DirecTV Cancellation Fee??? After moving.

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
I recently moved after one year of my 2 year contract. I am living in an apartment (on the 2nd floor). Our landlord authorized the installation as long as it was on the balcony using C-clamps. When the installer came, our balcony faces north and to get signal must be facing south. Our landlord will not allow us to attach it to the roof or a post in the ground. Called direcTV and they said it would be $220 for the cancellation fee. They said we could have gotten out of the cancellation fee if there was no line of sight, and there was line of sight from the roof or other side of the building. I tried to explain ( and they agreed) that my apartment is my property. My living space, which should include the interior of my apartment and balcony. There is no line of sight from my balcony and the roof and ground are not my property. They said I could send an e-mail or written note to their billing place to try and get it waved.

Does anybody have any information on what I can try and do, or say to convince them to cancel it. Like law codes that specify that my apartment does not include those locations?

and has anybody ever sent a letter/email to this billing place in colorado? and had any luck?

Any information/experiances/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cydlined

Jun 11, 2010
Ames
I recently moved after one year of my 2 year contract. I am living in an apartment (on the 2nd floor). Our landlord authorized the installation as long as it was on the balcony using C-clamps. When the installer came, our balcony faces north and to get signal must be facing south. Our landlord will not allow us to attach it to the roof or a post in the ground. Called direcTV and they said it would be $220 for the cancellation fee. They said we could have gotten out of the cancellation fee if there was no line of sight, and there was line of sight from the roof or other side of the building. I tried to explain ( and they agreed) that my apartment is my property. My living space, which should include the interior of my apartment and balcony. There is no line of sight from my balcony and the roof and ground are not my property. They said I could send an e-mail or written note to their billing place to try and get it waved.

Does anybody have any information on what I can try and do, or say to convince them to cancel it. Like law codes that specify that my apartment does not include those locations?

and has anybody ever sent a letter/email to this billing place in colorado? and had any luck?

Any information/experiances/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Just get another cable company to pick up the cancelation fee. So if you are going to pickup mediacom, tell mediacom that you want to move to mediacom, but you have a 220 cancelation fee stoping you from going over to mediacom. Most likely they will pick up the bill for you.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
No, but as a landlord I hate satellite companies even though I have Directv at home. People call them without getting authorization from me and the companies come out, drill into the building, run new wires just because they don't want to deal with using the old ones and leave for me to clean up the mess. Literally, I've had to pick old dishes up off the ground that a dish installer took down and left, even after one of my employees told him to get rid of it. I also know that directv customer services sucks and dish is worse.

Thank you for checking with your landlord, I wish I had more tenants like you.

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
sweet, I'm planning on switching to mediacom, I'm glad I asked otherwise I would have probably payed the cancellation fee and switched.

I'm a Construction Management major and have worked for a hometown contractor that owns a lot of properties including a couple of apt. buildings the past 3ish years and totally understand the damage of satelites. Thanks for your help.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
you will be fine... I moved several years ago... had direct... our house had trees all around it... no direct view to the west... or whatever... didnt have to pay any termination fee... all was good... the installer will back you up

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron