Early Thoughts On Next Season?

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Can we stop with this Prohm doesn’t play two bigs at the same time? He has in the past for Iowa State. It wasn’t until Monte’s senior year where we saw the switch to a four guard lineup. I think most of the issues come from a lack of quality big men and bigs that can spread the floor.

I believe we will see 2 bigs in the lineup at times next year. That is of course if MJ can improve his outside shot and Young can drain threes too (wasn’t he 1/1 from three this year). It blows to lose Lard, but I believe GC can step up and be serviceable in his role. Plus that guy loves being a Cyclone.

Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007
Can we stop with this Prohm doesn’t play two bigs at the same time?

I dunno if Coach will play 2 bigs, but I do think that between MJ, Solo and George, there's surely a way to get two of them on the floor at the same time, at least for parts of the game.

AND indeed Solo was 1/1 shooting the three this year, plus he shot the 3-ball well his senior year in HS. So even if his 3-point shooting falls dramatically to 50%.... :)

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Can we stop with this Prohm doesn’t play two bigs at the same time? He has in the past for Iowa State. It wasn’t until Monte’s senior year where we saw the switch to a four guard lineup. I think most of the issues come from a lack of quality big men and bigs that can spread the floor.

I believe we will see 2 bigs in the lineup at times next year. That is of course if MJ can improve his outside shot and Young can drain threes too (wasn’t he 1/1 from three this year). It blows to lose Lard, but I believe GC can step up and be serviceable in his role. Plus that guy loves being a Cyclone.

Exactly - the roster has dictated the four guard lineup. When the team was playing early in the season without Lard, ISU had Jacobson and Conditt. When Lard came back he was injured, suspended and horribly foul-prone. Not enough reliable minutes there to really game plan to play two bigs. Sure you could throw two of them out there in a game, but then you are probably ditching your game plan. Next year very well could, and probably will be different, especially if THT is gone and Solomon is clearly back to full health.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

Even in Monte's senior year, he played with two bigs at least a little bit. I think I specifically remember Bowie throwing a lob to Young for a dunk in the Big 12 tournament.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Even in Monte's senior year, he played with two bigs at least a little bit. I think I specifically remember Bowie throwing a lob to Young for a dunk in the Big 12 tournament.

That team would do both. It started 4/1, but it would put the pedal down, replaced a big with Jackson or Nick, put Burton at the 5, and just see what happens.

It would put Bowie along with Solomon, too, as you noted.

I am fine with a base 4/1 and/or starting games like that, but I think having a little more flexibility and a few more looks to throw at people is good, too.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
You play two bigs if you think it creates an advantage. I don't think that was the case with Jacobson and Lard this year. If I was an opposing coach and they were on the court together, I would play four guards and make one those guys try to guard someone on the perimeter. On the other end, both guys are ok in the low post but neither guy scares me.

I actually think Conditt paired with Jacobson or Solo makes playing two bigs more likely. I think Conditt is more comfortable guarding in space than Lard. Plus I could see those guys being more effective in a high post/low post offensive set.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
What is the consensus on Zion Griffin? Obviously a lot of guys were in front of him...alot. Any possibility he could develop into a scorer giving us some minutes? Although it didn't come to that for Talley his last year. Realize some of you said his shot is flat, but other than that I don't remember a lot about his game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
What is the consensus on Zion Griffin? Obviously a lot of guys were in front of him...alot. Any possibility he could develop into a scorer giving us some minutes? Although it didn't come to that for Talley his last year. Realize some of you said his shot is flat, but other than that I don't remember a lot about his game.

I believe Eric Steyer got into a game late this season in which Zion never did get put in. He was playing about the least minutes of anyone near the end of the year. Maybe he wasn't healthy, I don't know, but he wasn't getting any meaningful time at all.

I have serious doubts if he'll ever help us here at ISU. Hope I'm dead wrong, but there have been other rumblings on this site about how he may never be what anyone thought he would be.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I believe Eric Steyer got into a game late this season in which Zion never did get put in. He was playing about the least minutes of anyone near the end of the year. Maybe he wasn't healthy, I don't know, but he wasn't getting any meaningful time at all.

I have serious doubts if he'll ever help us here at ISU. Hope I'm dead wrong, but there have been other rumblings on this site about how he may never be what anyone thought he would be.

This is easy to verify and is wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think Zion just got off to a slow start due to injury. He didn’t get to play much, but he has good size and was always active when he was on the floor. WIth Shayok and THT gone, I could see him playing the four some in our four guard lineup. He has the size and post experience to guard a forward.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is easy to verify and is wrong.

I just remember a game late this season when Prohm was emptying the bench, and he didn't put Zion in. People talked about it on this site. It was strange. I'm not positive if Steyer got in that game or not?

But maybe Zion wasn't healthy or in the doghouse? Who knows?

I just think he has a ways to go, that's all.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I kind of think his shot may be salvageable. It seems to me that the arch issue would be easier to fix than some motion problems. It’s weird to watch his HS highlights and then see how he shoots now.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I just remember a game late this season when Prohm was emptying the bench, and he didn't put Zion in. People talked about it on this site. It was strange. I'm not positive if Steyer got in that game or not?

But maybe Zion wasn't healthy or in the doghouse? Who knows?

I just think he has a ways to go, that's all.

It happened against West Virginia. I think what happened was that Conditt fouled out and they had to get a body on the court. I wasn’t watching the game by this point just checking the score on my phone so take that fwiw.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
We could see a bigger lineup next year. Playing Jacobson/Young at the 4 and Conditt at the 5. Zion at the 4 when we want to go smaller.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
We could see a bigger lineup next year. Playing Jacobson/Young at the 4 and Conditt at the 5. Zion at the 4 when we want to go smaller.

Conditt
MJ/Solo
Lewis/Zion
Prentiss (spell?)
TH/Young

I think it would almost necessity, I dont think we have the fire power to play 3 ball next year.