eBay Question

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
I recently sold an item on eBay for roughly $170. I offered free shipping as a selling point, so I didn't give the buyer the option to select insurance, confirmation, etc. I shipped the item to South Carolina last Monday via USPS Priority Mail, but did not pay for insurance or confirmation.

The buyer is now claiming that he has not received the item. Since I mailed it Priority Mail, he should have received it by now I would think. Am I screwed, since I went cheap and didn't pay for insurance and/or confirmation? I assume I will have to refund the money to him, as I have no way of proving whether he received it or not. I have sold numerous items on eBay before and have never had a problem. The buyer has a feedback score of 56 with no negative feedback, so he doesn't have a record of cheating anyone apparently.

I guess I should have paid for the confirmation, given the value of the item.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Yeah I think you're out of luck, without those 2 things I know paypal won't help you out and really there's not much to show you mailed it either. Sucks.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I wouldn't give up on it getting there yet considering it went USPS + the weather we've had this week. Just try to stay in contact with the buyer and try to resolve this through USPS, ebay, and/or paypal if possible. In the future I would use confirmation on a package of that value, but that is the one thing I hate about USPS. You just hand over the package and who knows what happens to it after that???

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
I think you get delivery confirmation for free anytime you send something Priority Mail. Do you still have your receipt? If so it should have the confirmation number on it. If not take the receipt to the post office you mailed it at and see if they can look it up for you.

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
I think you only get confirmation for free if you print your priority mail label through PayPal. It was an extra option when I paid for priority mail through the automated postage center at the post office. I do have the receipt from that though. I just wonder whether the buyer is trying to screw me or whether it truly got lost in the mail. I responded to his last e-mail saying that I would give it another couple days, then I would check with USPS to see if they could do anything. I guess I learned my lesson to get delivery confirmation if its a larger dollar amount. It would be worth the few extra dollars in those cases.