5- Young

6-Babb
7-Lewis
8- Lard

Sit-outs - Shayiok & Morrow

We lose a lot of shooting off of last year's team, but with Jackson & Egor we still have two dead-eye 3pt threats in the starting lineup as well as being a much better rebounding team with adding Egor & Juiston.

• Agree
Reactions: ILikeBacon