Dyersville Field Of Dreams Visit

chadw1975

Nov 20, 2017
So, I was just at FOD this last Saturday and caught a Ghost Player game. They have two more scheduled in August, the 5th and the 26th. The game on the 5th starts at 1:00 and the 26th is a night show, starts at 7:00. I HIGHLY recommend trying to bring your visitors to one of these events. This was about a one hour “show” put on by the ghost players dressed in their authentic Sox wool uniforms. It was basically a comedy show where they pulled random kids from the audience and let them hit balls to the ghost players and run the bases. It was really entertaining and the kids that participated were having a blast. Bring your own lawn chairs and they asked for a donation for parking but was otherwise free. There was probably 300 people there and from all over. Saw plates on cars from Canada, New York, Texas, California and everything inbetween. They let the crowd come out on the field after the show for “catch” and pictures with the ghost players. My family had a great time. 100% wholesome midwest entertainment. Defintely try to get out there for one of these events. FYI they also serve refreshments at the site.

Granted, I am from Dubuque, so pretty used to the area. We stopped at Chad’s Pizza in Dyersville before the show, I highly recommend over Happy Joes. And we drove back into town afterwards for gelato at the new Millwork Creamery right next to Textile. Gelato was a little pricey, but very good.

I second all of the comments on Park Farm Winery. Most weekends they have live music on their deck and their woodfired pizzas are excellent. I definitely prefer their wine over Stone Cliff. The setting at Park Farm is beautiful, especially if you catch a sunset.

Their are many better options food wise to pick in the area than Breitbachs and Bluff Lake, although the experience at both is something to see. My food recommendations are Brazen, L May and Pepper Sprout, all in Dubuque and all a little on the pricey side, but well worth it.

If you are Cyclone fans and into beer at least stop for one at Jubecks in Dubuque. The owner is an ISU alum and the beer is worth checking out.

Another possible idea is to catch a movie at the 61 Drive Inn in Maquoketa if your guests are into that and you have enough time.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
A couple of places I want to mention that I haven’t seen posted yet.

1. Copperkettle - this is probably one of my favorite restaurants in Dubuque. Dishes are typically about $15 - $25. Space is pretty cozy so not ideal for large groups.

2. Darkbird Taphouse - this is a new taphouse in Peosta which is located between Dyersville and Dubuque along Highway 20. The food has been pretty solid the few times I have eaten there. FYI- this place does gets busy during peak hours.

3. Habits Donuts - located downtown Dubuque. They specialize in making mini donuts and put an assortment of toppings. I think some of the topping combos are pretty meh, but a fresh fried doughnut always taste good.

4. Gehlan Inn Guest House - a brewery located about 15 miles south of Dubuque on Highway 52 in a small town called St. Donatus. An old limestone barn turned into a brewery which makes for a pretty unique setting to drink a beer in this area.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
A visitor from New York State is coming for a week in August and has requested to see the Field of Dreams. Other than driving past Dyersville a few times, seeing the movie, and parts of the recent MLB games, I really don't know what there is to see there.

Thus, I'm calling on CFer's ever reliable bottomless font of information for some idea of what there is there to see/experience.

Thinking of making a day of it. Maybe up to Pikes Peak, and lunch or at least a piece of pie at Breitbachs. Website indicates it's only open Thurs-Sunday???

Anything else worth adding to the jaunt?

(One of the party is awaiting hip surgery so not extremely mobile, so nothing involving walking any distance is going to work.)

TIA

The corn should be peak size at least. Bring gloves and a ball. Even a bat if you want to hit (if nobody's around). Walk into the corn and and then out of the corn onto the field. Get a picture of your New York friend doing those things. Dubuque has the Mississippi River museum. Drive from Dubuque to Marquette and McGregor.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
So, I was just at FOD this last Saturday and caught a Ghost Player game. They have two more scheduled in August, the 5th and the 26th. The game on the 5th starts at 1:00 and the 26th is a night show, starts at 7:00. I HIGHLY recommend trying to bring your visitors to one of these events. This was about a one hour “show” put on by the ghost players dressed in their authentic Sox wool uniforms. It was basically a comedy show where they pulled random kids from the audience and let them hit balls to the ghost players and run the bases. It was really entertaining and the kids that participated were having a blast. Bring your own lawn chairs and they asked for a donation for parking but was otherwise free. There was probably 300 people there and from all over. Saw plates on cars from Canada, New York, Texas, California and everything inbetween. They let the crowd come out on the field after the show for “catch” and pictures with the ghost players. My family had a great time. 100% wholesome midwest entertainment. Defintely try to get out there for one of these events. FYI they also serve refreshments at the site.

Granted, I am from Dubuque, so pretty used to the area. We stopped at Chad’s Pizza in Dyersville before the show, I highly recommend over Happy Joes. And we drove back into town afterwards for gelato at the new Millwork Creamery right next to Textile. Gelato was a little pricey, but very good.

I second all of the comments on Park Farm Winery. Most weekends they have live music on their deck and their woodfired pizzas are excellent. I definitely prefer their wine over Stone Cliff. The setting at Park Farm is beautiful, especially if you catch a sunset.

Their are many better options food wise to pick in the area than Breitbachs and Bluff Lake, although the experience at both is something to see. My food recommendations are Brazen, L May and Pepper Sprout, all in Dubuque and all a little on the pricey side, but well worth it.

If you are Cyclone fans and into beer at least stop for one at Jubecks in Dubuque. The owner is an ISU alum and the beer is worth checking out.

Another possible idea is to catch a movie at the 61 Drive Inn in Maquoketa if your guests are into that and you have enough time.

Jubecks is a great choice! Their strawberry rhubarb wheat ale is made with rhubarb from my place. Give it a try and tell me what you think!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Jubecks is a great choice! Their strawberry rhubarb wheat ale is made with rhubarb from my place. Give it a try and tell me what you think!

So how much rhubarb do you raise? how much was needed for the beer?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
So how much rhubarb do you raise? how much was needed for the beer?
I'm not sure how much it takes. I have a single 4x15 foot bed and they don't clear cut mine by any means when they come, but it's probably approaching 50# worth. They collect it from others as well in the area. They can only make it each spring for the whole year's supply, and when it's gone it's gone. All I've ever asked is a couple six packs of it in return. They've always been good for it on my end.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
A couple of places I want to mention that I haven’t seen posted yet.

1. Copperkettle - this is probably one of my favorite restaurants in Dubuque. Dishes are typically about $15 - $25. Space is pretty cozy so not ideal for large groups.

2. Darkbird Taphouse - this is a new taphouse in Peosta which is located between Dyersville and Dubuque along Highway 20. The food has been pretty solid the few times I have eaten there. FYI- this place does gets busy during peak hours.

3. Habits Donuts - located downtown Dubuque. They specialize in making mini donuts and put an assortment of toppings. I think some of the topping combos are pretty meh, but a fresh fried doughnut always taste good.

4. Gehlan Inn Guest House - a brewery located about 15 miles south of Dubuque on Highway 52 in a small town called St. Donatus. An old limestone barn turned into a brewery which makes for a pretty unique setting to drink a beer in this area.
All four of these are tremendous additions, to the other suggestions! Good work ML!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
St Donatus is a beautiful area as well. That area is the original settlement point of a bunch of Luxembourgers who immigrated to the US back in the late 1800s - including my maternal grandfather's family.