Dune Universe Thread

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
After finishing the 3rd book, I honestly hope they don’t because it goes off the rails with Leto.

It does become supremely weird once you reach Children.

And then exponentially so with God Emperor.

I never thought Heretics and Chapterhouse were very interesting or additive to the original trilogy. God Emperor is a very interesting meta-commentary on the first three if you can get into it, though.

The good news is the Sci-Fi series does an excellent job of simplifying the plot of Children and delivering its essential elements without being too weird. Like I said, too, it has an excellent soundtrack and some very good performances from Alec Newman (who was "meh" as Paul and okay as Muad'Dib but then excellent as burnt-out Emperor Paul and even better as The Preacher), Susan Sarandon, and a young James McAvoy.

It has been a while since I read the books but I thought a further layer of why the Emperor set this all up was that the Harkonnen were getting too wealthy from controlling spice production for 80 years. He knew that a war between Harkonnen and Atreides was a two birds one stone fix. It would seriously hamper Atreides from continuing to gain the power of favor with the other houses (they would be decapitated and cease being a major house) and it would damage the wealth and military might of the Harkonnen. In the movie they even allude to how much even the first blow of the war cost the Harkonnen treasury.

This paragraph is a good reading of the situation.

The Emperor isn't throwing his lot in with the Baron and Harkonnens. Their "alliance" is one of convenience to eliminate a mutual enemy -- the Emperor wants to destroy Leto and the Atreides, the strongest threat to Corrino rule, and the Baron wants to destroy an ancient rival. The Baron is also well aware of the political crisis brewing over the Emperor's lack of a son. Eliminating the Atreides has the added benefit of removing one of the other potential successors to the throne, and the Baron thinks he's smart enough to maneuver one of his nephews onto the throne by eventually pinning the Emperor such that Irulan must marry one of them. It's the same plan Leto had for Paul, after all, if he could force a political settlement with the Emperor later.

The Baron is very aware how expensive this enterprise will be for him -- a lifetime of income. But he thinks it is worth it to accomplish long-term goals of eliminating the Atreides, the short-term goal of marrying Irulan to a Harkonnen heir, and the long-term dividends of controlling the profits from Arrakis. And its a good plan, really. It almost worked. There were just one or two little things he didn't have in his plan.

There's another whole layer under this regarding what the Bene Gesserit want, too.

These sorts of elements are why I love this series so much. The politics are complex, layered, and realistic, and the characters leading the different factions (Atreides, Harkonnen, Corrino, and Fremen) all have an understandable set of motivations and behave intelligently given what they know and want.

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
George Lucas is the wealthiest plagiarist in the history of the planet...

View attachment 124493
I think there are other works and story conventions that George borrowed much more from than Dune, and I don't think I see a whole lot of parallels between Jabba and Leto, but that is funny.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think there are other works and story conventions that George borrowed much more from than Dune, and I don't think I see a whole lot of parallels between Jabba and Leto, but that is funny.

Picking up on your previous point, yes, I don't think God Emperor is filmable.

Basically nothing happens. It's a philosophy treatise, not really a novel.

Trying to keep this as generic as I can given this is a family site, though I would be very interested to see how somebody would even try to film the scene involving a woman watching...

The Duncan climb a rock wall and causing her to... well... read the book.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Picking up on your previous point, yes, I don't think God Emperor is filmable.

Basically nothing happens. It's a philosophy treatise, not really a novel.

Trying to keep this as generic as I can given this is a family site, though I would be very interested to see how somebody would even try to film the scene involving a woman watching...

The Duncan climb a rock wall and causing her to... well... read the book.
Hehe. There are about 500pgs in that book and that one line gets talked about more then anything. Frank was a horn dog.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hehe. There are about 500pgs in that book and that one line gets talked about more then anything. Frank was a horn dog.

Watch out for this guy ladies...

1709155718864.png

I'm going to take this reply to posit that, thinking through it, maybe God Emperor is not quite as unfilmable as I thought it was with only a quick thought. You'd just have to change the perspective around.

God Emperor is an apologia for the bad guy... Leto and his family before him were the worst tyrants in human history. Most of the book is an attempt for him to justify himself "for the greater good."

So, tell the story from the perspective of the resistance... with Siona and the Duncan instead of with Leto and Moneo. Make the God Emperor as dark, scary, sinister, and powerful of a figure to their resistance as he intended himself to be as the head of the Imperium. A political thriller like that could work.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Watch out for this guy ladies...

View attachment 124718

I'm going to take this reply to posit that, thinking through it, maybe God Emperor is not quite as unfilmable as I thought it was with only a quick thought. You'd just have to change the perspective around.

God Emperor is an apologia for the bad guy... Leto and his family before him were the worst tyrants in human history. Most of the book is an attempt for him to justify himself "for the greater good."

So, tell the story from the perspective of the resistance... with Siona and the Duncan instead of with Leto and Moneo. Make the God Emperor as dark, scary, sinister, and powerful of a figure to their resistance as he intended himself to be as the head of the Imperium. A political thriller like that could work.
Yes I think this would work. People root for the down trodden and rebels vs the Tyrant motif is ever present. However at some point at the end they have to show the Golden Path. The purpose and meaning of Leto II and his sacrifice and commitment and the "failing" of Paul. The audience needs to see the greater purpose for his Reign of Tyranny.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yes I think this would work. People root for the down trodden and rebels vs the Tyrant motif is ever present. However at some point at the end they have to show the Golden Path. The purpose and meaning of Leto II and his sacrifice and commitment and the "failing" of Paul. The audience needs to see the greater purpose for his Reign of Tyranny.

Sounds like one hell of a third-act twist to "subvert your expectations."

Turns out it's more complicated than simply good and bad.

Paul and Leto did what they did for what were good reasons to them. Everybody bad guy thinks they're the good guy of their own story. We'd learn that in the end the same way Siona did.

Reactions: bosco

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Sounds like one hell of a third-act twist to "subvert your expectations."

Turns out it's more complicated than simply good and bad.

Paul and Leto did what they did for what were good reasons to them. Everybody bad guy thinks they're the good guy of their own story. We'd learn that in the end the same way Siona did.
Yes, it needs to be done this way. I'll await our creative credits at the end of the movie.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Only a little Dune related, but I think Stellan Skarsgard is a terrific actor and has had a fascinating career. I found this interview pretty entertaining. Talks a little bit of Dune at the end.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I've got tickets for this Tuesday. Can't wait!!!! Looking forward to re-watching the first movie at home this weekend in preparation.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Wanted to point out I did NOT work on this item…but kind of crazy that I could have been responsible for it and had drawn up something similar but slightly less fleshlight looking way back prior to first movie.
Honestly, it might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I love it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Wanted to point out I did NOT work on this item…but kind of crazy that I could have been responsible for it and had drawn up something similar but slightly less fleshlight looking way back prior to first movie.

I'm glad you have finally commented on it because I have been curious all along if you were the mastermind behind it. In their defense, until everyone started to point out its sexual connotations, I thought it was really cool.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I'm glad you have finally commented on it because I have been curious all along if you were the mastermind behind it. In their defense, until everyone started to point out its sexual connotations, I thought it was really cool.
I'm for sure getting one of those buckets just for the memes

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I did concept something very similar 3 years ago but no cup shape element…more like a sculpture.

The thing is…eventually you’d try to do those teeth and silicone is the only safe way for a food grade item. The original movie where it was more like 3 beaks could have looked less sex toy.

Reactions: Triggermv

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron