Does anyone else have trouble watching ISU play on TV live?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
For me, it's frustrating to watch them on TV (sometimes radio), but when I go to the games I'm fine.:mask: I change the channel whenever ISU makes a mistake or the game is close. I find it much more enjoyable to watch replays. This only happens to me for Iowa State games. Anyone else like this?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Its kind of frustrating when you watch on tv and everything is replayed over and over and the tiniest mistake is highlighted and you're just like, "seriously, why didn't you just stick your arm out and knock down the pass", or "go right, go right, go right! and he went left".

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Nope I have no problem watching them on tv. Being in the Jack is better but if not then watching them on tv is great.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I live in Eastern Iowa. I have no idea what watching Iowa State on TV is like.

wherenext100

Jul 7, 2010
Sometimes my girlfriend wants me to stay home and watch ISU with her in the dark basement on the leather sectional. Would you go to Trice if you had that offer?

mac4cy

Jul 16, 2009
Urbandale
I agree. I also turn the channel or leave the room when the game gets close. I have been known to wake my children from my yelling and my daughters have learned a few choice words because of the Cyclones.:yes::yes:

tellmac

May 10, 2006
I live in Eastern Iowa. I have no idea what watching Iowa State on TV is like.

Eastern Iowa is A vast wastland for Cyclone fans. Really poor coverage. NO it is just Hawkeye country!!! There are many ISU alumni AND fans in eastern Iowa and western Il.

OC Cyclone

Mar 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
For me, it's frustrating to watch them on TV (sometimes radio), but when I go to the games I'm fine.:mask: I change the channel whenever ISU makes a mistake or the game is close. I find it much more enjoyable to watch replays. This only happens to me for Iowa State games. Anyone else like this?

I am having trouble taking this thread seriously. So there's people out there that prefer to watch replayed ISU football over the real-live thing? The thought of this makes my head hurt...

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO

(1) Yes. It's easier to attend the game.
(2) FSN had an awful football game color commentator in 2009. I don't know his name but I do hope he's not on the network in 2010. FSN carried the majority of the ISU football games last year in the Chicagoland area. I watch the games on FSN with the sound muted, because of the color commentator.

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
It is easier to watch in person.

I do tend to yell a lot when I watch at home (I yell at the stadium too but it isn't so out-of-the-ordinary there!:wink:). I scare the dog A LOT because it thinks I am yelling at it.:sad:

The thing I always have to tell myself is "Self, NOTHING you do here is going to affect the outcome of them game" because I (like others) try to turn the channel or something thinking that if I do, it will bring good luck or if I stand up during 4th downs it will help, etc. I just keep telling myself "It isn't like CPR says 'Team, Ryan just turned the channel, now it is time to kick it up a notch!'":biglaugh:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

(1) Yes. It's easier to attend the game.
(2) FSN had an awful football game color commentator in 2009. I don't know his name but I do hope he's not on the network in 2010. FSN carried the majority of the ISU football games last year in the Chicagoland area. I watch the games on FSN with the sound muted, because of the color commentator.

I find a lot of FSN color commentators annoying — or maybe it's the same one over & over again. Possibly the one you're describing, but I don't know his name.

Re: the OP — I don't have a difficult time watching live, but I do notice a couple of differences between how I watch ISU games compared to other games:

1. Obviously, it's a more intense experience, because I'm truly "rooting' for ISU, as opposed to pulling for a team in a non-ISU game. I can tell I'm totally more focused on the action, and not just letting it unfold.

2. I noticed in recent years, I watch off-the-ball a lot in ISU FB games, especially when we're on defense. I rarely do this with non-ISU games (or NFL games when I'm watching my team). I think that sometimes leads to frustration because if I'm watching DBs or LBs, and not the ball QB, it seems like our defenders are out of position or should be closer to the ball carrier — but if I was watching it "normal" I might not view it that way.

Does anyone else do that?

I could see doing this if I was a coach (or had played CFB on defense, maybe) --- but I don't know why I watch it differently.

I do it a little when watching ISU BB, too, but not nearly as much as in football.