DirecTV HD locals in Des Moines in November?

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
They are still going to compressed, so it will not be as good as OTA.

I'd bet they look every bit as good as the OTA signals will. Even OTA is compressed. DirecTV uses MPEG-4 instead of MPEG-2, so the reduced bitrate shouldn't really affect the quality of the picture.

Unless you have golden eyes, a huge screen, and high end everything else, I don't think you'll notice a difference at all.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I'd bet they look every bit as good as the OTA signals will. Even OTA is compressed. DirecTV uses MPEG-4 instead of MPEG-2, so the reduced bitrate shouldn't really affect the quality of the picture.

Unless you have golden eyes, a huge screen, and high end everything else, I don't think you'll notice a difference at all.

I can tell the difference between OTA HD and MPEG4 HD over satellite, plus as soon as it even sprinkles HD reception gets crappy, where as OTA never ever goes out (unless their transmitter dies).

Still I am excited to have locals on sat, that just means one less diplexer in my wiring rats nest.

BTW, for those that did not know, you can still diplex OTA on the HR20/21. You just have to work a little harder, I did that while the installer was there, he kept telling me that would not work, and then boom, I got KCCI-DT in perfect, he was shocked.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I can tell the difference between OTA HD and MPEG4 HD over satellite, plus as soon as it even sprinkles HD reception gets crappy, where as OTA never ever goes out (unless their transmitter dies).

Still I am excited to have locals on sat, that just means one less diplexer in my wiring rats nest.

I don't think the comparison is valid unless you're comparing HD to HD. Since none of the OTA HD channels are available yet in HD over satellite and vice-versa, it's hard to say what the difference is.

Also, I haven't noticed any HD issues via Satellite. When there's a heavy thunderstorm I'll lose both HD and SD briefly, but I notice just as many issues with OTA as I do with satellite, to be honest.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
You'll have both on your guide I believe. And I'd leave it that way - in those cases when your dish goes out from rain/snow. Plus, the OTA signal is better.

If this is true, I may not worry about upgrading our antenna to handle for the changes in Feb. '09. I can just use the satellite locals until next spring.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Glad I just spent $75 on an amplified antenna three days ago! I had called Directv when this thread started and the woman on the other end said there were still no plans to add HD to the DSM market. Why oh why can't I get simple things like this right?!?!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
so am I going to have to unhook the antenna or will the satellite signal win?

If you get good signal, keep the antenna, the other advantage is no rain fade when you want to watch Johnny Mac when the tornadoes are coming right at you. Of course you have the inside track, but the rest of us pleebs still watch John.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Also remember, they are only going to carry 8.1 13.1 etc. The rest of the subchannels will be OTA only.

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
If you get good signal, keep the antenna, the other advantage is no rain fade when you want to watch Johnny Mac when the tornadoes are coming right at you. Of course you have the inside track, but the rest of us pleebs still watch John.

Good point...I usually just have the phone in my hand and don't panic until she calls and tells me to.

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
Yes, the guy from Ames told me Dish will have locals in HD by the end of this October.

Isn't Dish network already have HD on the local stations, well before the end of Oct?

5-2 had ISU-Okie state game and I have been watching local stations in HD from mid summer on Dish when I upgraded to HD reciever. When I went off air station feed, only 5 , 11,&23 were not HD.

Last edited: