Do you support the Rec services renovations?

Do you support the Rec services renovations?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Out of curiosity I see several people tossing around the $200/student for 25 year number. Is that remotely accurate, or is that just a number that someone randomly made up? If that's the case someone really needs to check there math or find the University a better interest rate. That's $100 Million assuming that the fee only gets assessed to 20k students. If it gets assessed to 25k that number jumps to $125 Million.

It's actually an EXTRA $100/student, bringing it to a total of $300/student/semester. I originally threw that number out because I wasn't sure of the exact number, and I didn't want to overshoot.

From the e-mail sent to students:
Student Fees for the Extreme Makeover: Recreation Renovation Project:
Student fees will be needed to fund the Extreme Makeover: Recreation Renovation project. Fees would be assessed in a phased progression. Once the renovation/construction begins after the spring 2009 semester, student fees for this phase of the project would be $20 per semester for the first two (2) years. The Lied Recreation Center will be air conditioned in the summer of 2009, which is the first year of the project. In year three of the project, when the renovations and new addition will be open for student use, student fees for the project would increase to the full amount of $107 per semester and continue for the remainder of the 25 year bond period. The anticipated completion
date for the entire project is 2011.

The fee charged to students this semester (at least for me, a senior in engineering), was $194.66

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I enjoy making use of rec facilities and I think it would be great to have the new proposed upgrades and new facilities. However, I am against footing the entire bill on the students. Granted it doesn't really effect me as I will be graduated before the new fees set in and well before construction is complete, but it's the principle of it. tuition is hard enough to pay as it is, and is steadily rising. greater education needs to stay (become?) affordable, and extra fees aren't helping the cause.

Last edited:

mclatch

Jan 24, 2008
Roland IA
I'm all for it! It's a great idea and unfortunately it does have to be paid for by someone. I think you'll find that overall, the cost to benefit ratio would outweigh any other supplementary/extracurricular office on campus. A far greater percentage of students use and value the rec facilities and offices than do say... the Sloss House, LGBTSS offices, or Learning Communities. Yet - students pay for those as well. So if you have a gripe against the proposed fee for recreation services you may also want to turn your attention to tutition. There is a greater opportunity for savings there. Consider what the "fee" is for services you don't use, never intend to use, and don't value.

My only question is - will staff be allowed to use the new facilities? ;)

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
I find it humorous that I voted for this renovation for the exact same reason many have said they voted against it...charging future students more money. I guess I'm still a little spiteful over the whole "differential tuition" thing, since I got the honor of being part of the class that got the first full charge but none of the benefits of the program. (Well, I did get to see some changes...I got to see all the computer labs in Howe opened up to everybody, so now if I want to work on a project in the middle of the day I can hunt through a bunch of people browsing Facebook or (today) WoW forums)

I guess I fail to see what the big deal is. Even if I had to foot the bill, a 1.1% tuition increase to the $9000 (plus room and board) I get to pay just to attend ISU isn't something I'd get upset about.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
...the facilities are pretty worthless to off-campus students.

I'm wagering that at least 1/2 (to be on the safe side) of "off-campus" students would beg to differ. There are plenty of students who stay on campus to work out after or before their classes. Especially with the 2 "high-rise" apartment buildings that have been built directly south of campus, it would give the "off-campus" students easier access to a rec facility (on the west side of campus rather than east side). I think they would love having a place like that within walking distance.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm wagering that at least 1/2 (to be on the safe side) of "off-campus" students would beg to differ. There are plenty of students who stay on campus to work out after or before their classes. Especially with the 2 "high-rise" apartment buildings that have been built directly south of campus, it would give the "off-campus" students easier access to a rec facility (on the west side of campus rather than east side). I think they would love having a place like that within walking distance.

Obviously, it will be beneficial to SOME off-campus students but I think the 50% number is WAY to high. Most student-oriented apartment complexes offer memberships to Ames Raquet and Fitness (which is what I use) and then there are the students that drive in from all over the surrounding area. I'm not even sure 50% of students use the recreation facilities, period, let alone 50% of off-campus students.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Anyone who doesn't support this obviously doesn't work out. Like many have stated there might as well not be a pool now because it isn't really available to the average student. And lied rec is so packed now its crazy trying to find a bench most nights. I really think this needs to be done I gurantee more people will work out if a nice rec is built by friley. Motivation is the single biggest reason people don't work out and if I really am not suprised people don't make the trip from friley to lied. With this new facility I really believe you will see a spike in people working out. I thinks thats all I have to say!

I don't support it and I work out everyday at Ames Raquet and Fitness...

What I do support is administrators doing what the students want since this is going to involve a huge tax (yes, it's a tax) on students. If a large majority of students want it as seen by this poll, then fine do it. However, if a majority of students say "No, we don't want to pay yet another student fee" then don't do it.

Last edited: