Do you care if there’s a MLB season?

• Yes

Votes: 104 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 199 65.7%

• Total voters

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Yeah, like xboxfever said, they reported it because that’s what Fred Manfred told them was gonna happen. Then he backtracked, several times.
He had to. The MLB can't unilaterally cancel games. Any "missed" games would have to be negotiated on by the league and the MLBPA. As such, the league and players agreed to make up missed games as double headers later in the season.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
If MLB ever fixed the blackout problems, they might have a shot at increasing their fan reach. I'm an MLB TV subscriber because my team is out of our region. I can watch them for most games through the season -- except when they play one of the blacked out teams. Cost is around $120. I would gladly pay more ($200-$250) if I was guaranteed to see EVERY game.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If MLB ever fixed the blackout problems, they might have a shot at increasing their fan reach. I'm an MLB TV subscriber because my team is out of our region. I can watch them for most games through the season -- except when they play one of the blacked out teams. Cost is around $120. I would gladly pay more ($200-$250) if I was guaranteed to see EVERY game.
This is still the stupidest, most inexplicable thing any sports league is doing. MLB seems to have been actively trying to destroy itself for years, and the blackout rule is one of the best ways they've destroyed their fanbase.

It's truly shocking how inept MLB ownership and leadership has been for years. They have left SO much money on the table, and the true reckoning is yet to come, as this fanbase is OLD.

The sport needs fans. Unfortunately they spent the last of the window where TV was king keeping games off TV. It's almost like they have no idea why two teams that were largely terrible, the Cubs and Braves grew a national fanbase in the 80s.

Reactions: somecyguy and MJ29

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
He had to. The MLB can't unilaterally cancel games. Any "missed" games would have to be negotiated on by the league and the MLBPA. As such, the league and players agreed to make up missed games as double headers later in the season.

Even so, the question was about why the media was reporting games were lost and weren’t going to be made up, and that came straight from the mouth of Manfred.

A9848571-4E52-49E7-9A72-0D4E083E16C7.jpeg

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/manfred-mlb-to-cancel-some-regular-season-games.html

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
I stopped caring about MLB when the black out rules got ridiculous. They obviously don't want me to watch anyway.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Even so, the question was about why the media was reporting games were lost and weren’t going to be made up, and that came straight from the mouth of Manfred.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/manfred-mlb-to-cancel-some-regular-season-games.html
Regardless of what he said, it was simply untrue. Some of the smarter baseball journalists pointed this out. Others simply just used Manfred's quotes like you said without calling him out on his BS because they didn't know any better.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
This is still the stupidest, most inexplicable thing any sports league is doing. MLB seems to have been actively trying to destroy itself for years, and the blackout rule is one of the best ways they've destroyed their fanbase.

It's truly shocking how inept MLB ownership and leadership has been for years. They have left SO much money on the table, and the true reckoning is yet to come, as this fanbase is OLD.

The sport needs fans. Unfortunately they spent the last of the window where TV was king keeping games off TV. It's almost like they have no idea why two teams that were largely terrible, the Cubs and Braves grew a national fanbase in the 80s.
Making one of the, maybe, 10 best players ever to play the game along with Ohtani nearly impossible to watch is an absolute stroke of genius.