Dog with separation anxiety

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
We have an eight year old German shepherd/Welsh corgi mix (yeah, I know, that puts some weird pics in your head, doesn't it?) that has terrible SA. Every night when we come home from work, she yips and barks uncontrollably, skitters around at our feet, and just generally becomes a nuisance for about 10 minutes. I come home for lunch every day, so it's not like she is alone for super long periods of time, but I just don't get it.

I will say that she needs a lot more exercise than we are able to give her, as she constantly paces and follows us (mostly my wife) around the house if we are busy. Not really sure what to do - I'd like to find her a home, maybe with some kids that could exercise her and take some fo that nervous energy out of her, but the wife probably won't go for it.

And this is for carver's - she is absolutely a pee camel! We have had situations where she has been alone in the house for 8+ hours, and she has never had an accident! It's pretty amazing.

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Moving to a new location can be tough.

When we moved the dog wouldn't even walk on the kitchen floor as it was sheet vinyl and she perceived it as ice or something very slick. We put down rugs for her to hop between. It was hilarious.

But more importantly she was very uncomfortable there. Fortunately we had several months of moving process as the old house did not sell for a while so she had time to get accustomed to the new place. By the time we stayed there full time she was accustomed to being there so it was no problem.

Reminded me of when we first went to FL for the winter and she had to stay with my sister as the place we stayed (no choice) did not allow dogs. Sister said she whined and stood by the door for 2 or 3 days. We felt sad for her but also felt good that she missed us so much.

Turns out the joke was on us. The next year after we purchased our own place that allowed pets we brought her with us that year, of course. She whined and carried on at our place just like she did at my sisters. Turns out it wasn't US she missed - just her familiar surroundings.

Reactions: carvers4math

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
We got a ~1 year old dog from the shelter with separation anxiety almost two years ago. The first day we tried to kennel him and he broke out. Then we tried zip tying the kennel so he couldn't break out. That worked, but he pulled up a bunch of carpet through the bottom of the kennel and bloodied his paws trying to get out. The next time we left we let him roam the house and he didn't destroy anything, but had several accidents because he was nervous. We tried the calming treats you can buy on amazon but those didn't do anything, so we got medication from the vet and it actually is pretty effective. He only has maybe one accident a week, and that is usually if it is storming or something. We also play this music while we're gone because we don't have cable.

https://www.youtube.com/user/relaxmydog

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
We have 2 boxers. One is 2 years old and he doesn't need his kennel when we are gone. We put up a gate and he's secluded to the foyer/kitchen. The 9 month old boxer will go in her kennel when we are gone, but she's been escaping as of late. It's almost as if we are going through the kennel training stages again for some reason. She seemed to be just fine previously until as of late. Not sure what the change is. I'm sure it's because she wants to be out with him but I can't trust her yet because she tends to pee STILL. She can hold it through the whole night, but not for 4 hours a day. (I come home for lunch)

Ideas?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
And this is for carver's - she is absolutely a pee camel! We have had situations where she has been alone in the house of 8+ hours, and she has never had an accident! It's pretty amazing.

They are smarter than we give them credit for. When we were gone for 18.5 hours for that wedding, we could tell he ate and drank very little, except I suppose for his drinking out of the toilet thing that is a little more difficult to assess consumption.

We got a ~1 year old dog from the shelter with separation anxiety almost two years ago. The first day we tried to kennel him and he broke out. Then we tried zip tying the kennel so he couldn't break out. That worked, but he pulled up a bunch of carpet through the bottom of the kennel and bloodied his paws trying to get out. The next time we left we let him roam the house and he didn't destroy anything, but had several accidents because he was nervous. We tried the calming treats you can buy on amazon but those didn't do anything, so we got medication from the vet and it actually is pretty effective. He only has maybe one accident a week, and that is usually if it is storming or something. We also play this music while we're gone because we don't have cable.

https://www.youtube.com/user/relaxmydog

Kudos for getting a shelter dog and committing to him through his problems. Our dogs have been shelter dogs and they sometimes come with heartbreaking problems but I find them to usually be less hyper than dogs that relatives have gotten elsewhere. My brother has had several purebred golden retrievers that are fairly psycho. A couple of nieces have gotten different purebred dogs and they also are crazy. Really the only problem our dog has is his terror about storms, but he doesn't destroy things, he just keeps me awake at night with his incessant licking and panting when there is thunder and lightning. We got him when he was about four months old and the vet said he was malnourished and saw signs of physical abuse. Even though he is a huge lab mix (and the mix part turns out to be some pretty large breeds), he is so very gentle and lets very small children do about anything, from pulling his tail to trying to put a Disney princess Halloween costume on him.

Reactions: cyclonespiker33