Earthquake Rocks East Coast

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
I've been in Richmond, VA since 2010 and remember the 2011 earthquake well. At the time, I was an officer recruiter for the Navy, covering all of the colleges in Virginia. I was on the phone with my main contact at VMI, about 2 hours west of Richmond. He was a fellow submariner and ROTC instructor, and he would refer students to me that couldn't get ROTC scholarships. In the middle of the conversation, it went something like this.
Me: Whoa, I think there's an earthquake!
Him: No way!
Me: Yeah, the building is shaking.
...3 seconds later...
Him: Wait, I feel it too!

It was pretty fascinating to experience that in real-time.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023
I was at work in New York north of NYC about hour or so, gave the conference room I was in a good shake, and I'm not in a small building. Luckily no damage found so far to our manufacturing equipment. Was always told IBM (and now others) built semiconductor facilities here due to relatively earthquake (and other diasters) free zone

Reactions: Cyclonepride

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
We felt one in central Iowa about ten years ago (originating in Oklahoma, I think) and while it was very minor and I wasn't in any danger, it was one of the most unsettling feelings I can recall.
That was on a Saturday morning. We were camping. Our camper rocked back and forth for about 10 seconds. We thought one of our camping friends was trying to be funny. Heard it on the radio later that it was an earthquake! Probably a once in a lifetime thing for the Midwest.

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Not a big one, but still one that can cause a little damage and scare the **** out of someone. Not an area used to it either.
download (5).jpeg
Here we go.... Earthquakes in New York, Cicada Invasions coming in May, Eclipse on Monday. Sorry folks, it's the beginning of the end!!

Wait, are the cicadas.....*maths*

Dagnabbit, you're right. Stupid alien things from the ground.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Since 1950, about 20 quakes with a magnitude above 4.5 have occurred on the East Coast, according to United States Geological Survey. More than 1,000 (of that magnitude) have occurred on the West Coast during that time frame. [Source: AP]

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Whether or not you feel a quake depends on a lot of different things: where exactly you are (like on the ground, in a reinforced concrete building, in a skyscraper, etc., or in a mountainous area with a lot of sold rock or land that is flat, mostly soil or sand, which will carry the earthquake waves more easily); what kind of shock wave is created by the quake (a hard jolt - which I believe is called a 'p' wave - that is more easily felt at lower magnitudes or an 's' wave, which is more of a rolling motion); how far you are from the epicenter or if you're near the fault that may have caused a quake, but not necessarily near the epicenter, among other things.

In 1989, I lived in Santa Rosa, California during the 6.9 Loma Prieta quake which had an epicenter southwest of San Jose, or ~120 miles from where I was. There was no significant damage in Santa Rosa. But the city is built on an dry lake bed, so it's very sandy, loose ground which amplifies the waves of a quake. AND the building I worked in that afternoon was specifically built to *move* during a quake as it was constructed using base isolation so that the foundation was not rigidly fixed to the ground. So we REALLY rocked and rolled as the shockwave moved through, but the building did exactly what it was supposed to do in a quake - move. Items IN the building weren't as lucky, however. I had to hold onto the counters to keep my balance. Loma Prieta was felt as far south as the northern LA suburbs, east to Reno, and north to Eureka.

An interesting clip from the 5:00 newscast on October 17, 1989, out of Sacramento, the studio is still shaking from the quake as they come back from their first commercial break. A short time into the clip, the anchors are on the phone with a reporter of theirs who was covering the World Series at Candlestick Park in San Francisco and he describes what he felt and informs them of the first news of a section of the Bay Bridge collapsing. Interesting stuff (to me, anyway).

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
When son was in Pasdena, he slept through a much stronger quake. His apartment complex in NJ is sorting through repair requests. He’s conveniently visiting friends in Rochester for the eclipse, but he doesn’t think it will be too bad after talking to one of his neighbors.

There was structural damage and evacuations in Newark. Didn’t Aaron Rodgers buy a John Wick looking house in NJ? I think he bought far enough away from Lebanon that it won’t look like the “after” pictures.

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I have survived earthquakes in three different states!
California, Georgia and Ohio.
/ sarcasm

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Since 1950, about 20 quakes with a magnitude above 4.5 have occurred on the East Coast, according to United States Geological Survey. More than 1,000 (of that magnitude) have occurred on the West Coast during that time frame. [Source: AP]
What's grossly understated as well is how much further the effects are on the East Coast vs the West Coast. The earthquake can oftentimes be felt 2-3x further away (as well as damage) out East because of the density and type of rock underground.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math