Dune Universe Thread

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Not to disparage our ongoing "Saw Dune" thread, but with Dune 2 officially greenlit, as well as the upcoming Dune: The Sisterhood HBO Max prequel series coming up, I figured it was time to start a thread for this expanding ongoing universe. With that said, the following are a few of the latest articles detailing both upcoming projects:

It is also worth noting that Denis has said recently he always imagined himself directing a 3-film arc, which would include Dune Part 1, Part 2 and Messiah. If he were to get to direct all 3, his plan would be to step back and do other projects at that point.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
As a new person to Dune after watching this first movie, I've been trying to put my finger on how to describe Dune to another outsider. Here is what I've come up with. It's Star Wars meets Game of Thrones meets Avatar, all mixed into a cerebral heavy science fiction cocktail. How did I do?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
As a new person to Dune after watching this first movie, I've been trying to put my finger on how to describe Dune to another outsider. Here is what I've come up with. It's Star Wars meets Game of Thrones meets Avatar, all mixed into a cerebral heavy science fiction cocktail. How did I do?

If you liked it I think you'll love the second half. Regardless of how people like it, it is the first half of the first book done well.

Would have been a real gut punch if they couldn't finish it.

Dune is a lot like global Earth energy business, politics and military conflicts too. Arrakis/Iraq etc. It's so obvious and non debatable I don't think saying that could even lead to the cave.

The more time goes by the more I think the most impressive thing is a book in the 60s predicted that AI would be such a danger that computers are banned but advanced machines without computers are everywhere. From this year 2021, I think a T2 or Matrix future where machines take over is much more likely than an AI ban.

The new movie makes it less obvious than the first, but each house has a "mentat" character that is basically a human computer who uses spice to augment their mind to perform at the level of a computer. It's there, but they don't club you over the head with it like the book and first movie.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
What human civilization was not built on "The spice must flow"?
The answer is : Not A One.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The thing that was interesting after watching Dune is clearly seeing the influence it had on George Lucas making Star Wars. Lucas has always talked about Dune being an inspiration behind Star Wars and there are some VERY CLEAR parallels, whether that be spice, the desert planets, an over lording emperor, or even a cultish force wielding religion with the power to control people's actions. That is only to name a few of the parallels.

Reactions: VeloClone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If you liked it I think you'll love the second half. Regardless of how people like it, it is the first half of the first book done well.

Would have been a real gut punch if they couldn't finish it.

Dune is a lot like global Earth energy business, politics and military conflicts too. Arrakis/Iraq etc. It's so obvious and non debatable I don't think saying that could even lead to the cave.

The more time goes by the more I think the most impressive thing is a book in the 60s predicted that AI would be such a danger that computers are banned but advanced machines without computers are everywhere. From this year 2021, I think a T2 or Matrix future where machines take over is much more likely than an AI ban.

The new movie makes it less obvious than the first, but each house has a "mentat" character that is basically a human computer who uses spice to augment their mind to perform at the level of a computer. It's there, but they don't club you over the head with it like the book and first movie.

Like a Metaverse?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The thing that was interesting after watching Dune is clearly seeing the influence it had on George Lucas making Star Wars. Lucas has always talked about Dune being an inspiration behind Star Wars and there are some VERY CLEAR parallels, whether that be spice, the desert planets, an over lording emperor, or even a cultish force wielding religion with the power to control people's actions. That is only to name a few of the parallels.

The genius of Lucas was the excecution. Great cast, great ships, unbelievable Special Effects for the time, and great characters. He lifted most of the actual beats from other works and that's fine.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
FC-w4JxXsAc6eks

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think the easiest way to describe it to someone who has no clue about it is similar to what you said. It has the Universal expanse and unique abilities of Star Wars within the (known universe) and also has more of an aspect of Houses and political maneuvering and deep seeded dialogue like Game of Thrones.

I do think it is worth stating that this is also very much a story about the Fremen, not so much the Atreides as it seemed to be set up, so although we have this landscape set, we have really only scratched the surface of what the "real" story is. It's hard to truly give an idea of what the "DUNE" story is by just talking about this movie, so you have to keep it in somewhat layman's terms for now to not truly spoil anything.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I think it is telling that you describe Dune with things heavily influenced by it, not the other way around. I would describe it as a mixture of these things, which actually did influence Herbert --

-- Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces, which defines the "ur-myth" of human culture, history, and literature. Dune is a deconstruction of Campbell, however... Paul is really not a hero... unlike most films that use Campbell as a playbook that they follow to the letter, like Star Wars or the MCU.

-- Shakespeare, especially the more political histories and tragedies. Herbert was explicit that the political machinations of Dune were directly inspired by the Bard of Avon, especially the Henriad.

-- Lawrence of Arabia, both his real life and his autobiography, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom. I have often noted Lawrence of Arabia the film is one of the few movies better than the actual book. Other historical figures, especially Alexander the Great, factor into the characterization of Paul and the plot.

-- Greek tragedy, especially Aeschylus, to the point the House of Atreus featured in the Oresteia is technically the same as House Atreides in Dune. Both concern the multigenerational struggles of a powerful royal house and all the political intrigue, struggle for honor, and the struggle for vengeance.

-- Asimov's Foundation series, though I would also argue that Dune is a deconstruction of Foundation in arguing trying to engineer a regimented future for humanity is a terrible idea. Herbert was definitely influenced by Asimov and his bringing of political themes to a futuristic galactic empire, however.

There are more, but those were the ones that immediately came to mind.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I think the easiest way to describe it to someone who has no clue about it is similar to what you said. It has the Universal expanse and unique abilities of Star Wars within the (known universe) and also has more of an aspect of Houses and political maneuvering and deep seeded dialogue like Game of Thrones.

I do think it is worth stating that this is also very much a story about the Fremen, not so much the Atreides as it seemed to be set up, so although we have this landscape set, we have really only scratched the surface of what the "real" story is. It's hard to truly give an idea of what the "DUNE" story is by just talking about this movie, so you have to keep it in somewhat layman's terms for now to not truly spoil anything.

Yeah, I've heard the heavy Fremen part of what you are saying from some friends who have read the book. That part of it is why I'm getting some serious Avatar (aka Ferngully knock-off) vibes along with the Star Wars and Game of Thrones.

Reactions: srjclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I do think it is worth stating that this is also very much a story about the Fremen, not so much the Atreides as it seemed to be set up, so although we have this landscape set, we have really only scratched the surface of what the "real" story is.

I think I hear you echoing my post from the other thread about the opening scene of Part One.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yeah, I've heard the heavy Fremen part of what you are saying from some friends who have read the book. That part of it is why I'm getting some serious Avatar (aka Ferngully knock-off) vibes along with the Star Wars and Game of Thrones.
Yeah, @Sigmapolis said it very well in the Saw Dune thread. How the first scene where it lays out the situation that Fremen have been dealing with, not only the Harkonnens, but the Imperial Rulers as a whole. If you haven't read the books, they all but say that this is a story about Dune and the Fremen, not Atreides, in the first paragraph of the book. But it doesn't really come to the forefront until later.

The first paragraph if interested: (not really a spoiler but will place the tag just in case people don't care to know)
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows. To begin your study of the life of Muad'Dib, then, take care that you first place him in his time: born in the 57th year of the Padishah Emperor, Shaddam IV. And take the most special care that you locate Muad'Dib in his place: the planet Arrakis. Do not be deceived by the fact that he was born on Caladan and lived his first fifteen years there. Arrakis, the planet known as Dune, is forever his place.

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I plan on texting my step-son and getting the lowdown from him on this movie.

I'll act accordingly.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Christopher Walken was just cast in the role of Emperor Shaddam IV. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Christopher Walken, but the picture I had in my mind from the books of the Emperor looks and acts nothing like Walken.

• Agree
Reactions: helechopper

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
How they handle Alia is going to be the biggest thing to the next movies I think. That could go really well or really poorly and I wonder if it goes a slightly different way than the book i.e. Zack Snyder in Watchmen.

Also, a third movie over the second book is really only going to cover like the last 40 pages, right? Maybe it was just me but the constant talking in riddles for the first 90% made my head spin.

Can't wait for Part 2.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
How they handle Alia is going to be the biggest thing to the next movies I think. That could go really well or really poorly and I wonder if it goes a slightly different way than the book i.e. Zack Snyder in Watchmen.

Also, a third movie over the second book is really only going to cover like the last 40 pages, right? Maybe it was just me but the constant talking in riddles for the first 90% made my head spin.

Can't wait for Part 2.

You are correct, Alia is going to be a tough tough cast. Having a 4-year-old with the intelligence and smarts of a 40-year-old is inherently a hard task. They pretty much are going to have to go with an older girl who looks much younger than she is. The closest comparison with that level of wit was Mckenna Grace when she was younger. Alia is pretty similar to Mckenna's role in The Gifted.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota

Christopher Walken was just cast in the role of Emperor Shaddam IV. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Christopher Walken, but the picture I had in my mind from the books of the Emperor looks and acts nothing like Walken.
I agree, I suppose my image more closely matches the 80's one with Jose Ferrer. The padishah emperor is more of a intelligent but not wise type of guy, there is going to be an aura of nobility which Walken doesn't exude.

Reactions: Triggermv

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron